Advance Dry Food

I feed my Shar Pei Advance Turkey and Rice

When I get a sick or malnourised Shar Pei foster doggy into care I feed them Advance Adult and Energy

I have raised 100 or so puppies on Advance Rehydratable too, found it great for dumped, wormy puppies from the pound

I like it, my dogs like it and they do well on it

I have had them on lots of different dry foods including the most expensive and found it too be brilliant

All of my foster doggies that have now been adopted also eat it and they do well on it too

But you have to find a food that suits your dog, what is good for one dog does not work for another

Ive never seen anyone comment on Advance, I think there's Adult and Energy. Does anyone use/has used it? What did you think?

Over many years I've trialled many brands, usually sticking to each one for at least 6 months or more to really assess results. For my dogs I have found some top, imported expensive brands are simply not worth the money and exactly the same results can be obtained from Australian made products for a fraction of the expense.

The problem with most brands is inconsistency and over time a top performing brand can vary in quality. Results can only be relied upon according to batch as it appears the quality is based upon which ingredients are currently available at the right price. As a buyer I have to accept that all commercial dog biscuits are made to a price, not a recipe. Plus when it comes to different brands you can not always say you get what you pay for. :wink:

We are currently very pleased with the Advance range and use Puppy Rehydratable; (for puppies 5-8 wks) then Puppy Growth (with truly excellent results currently- nicely bodied puppies growing slow, steadily and healthily); and for the adults, Advance Adult Chicken or Turkey and Rice. The dogs LOVE it, they are happy and looking great. At the moment I would say "value for money".

AQIS dog quarantine station in Byford WA also exclusively feed Advance. (As I found out when importing a dog.)

The only known problem with this brand was with several batches of Puppy Rehydratable well over a year ago. I and several other breeders known to me had problems with consistently pooey puppies and the only thing we found in common was the feed. When taken off the biscuit the scours vanished. Put back on, the same problem. Whatever the problem was, it has been fixed as the most recent litters were absolutely fine.

Let's hope Advance can keep sourcing decent ingredients and maintain a quality product, otherwise off we go again to find another brand. :)

i feed mine advance puppy growth large breed for brekkie (they get bones/veggies for dinner)

they have never had any problems with it and it suits me - doesnt make them stink or poo loads either.

its more of a filler in my house than a staple

Thanks guys, I've been feeding Advance and quite like it but as its never mentioned here I thought maybe I was doing the wrong thing.

Paganman, just be aware that some posters on here have a vested interest in what they recommend & what brands they run down, despite what other people say if your dogs do well on it it's never the wrong thing :) .

I fed Jonty on it for a while as a puppy & had no problems with it, I just wanted to get him eating a bit more as he was fussy at the time, so changed to something he seemed to like better.

My dog loves the advance, but she's a potential fatty so she's 99% raw fed and only gets some as a treat very rarely as its just too high in calories for her.

Not sure how she'd go on it long term, other than the fact I know she'd get fat!!

I only have it because Darcy won it! :)

I feed Advance puppy growth and have done since I got my pup...

I was a bit of a sucker, went into the pet supply store and asked what they recommend.. :)

I can't remember EXACTLY what the guy told me, but he spoke to me for a good 5 minutes and convinced me it was the best for my pup. Haven't had any probs so far and he seems to like it. But after reading up on different dry food I woudn't mind switching him to something else soon...

Personally (for my own babies), I love Advance Rehydratable, and have no problems in recommeding it. One of our staff (also one of my dearest friends who breeds GSDs) raised a litter on it, then on to Growth and has had awesome results.

It is a case of what suits you and your dog.

Yes, we sell petfood amongst our many other things. First and foremost though, we are still dog owners who want the best for our own dogs, and those who we have any influence with.

Sometimes that means BARF, or a homemade version. For others it means a top end Premium food. And for others, sometimes a less-than-popular choice that makes it possible for the owner to provide reasonable nutrition.

Life is about choices. Sometimes it takes a while to find what is "best" for you and your loved pet. Never though, is someone else's internet opinion more important than your own experience.

Just my ever humble (or not so LOL) opinion. :)

Our breeder was feeding Eukanuba? but when we brought the bitch home I could not find it for sale in our area so I switched to Advance.

She loves it and I am happy for her. We feed her that once or twice a day and alternate with chicken necks/carcassas and other very juicy bits and pieces such as a vegie cooked/raw meat mix. :)

Dogfish

Edited by Dogfish

I feed my two on a mixture of Advance growth large breed and chicken mince mixed together for breakfast and dinner, with a chicken wing as a mid afternoon snack. They also get any veggie prep left overs like broccoli stumps and the tops and tails of carrots every time we have veg for tea. So it is more of a filler for us too.

I like advance and they seem to be doing really well, I just want to get them on to more of a raw diet. Wont give up on the dry totally so that we can fall back on it when we go on holidays. We camp alot and wont always have power sites to keep raw food fresh.

If i was going to change (I think of it occasionally) I would like to try Nutro.

Ive never seen anyone comment on Advance, I think there's Adult and Energy. Does anyone use/has used it? What did you think?

The only known problem with this brand was with several batches of Puppy Rehydratable well over a year ago. I and several other breeders known to me had problems with consistently pooey puppies and the only thing we found in common was the feed. When taken off the biscuit the scours vanished. Put back on, the same problem. Whatever the problem was, it has been fixed as the most recent litters were absolutely fine.

Must agree with you on this. Never had the problem before this batch or after.

Other than that, an all round excellent product.

Personally i believe there are better products out there for the price. There are definitely other brands that do not contain by-products or as many fillers around the same price range.

Each to their own though, and if your dog does well on it, that's all that matters!

I searched high and low for a suitable low-fat food my labrador who had to lose a few kgs. After doing a qualitative analysis on various brands I chose Advance because it ticked all the boxes FOR ME, namely value for money, no artificial preservatives, low (but not too low) fat content, "just right" fibre content and protein was at a healthy level. I had to hand feed her other brands for her to eat them but with Advance I just put it into her bowl and she loves it! Her stools are regular and firm and she has lost weight. :rolleyes:

I have fed my dogs advance and they thrive on it, it is a great food. They used to sponsor a few agility trials in Victoria so it was fantastic but not so much now.

I also raised pups on the puppy rehydratable and it is great.