Ticks

I just pulled a tick off my mini poodle :rolleyes: .

I thought they were much more common in warmer months. (ETA: It been about 16 degrees in the daytime lately here).

Guess I'll be putting on the Advantix, now....

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Yep I found one on Jonty a couple of weeks ago, it's the first one I've seen since we moved in here 2.5 years ago & Im not sure if it was a paralysis tick or not but mine have all got Advantix or tick collars on again now :rolleyes: .

Mine was brown so I think it may have been a bush tick but only very small so wasn't engorged yet, I can tell what a paralysis tick looks like when its bigger, but how do you know the difference between them when they are small? Are they a different colour like they are when they are older?

Yep we have found 2 paralysis ticks in June this year on our puppy (we are in Logan, QLD). Called up the vet and they said they had removed 7 ticks from clients pets just in that week (not usually that high at this time of the year).

We now have tick collars and use Frontline Plus every two weeks. It is pricey but we are not taking any chances as two of our neighbours have had a dog die in the last year from paralysis tick.