Has Anyone Had To Amputate A Dogs Leg?

Mushaka

Has anyone here faced this?

Im wondering,if so,what were the deciding factors?

I ask this as Lewis before we rescued him,had been hit by a car. He has mulitple fractures in his pelvis,giving him an unusal gait.

With this funny walking style,he is wearing down his nails to the pad on his hind left leg. Its causing him such discomfort,that he rarely uses this leg at all. It hngs limply under his belly.

I have had him at two vets,the one at the rescue shelter,and my private vet.

they both have said theres not much i can do,and they dont know what to do with him,other than leave it be for a time,and see if the pads harden with callous over time.We have had lewis for approx 4mths now.Would that be enough time?

We are thinking of either of two options,having the claws removed,or amputation of the leg.

Surley for him to be forever lifting and not using the foot,he must be in a fair bit of pain.

What would others suggest I do? Does anyone kow the cost of surgery for either of these procedures?

I'd be trying everything possible before amputation. Look at all the human amputees that sometimes have pain in their "phantom" limbs. Just because the limb is removed doesn't stop the nerves sending messages to the brain that the missing limb hurts.

There are many doggy shoes on the market.

So saying, I am currently looking after a dog who had a hind leg removed several weeks ago - he was a houdini border collie who was found hanging from his fence by his back leg. It's circulation had been cut off so it had to be removed. He is doing great - running around like mad, just has to learn how to do sudden turns without falling over! :)

Try the boot? :wave:

Is this the kind of thing they use water therapy for? Swimming, as physiotherapy --hydrotherapy. Given the original problem is with his shattered pelvis not his leg, maybe it would help. He probably lost some muscle strength and suffered nerve damage in the accident. :eek: Poor Lewis. (I think alanglen in the rescue section knows about this therapy)

I'm not sure that wearing the nails down will hurt him as it's gradual and the "quick" will recede.

Having seen our dog limping (kneecap dislocated), I can understand you feel distressed thinking he's in pain.

This is one for an experienced vet to decide, though. Does the vet think he's in pain?

The "shoe" sounds like a great idea.

I would try pain relief medication, prescribed by the vet (if they thought it necessary), fro several weeks before considering amputation.

My cousin has a paraplegic cat (car accident) that drags it's back legs about with no problems- doesn't seem to be in pain and seems 100% happy.

Owner was thinking she'd have to PTS but why would you when cat is coping well and seems happy? Vet agrees cat is in good health.

Other people's reactions are interesting- some think she's "cruel". I think the disability offends them. Have to be careful not to put our own human ideas onto animals.

One of Rubeedoo's dogs was let out of her yard by someone and was hit by a car. Ruby had one of her front legs amputated. She is now a happy 3-legged dog. Her only problem is that she had to learn how to take corners! But she quickly mastered that, and does not seem to miss the leg. Man, she's a great dog! :eek:

ETA: They tried corrective surgery on Ruby's leg, but when they started the op they found that the bone was basically pulverised - there was no other option for Ruby.

Edited by jbbb

I have thought about the shoes lol..But thought I'd look a goose...I will give them a go though!

His nail wears so far down that it is contantly bleeding and the area around the nail is "open" in a sense.

Lewis walks on three legs as it,so he wouldnt have to adjust to much,other than not having to hold the leg up constantly.

His gait is causing the problem,so i doubt he would have pain once the leg was removed..I know its drastic and of course we would exhaust all other avenues before heading down either of the paths i mentioned.

Indie is at the vets now being desexed so I might have a quick chat to the vet again about Lewis.

I have had him on cortesone(spelling) and other things,but nothing is helping him. Hes Pelvis is too far out of whack,and its not the pelvis causing the pain,rather the affect it having on his walk,causing other issues.

Showdog,..the vet is suprised the dog can even walk. He has multiple fractures in his pelvis. No amount of therapy is going to reallign it.

If no vet has a suggestion as to what i can do,it just might be better to him to remove the source of the pain.

Again,this would be a LAST resort. I mean seriously,as if i would chop off a leg willy nilly,..not to mention the cost involved.

I know of a Springer Spaniel on another forum that was hit by a car and the owner did everything possible to save the front leg - operations, natural therapy, essences - everything we could suggest she tried. Eventually the decision was made to take the leg off at the shoulder - it was a really tough time (for both owner and dog) and the dog was quite lethargic at first, but has slowly perked up, the muscles are developing nicely and the dog now appears so much happier than before the op. She races around on her 3 legs and has no trouble keeping up with other dogs. For the owner in question amputating was certainly a last resort and she has had a really good outcome. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I know of a Springer Spaniel on another forum that was hit by a car and the owner did everything possible to save the front leg - operations, natural therapy, essences - everything we could suggest she tried. Eventually the decision was made to take the leg off at the shoulder - it was a really tough time (for both owner and dog) and the dog was quite lethargic at first, but has slowly perked up, the muscles are developing nicely and the dog now appears so much happier than before the op. She races around on her 3 legs and has no trouble keeping up with other dogs. For the owner in question amputating was certainly a last resort and she has had a really good outcome. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanx SpottedDevil.. I would only ever amputate if i had taken every other path,but i also dont want to prolong the pain,if vets see no other option in the horizon other than waiting it out..

Does anyone know the ball park figure for this kind of suregery?????

I suspect that amputation for dogs is a massive relief from pain. They are such stoic creatures and certaily wonderful examples to all of us... lessons in how to get on with life.

years agao i watched with fascination as a 3 legged dog collected hos doggy mail from the neighbourhood and left his own LOL. he was missing a back leg. He sniffed here and there on the side of the building looking foir just that right spot.. turned around a lifted his remaining back leg... peed and wandered off. I guess no one has told him he could not do that anymore.

I have acquaintances whose dogs have had amputations due to cancer or breaks and they have all bounced back .

Good luck

I've been told $400 for Mishka's op. It's no fun watching him roll because he can't control it's movement. The vet agreed to wait a month, to see if he gets any use in it, but that is VERY unlikely.

I'm worried about how he'll handle it, I mean, I'm permanently in a wheelchair and have been for 15 years, and I'm still not 100% adjusted to it. I don't want him to blame me forever.

Hi L&L

My first thought was also a shoe or wrapping the foot to protect it and encourage usage - however IMO this will only work BEFORE he is fully into the habit of lifting his foot/leg. Otherwise it will take longer for him to realise its not as painful to walk on his leg.

Other than that - if you know how much the amputation will be, could you compare it to re constructive surgery?

My sister's dog got out of her yard and hit by a car. Everyone thought she'd have to have her back leg removed - however I ended up asking if it was possible to try reconstructing her hip and leg first. The dog ended up coming from Bundaberg down here to Brisbane and she had her surgery here with my vet.

It was a success (lots of glue/staples/pins and permanent metal brackets drilled into her bones) as well as 6 months with a metal brace and pins on the outside of her leg...

The hard part was keeping her activity down while she was in her pins & bracket... whenever she would run she'd kick the back leg out to the side and hobble along on 3 legs.

She has fully recovered, outside uglies were removed and to look at her now you wouldn't know she has pins/braces on the inside. It was a success and only and extra $150 more than the amputation.

Its a thought you could consider and discuss with your vet.

Good luck with whatever you end up deciding :thumbsup:

I've been told $400 for Mishka's op. It's no fun watching him roll because he can't control it's movement. The vet agreed to wait a month, to see if he gets any use in it, but that is VERY unlikely.

I'm worried about how he'll handle it, I mean, I'm permanently in a wheelchair and have been for 15 years, and I'm still not 100% adjusted to it. I don't want him to blame me forever.

Cazz you need to remember that dogs don't have the same sense of 'self' that we humans do - so a dog won't compare having 4 legs vs 3 legs. Rather, the focus is on feeling pain or muscular weakness etc. Does that make sense? A lot of older dogs and cats go blind/deaf and have little trouble adjusting....because they don't have an awareness that they are losing something....they simply adjust and cope. Neither me nor the vet realised that my old cat was completely blind until she had to stay at the clinic over night in an unfamiliar cage. She had just got used to finding her way around our house....even the stuff that OH left on the floor wasn't a problem for her!

You will know what is the best thing to do when the time comes.

Showdog,..the vet is suprised the dog can even walk. He has multiple fractures in his pelvis. No amount of therapy is going to reallign it.

Ofcourse it isnt but people forget when the dog compensates to other muscles/legs they pay the heavy toll & thats where bowen comes in to help maintain what working that the dog requires even if amputated.

When the dog gets up it most likely does on the same side & really hauls its body up compared to having 4 legs working.Muscle tone builds up differently .

I had a dog who was partially paraylized ,we did all sorts of bowen etc to ensure what worked stayed in top shape especailly before they get older because once arthritis & the such set in dogs with 3 legs do suffer greatly then as did my boy who still had 4 legs & in the end thats why we had to PTS because his body could no longer cope in getting him around

• 2 months later...

THIS POST BY ANE IS A LIE!

I am "Ane"s sister. I am her only sister. She seems to be referring to my dog JELLYBEAN who is now MISSING or STOLEN (see other posts).

Jellybean did suffer a leg injury. She was never at risk of amputation and she NEVER went to Brisbane for surgery.

JELLYBEAN and SABBY are now MISSING. Cavaliers. My sister seems to have rehomed them while I was working away. Please see other recent threads about this and PLEASE CONTACT ME if you have any idea of where my dogs are.

Hi L&L

My first thought was also a shoe or wrapping the foot to protect it and encourage usage - however IMO this will only work BEFORE he is fully into the habit of lifting his foot/leg. Otherwise it will take longer for him to realise its not as painful to walk on his leg.

Other than that - if you know how much the amputation will be, could you compare it to re constructive surgery?

My sister's dog got out of her yard and hit by a car. Everyone thought she'd have to have her back leg removed - however I ended up asking if it was possible to try reconstructing her hip and leg first. The dog ended up coming from Bundaberg down here to Brisbane and she had her surgery here with my vet.

It was a success (lots of glue/staples/pins and permanent metal brackets drilled into her bones) as well as 6 months with a metal brace and pins on the outside of her leg...

The hard part was keeping her activity down while she was in her pins & bracket... whenever she would run she'd kick the back leg out to the side and hobble along on 3 legs.

She has fully recovered, outside uglies were removed and to look at her now you wouldn't know she has pins/braces on the inside. It was a success and only and extra $150 more than the amputation.

Its a thought you could consider and discuss with your vet.

Good luck with whatever you end up deciding :rolleyes:

I had a 12yo cat that was attacked by a dog in our front yard. Fractured in 7 places and dislocated elbow. I didn't think twice about it. Off came the leg. Patrick was home 2 days later, eating, purring, up to his usual tricks. Only thing he had to learn was how to stand with his front leg in the middle, not at the side. He did one little face plant into the carpet, learnt from it, and never looked back. He was still able to run fast and climb fences. He lived til he was 18. I had no regrets wat-so-ever. His leg was so badly damaged I didn't really have a choice. I've seen many people try and fix legs with similar injuries, it has turned pair shaped and weeks later the leg has to come off anyway. Too much trauma for the animal IMO.