Mindless Brag Page....

Not suprised at that for one moment Vickie and guilty as charged when we had an open distance challenge of 6.5 m out to the far bar on a pinwheel from basically a dead stop. A tunnel leading over a bar but the tunnel was horizontal to the far pin wheel bar.

One we had which Ness actually managed to pass did require a shouted out as she took the bar leading out to the distance challenge but decided to spin around and look for me and then wasn't convinced since there was a tree out there as well ROFL.

Never mind thanks to a couple of nice courses we have completed our JDO title and thats enough for me. I know she can't do distance pinwheels as the two she has buggered up have both required distance pinwheels. She is fine when it flows into the distance challenge but if you have to do it from no run up thats when we muck up.

Will go on the list of things to work on over summer since you only need a couple of jumps (I have 4 :D ).

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done on what sounds like a great couple of runs t(AD)pole!!! :D

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think in Vic its ok if the dog runs out, providing you (the handler) don't leave the ring with the dog off-lead?

We have a routine where I place a toy just outside the ring and Darcy normally beats me well out of the ring and brings it straight back into the ring to play tug. I always have her leash on before I leave the ring though and I've not been pinged for it even with a judge who has mentioned DQ'ing people for leaving the ring sans lead.

Some judges will mention it at every course briefing and some won't - found its just best to play it safe as every judge is different.

Well done TADPOLE! Abbie did a BEAUT run - you should be proud - esp with those dratted discrimination between the tunnels (were my soddy dog went wrong :D :rofl: :D ). Feralpup - you are correct :rofl:. Unfortunately you just had the wrong judge for it to happen under. I've had someone tell me off because I accidentally dropped the lead outside the ring while dog was attached (HARD) to the tug.... so some are more lenient than others!

Well done with Open as well :rofl:.

I don't have any brags this weekend. Leo in his usual style did ONE thing wrong each run (one knocked bar, one missed obstacle due to me being adventurous!)... We would have got 2 clears in Excellent Jumping, except the first one I did a 3 bar lead out, dog wasn't set up *quite* straight enough (he wasn't looking through the tyre...) and missed the obstacle... the rest of the run was beaut. The 2nd run he ran clear, but I join Rom in those stakes as I missed the course and ran the wrong way :rolleyes:.....

I was still super proud of him though as the main aim for today was to get speed.... and I got it :rofl::love: :p

Kinta had a show and no luck there - we are determined on being the bridesmaid!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think in Vic its ok if the dog runs out, providing you (the handler) don't leave the ring with the dog off-lead?

We have a routine where I place a toy just outside the ring and Darcy normally beats me well out of the ring and brings it straight back into the ring to play tug. I always have her leash on before I leave the ring though and I've not been pinged for it even with a judge who has mentioned DQ'ing people for leaving the ring sans lead.

Uh no,

It's actually up to the judge's discretion re: dogs leaving ring in Vic.

Dog needs to be considered 'under control' by judge - eg: dog leaves ring and returns when handler calls would be under control. Dog leaves ring and runs around, picks up toy outside ring, then comes back may not. Have seen a DQ for this.

I would be very careful about the routine you describe, especially about the dog bringing the toy back into the ring, that could be considered a 'training aid' (no food or toys in the ring) as could the dog leaving the ring to deliberately target the toy. I have seen people DQ'd for less.

The scorer came up to me after and said that it would have been fine so long as her lead was on before we left the ring- so I guess it depends on the judge?

Mmmm guess we'll be changing that routine then!! :eek: Must be a rarely enforced rule, I've seen a lot of people leave toys/food just outside the ring.

Does depend a lot on the judge and their interpretation t(AD)pole. Unfortunately its not up to the scorer to call it - if your judge decides you're DQ'd then thats it.

As a newbie I'm finding the lack of consistancy really quite frustrating! :(

It's not the leaving of toys or food outside the ring that would get you DQ'd - providing you were responsible about the position you left it in, which I'm sure you are.

You mentioned your dog actually leaving the ring and then bringing the toy back into the ring to you - this would be more likely to get you DQ'd - no food or toys in ring whether before, during or after your run. You can't reward your dog in the ring with any physical objects (only yourself, I guess)

Also placing the food/toy at exit and encouraging dog to 'target' it at end of run by deliberately continuing out of ring could also be interpreted as a training aid. I could name at least 3 judges who would DQ you for it if they noticed, for sure, especially at higher levels than novice.

I like to put my food and toys a fair way back from the ring exit, but close enough to run to it - used to leave it closer but one day in the middle of a run he left the ring to 'tell off' a dog who happened to walk too close to it - then came back and continued on clear ! (and of course I did get DQ'd)

Do agree tho' on the lack of consistency in judging - especially in the interpretation of the rules.

You've really got me thinking now - would you mind if I forwarded this scenario on to a couple of judges to get their take on it ? And loads of apologies for hijacking the 'brags' thread.

Edited by kelpiechick

may I join??

Lana had a great w/e at the Mount Gambier trial - it was our first ever agility/jumping passes and she got three out of four runs (2 ag, 1 j)!!! Three first placings!!! AND equal most successful agility dog for the w/e! Also our second pass in CCD :o

Bridget :thumbsup:

may I join??

Lana had a great w/e at the Mount Gambier trial - it was our first ever agility/jumping passes and she got three out of four runs (2 ag, 1 j)!!! Three first placings!!! AND equal most successful agility dog for the w/e! Also our second pass in CCD :)

Bridget :o

:thumbsup: WOW - CONGRATULATIONS - what an amazing weekend you had!!!

You've really got me thinking now - would you mind if I forwarded this scenario on to a couple of judges to get their take on it ? And loads of apologies for hijacking the 'brags' thread.

You are welcome to forward it KC, I should clarify first though. She grabs the toy and I pretty much meet her at the edge of the ring.

I'll also ask the question at training tomorrow night and we can compare notes! :)

Good point also about the "telling off" bit - Darcy can be pretty protective especially of her high value toys and I wouldn't put it past her. I did see one trialler standing right near my bumbag one day and allowing her dog to play with it while I was in the ring - thank god Darcy didn't see! ;)

Well done BC!!!! Congratulations! :thumbsup:

I love the Mt Gambier trial, was so disappointed it clashed with Ballarat this year! Will have to wait to Easter :o

Bit of a late brag, but Nova at the recent Frankston flyball comp at the expo managed a personal best time of 5.3, his previous PB was 5.6!

He averaged out around 5.5 for the entire day so he was flying!!

I am very pleased, i seriously didnt think he could go any faster, because of his build and style of running but he proved me wrong :thumbsup:

may I join??

Lana had a great w/e at the Mount Gambier trial - it was our first ever agility/jumping passes and she got three out of four runs (2 ag, 1 j)!!! Three first placings!!! AND equal most successful agility dog for the w/e! Also our second pass in CCD :(

Bridget :rofl:

:rofl: May you join!!!! I think that warrants a thread of it's own!!! What an achievement!!! WTG BC!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rofl:

TO - great result with Nova :eek::cry:

Wow it sounds like alot of people have been having great times with their puppies!!

I have been training Jock since the day I got him but in the last few months I have been training him to lie down from a distance <I have seen a few people do it with their dogs in agility and figured it would be some use to me> and whenever I go outside to the dogs before there are any cuddles I make Jock sit and I walk away and ask him lie down! AND HE DID IT!!!!! so I put him to the test and the other day I was walking round the yard doing my own thing and got jock to sit at a distance and said lie down and he hit the deck like there was a bullet heading for him!!! SO proud of my little monster!!

Mishka knows to sit when i tell him! He doesn't come and sit on my feet anymore, he sits where he is!! He does get a bit distracted when the cats are around, but it's all good!

He knows 'up' when he rolls on his back, helps if he's on his back in front of my wheels.

lol small brag.

Buster is about 85% good wiht his leave it command. I got lazy with it for a while to the point that if he was too close to the food before I asked him he'd ignore me, oh.. and dead things. leave it doesn't work with dead things lol.

I just tipped a heap of treat out on the bench, I have to break them into 3rds or they disappear too fast.

I dropped one on the way, turned around to pick it up and he was about 2cm's away from it. I just went "leave it" in a casual tone and he did.

Small brag but its all good right lol

:love: Sorry people - my final interruption but just wanted to confirm re: dogs running out of the ring, you can be DQ'd for them running out even if they return and you put them on lead. They are not to leave the ring without you as they must be deemed "under control". This is for Victoria btw.

:laugh: Sorry people - my final interruption but just wanted to confirm re: dogs running out of the ring, you can be DQ'd for them running out even if they return and you put them on lead. They are not to leave the ring without you as they must be deemed "under control". This is for Victoria btw.

Yeah just try and figure out the judges who will DQ you for it :love:

In the few trials i have been in, half of them said your dog has to be under control before leaving the ring, so dog wasnt allowed to run out and some did and got DQ but the other half said nothing and no one got DQ.

Its interesting to say the least as a newbie!

:love: Sorry people - my final interruption but just wanted to confirm re: dogs running out of the ring, you can be DQ'd for them running out even if they return and you put them on lead. They are not to leave the ring without you as they must be deemed "under control". This is for Victoria btw.

This I think really depends on the judge. Always make it a point to ask in the briefing. Almost every judge i've been under has stated they don't mind if the dog runs out of the ring, so long as we get them back immediately and don't leave the ring with the dog off lead etc.

The way I get around it (Leo tends to spot people and want to rush up to them!) is simply to call out a massive HERE after the last obstacle and then he can give me 'hugs' (his reward) before we exit the ring.... seems to work.....

just discovered this thread again, some dogs have been storming along.

A big of an achiement for Tilly. We stopped obedience classes a few years ago because she was simply too scared/shy and wan't happy unless our 2 GSD friends were there and we were in between them. She would never do a group stay even though she could stay and she would follow me if I moved away simply due to fear

Anyway she is much more confident these days so I decided to take her back for another go to improve our teamwork and she was great, did a perfect stay even though the lady next to us had to go back to her dog plenty of times and was growling etc. It would have sent her scurrying back to me in the past but now she her confidence has grown she just stayed perfectly. Not a great achievement for most dogs but huge for her

Anyway she is much more confident these days so I decided to take her back for another go to improve our teamwork and she was great, did a perfect stay even though the lady next to us had to go back to her dog plenty of times and was growling etc. It would have sent her scurrying back to me in the past but now she her confidence has grown she just stayed perfectly. Not a great achievement for most dogs but huge for her

That is excellent news Helen! You must have put in SO much work to get her to that level!!!! Congratulations to you and Tilly :laugh: