Desexing Methods

Ausmoz

Yesterday at the Animal Welfare League we met an Amstaff X who had just been desexed. There were stitches inbetween his penis and testicles - which were still there (that or they'd inserted "fake" testicles).

I'd never seen a dog desexed that way before.

It made me wonder how common it is to perform a vasectomy in a male dog, or even a tubal ligation in a female dog (or maybe to remove the uterus without removing the ovaries)

It seems like a great idea, as it would allow the dogs to still have their natural hormones. It might also be a down-side in the case of some dogs with aggression, but it would be great for their coats etc in other dogs.

It may have been swelling and not his actual testes. Each dog that I have had desexed looks like they still have the testes until the swelling subsides and the empty sacks shrink after some weeks/months.

Edited by Puggles

Vasectomies are done, but uncommon to see. I would second (third? fourth?) what other people have said and say that the swelling you noticed is probably the left over tissue and some swelling. I've been asked more than once if i really did take the testicles out ;)

Shmoo...are you talking about the lumps that rise a third of the way down the shaft when the dog has a happy? or the actual testicles?

And i fifth or sixed the suggestion of it just being the swelling after the desexing op ;)

I just had my boy desexed and the casing is still there and stitches still in, then this morning I went to rub some cream in and nearly fainted when I saw these two large hard lumps and just for a second thought his balls had regrown in the wrong spot :party::party: You can tell I mostly owned female dogs ;)

Shmoo...are you talking about the lumps that rise a third of the way down the shaft when the dog has a happy? or the actual testicles?

the lump when they have a happy :laugh:

Edited by shmoo

My father was a medical doctor and liked dogs to have sex. He wasn't bothered by girls coming on heat, boys fighting, and all that stuff. He insisted on tubal ligations. I would have one done if I had a girl who needed a Ceasar and was tp be retired from breeding. It's a two minute job once they're open for a Ceasar.

I agree with others, though, it's probably swelling you're looking at. I remember a certain dog who got the nickname of "tennis" after being doctored. That for 'serve me up another pair of balls'. He had massive swelling and really looked like he hadn't been done.

My vet flatly refuses to do a spay during a caesar - he says that to combine feeding puppies, major surgery and stopping hormone production all on the one day is just cruel - also the blood vessels to the uterus are much larger during pregnancy and it is better not to interfere with them at this time unless it is an emergency (major uterine rupture or torsion)

"tennis" - snort :laugh:

My vet flatly refuses to do a spay during a caesar - he says that to combine feeding puppies, major surgery and stopping hormone production all on the one day is just cruel -

A tubal ligation is not a spay. It's simply a thread tied around each of the phallopean (sp?) tubes, which stops eggs getting to the uterus. It does not affect hormone balance. That's actually the downside. It does not eliminate the chance of pyometra and it does not stop the bitch coming into season. My repro vet won't do a spay/Ceasar, but has no problem with a TL/Ceasar.

Off topic

But SG, your Dad likes dogs to have sex? WTF

A tubal ligation still leaves a bitch with a chance of pyrometria and a dog with testes cancer

Desexing is still the right way for me

My vet flatly refuses to do a spay during a caesar - he says that to combine feeding puppies, major surgery and stopping hormone production all on the one day is just cruel - also the blood vessels to the uterus are much larger during pregnancy and it is better not to interfere with them at this time unless it is an emergency (major uterine rupture or torsion)

"tennis" - snort :confused:

But then you are risking a dog under aneasthetic twice.... and you pay for two operations..... I think I'd rather spey immediately after the caesar.

My dog was neutered just a week and a half ago and the scrotum now looks flat and empty. He had internal sutures between the shaft and scrotum that didn't need to be removed.

I would be worried that a tubal ligation or a vasectomey would fail, as happens with humans. (I have a 3yo to prove the latter)

Has anyone heard of the injection for male dogs that stops production of sperm and testosterone, but is totally reversible. Great for aggressive males to settle them while being shown, but can still breed when retired.

If you're referring to the Suprelorin implant for temporary neutering of males, you shouldn't show a male with one of these. It shrinks the testicles to about one third of normal size, which is not within any breed standard ("apparently normal" testicles are required) and as it alters temperament is simply unethical in the show ring.

If a male is too aggressive to be shown, it shouldn't be shown or bred from IMO - just desexed or kept on the implant for life (apparently the implant can make a dog quieter than ordinary desexing, which might not calm down a nasty dog)

As for breeding afterwards, I would not like to do so in case there was any damage done to the testicles which could affect the quality of the sperm. I remain to be convinced that chemicals can shrink testes by two thirds yet don't cause any permanent damage whatsoever. I would be interested to see the clinical studies that show that there is absolutely no damage to future breeding capacity, and I'm not talking simple fertility here.

Also don't like the idea of a tubal ligation - an intact uterus means normal seasons with all the smell and discharge to attract males and the risk of pyometra. Some vets are now starting to do a hysterectomy and removal of one ovary as an alternative - enough hormones to keep a bitch healthy without producing problem season type behaviour. No chance whatsoever of accidental babies this way! :thumbsup:

I would like to add morgan, when I had my bitch speyed they left an ovary by accident

She had all the coming into season problems that where intermittant and she was horrid

After a disagreement with the vet they agreed to open her up and look around, they did find the ovary

I know it did not work for her at all, so would not recommend it to another

I also agree with what you have said about desexing a bitch during a caesar, it makes perfect sense

That must be why they are currently perfecting the desexing op that splices some ovarian tissue (not a whole ovary) under the skin to still make some hormones, just at a much lower level.

My bitches sometimes get a bit narky with each other if they are coming into season, but it doesn't worry me - I simply manage them so that they can't cause problems. Obviously this could be difficult in a normal backyard situation without a kennel for separation, although crating works fine.

IMO a few weeks of monitoring a year is preferable to the chronic, lifetime health problems that can occur. If I ever started having a problem with pyo, leaving ovaries wouldn't bother me in the slightest, as I'm used to entire bitches behaviour - would have the added bonus of no mess!

But I would think that there could be some big differences between breeds when it comes to hormonal behaviour. I have only owned entire girls in 8 different breeds (with no problems) so there are an awful lot of breeds that I have no experience with whatsoever :thumbsup:

A hormonal Shar Pei bitch is not a nice thing LOL

Especially a partitially hormonal bitch

One second she flagged, the next she growled, then she sooked, then she hid, then she ate, then she would eat nothing

It was like living with my hormonal 13 year old daughter LOL

But a backyard with kennels used for rescue dogs is not a place for a hormonal bitch