Tail Injury

Just got home after being out for 3 hours - was greeted by a blood spattered dog :) On closer inspection its her tail tip that is doing all the bleeding - the whole tip is raw & bloody. Rang the vet & she cant see her till the morning - have cleaned it up & put some antiseptic on it. Is there anything else I can do?

If you do a search for 'greyhound tail' or 'happy tail' you will find some valuable information - happens all the time with greyhounds, there are some very good suggestions for keeping the tail tip protected.

I have found had success using savlon antiseptic powder on these kinds of injuries (helps dry the area out rather than the wet kinds of antiseptic),then some padding, or some greyhound trainers tape a hair curler on the tail (it lets the injury air but protects the tail from re-injury).

Sometimes it won't recur, but the more often it happens the more often it is likely to happen, mainly because scar tissue is more brittle than normal tissue, so it is more prone to split on impact. It can be an ongoing problem, but not always. ;) Sorry, that doesn't sound very helpful does it? :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread guys but .... Stell's tail is not healing :kissbetter: It seems to get better then she splits it open again. I've tried wrapping it but she just won't keep it on (thinks it's a huge game & find her with the bandage in her mouth) There seems to be more blood this time (about the 3rd) - big stripes up her sides & the tip is soaked.

I've moved her to a different sleeping area as I thought the wall of the house was the culprit for most damage caused (she usually sleeps on the patio) but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Am starting to really worry here :hug:

When i worked at an animal shelter, we used to put half a syringe (that is just a large cylinder) around the tail before bandaging. As long as you bandaged properly it worked well for fast healing as it protected the tail, allowed some air flow and no irritation from bandaging. What are you bandaging with at the moment?

I have to add my sympathy here........I am looking after 2 weimaraners here & the tips of their tails keep bleeding from splits in the end. The bitch also had a broken joint at the end.

Those bloody "happy long tailed dogs" :mad

Can look like a crime scene in my laundry sometimes :(

Edited by Poodle Mum

We had 1 grey who after badly damaging her tail tip required 2 inches to be removed & in all honestly she never looked back after that.

The hair roller is the best way to allow air flow.We also dunked the tail tip in Betadene or similiar but as already said make sure its a drying cream.

Our girl was a show girl so we could crate her for healing time .

The sad reality is once severely damaged it does re occur often & in the end that tail tip dies & goes black :(