Favourite Flea/tick/heartworm Prevention Combos?

Atm, I use:

Interceptor Spectrum: Heartworm and most intestinal worms

Advantix: Fleas (monthly), ticks (fortnightly) & mozzies.

pricelesspets.com.au the cheapest I've found.

What do other people use?

I was thinking about switching to Frontline Plus as they do one for very large dogs, so I could split between both dogs (when the 25kg is 30-35kg).

Do you divide between 2 dogs? Mine are 8kg and 25kg (& growing).

Atm, I use:

Interceptor Spectrum: Heartworm and most intestinal worms

Advantix: Fleas (monthly), ticks (fortnightly) & mozzies.

pricelesspets.com.au the cheapest I've found.

What do other people use?

I was thinking about switching to Frontline Plus as they do one for very large dogs, so I could split between both dogs (when the 25kg is 30-35kg).

Do you divide between 2 dogs? Mine are 8kg and 25kg (& growing).

Sentinel Spectrum and Advantix.

I would like to use a collar for ticks but from my limited experience the smell was still quite intense after more than a week of usage. Anyone had similar problems with the tick collars?

I buy everything from pricelesspets as well :banghead:

I would like to use a collar for ticks but from my limited experience the smell was still quite intense after more than a week of usage. Anyone had similar problems with the tick collars?

The smell put me off, too, together with the fact that family members would also come into contact with the collar when patting dogs etc. Dogs also spend a fair bit of time indoors here. Much cheaper alternative, but maybe better for "outside" &/or working dogs?

Yep - I now use Sentinel Spectrum monthly for h/w and intestinal worms and fleas - and Advantix fornightly for tick protection when I go to the mainland (and the cats stay home). The Spectrum also does hydatid t/w, so the dogs comly with quarantine reuirements coming back into Tasmania. And yes, I get mine from priceless pets.

I did get tick collars last year, but didn't end up using them - same deal about the smell - and they do play bitey-face with each other.

I used Frontline every two weeks and drontal all wormer tablets every 3 mths, and Heartgard tablets for heartworm every month.

I also use Preventic tick collars. I find the smell strong for the first week but after that it doesn't bother me.

Edited by wagsalot

My favourite is Revolution. It prevents ear mite, flea and heartworm, not that good on ticks but in my area, that's not much of a problem.

I have tried Frontline Plus + Heardgard but both of my dogs picked up ear mites (yup, I let them play with strange dogs in the park.)

All my clients who use Frontline always have fleas. I changed from Frontline years ago for that very reason. When it became Frontline PLUS, it was no longer adequate against fleas. It was great for the fact that extra large dog I could do 6 dogs from one dose, now I use Advantix I can only get 4 dogs from the large dog one so it isnt as economical.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Proban tablets for ticks (we live in a village within in a national park on a coastal fringe) as paralysis ticks are a huge problem here. We had previously used Frontline but our last dog almost died from a tick during that time so we changed. We've also been told that ticks here are becoming immune to Advantix. Proban seems to be very effective and from what I understand it is what vets administer when dogs present with tick paralysis to kill any remaining ticks.

We use Inteceptor Spectrum for heartworm and intestinal worms.

I'd love not to use Proban but I'm so paranoid about ticks now and I'd never forgive myself if I stopped and they got tick paralysis.

I guess it depends on where you live and how big the tick infestation is.

Edited by benny123

Guest Robatife BCs

I also use Interceptor Spectrum and found this works best for me. I have previously used Sentinal Spectrum, Revolution, blah blah. Interceptor is well priced and is simple. I dont use flea treatments as I am very sceptical about them and their dangers. I have used Frontline and Advantage previously and found them to be S.H.I.T. I just flea rinse my dogs every now and then.

Definitely Avocate! It's the most pricy and surprisingly the best.. LOL.

at www.aussiepet.com.au their price is cheap except they charge a minimum shipping cost of $5

http://www.petproductsontheweb.com.au/ what u see is what u pay, no postage cost. i found this to be the cheapest so far. they also accept paypal, which is safe, right? hope it helps.

Edited by bbkf101

Definitely Avocate! It's the most pricy and surprisingly the best.. LOL.

at www.aussiepet.com.au their price is cheap except they charge a minimum shipping cost of $5

http://www.petproductsontheweb.com.au/ what u see is what u pay, no postage cost. i found this to be the cheapest so far. they also accept paypal, which is safe, right? hope it helps.

but aussiepet's advocate is $6 cheaper (6 packs) then petproductsontheweb?

and they charge nil if you purchase over $200...