Iko

SpikesPuppy

As some of you already know- we have had some problems with Iko, the Kelpie X Whippet (probably) that my mum found in the middle of the road. Right from the start, she and our old Shih Tzu X, Rascall, did not like eachother. We began crating them in turns (1 hour in, 1 hour out), after a while, we were able to have both dogs together in the house, as long as nothing 'exciting' happened (no food, no rough games, noone coming to the door etc). Basically they ignored eachother. However, apart from a few spats throughout (when any of the above happened), Iko began attacking Rascall at random, we could see no obvious trigger. Her body language gave us no warning either, it was at all different times, all different areas of the house/backyard and she would just fly at him.

She also had a few goes at Spike over the years, but she was excellent with Caber.

We spoke to several experienced dog people, behaviourists, veterinary behaviourists gave us different medications to try, we also spoke to several dog breeders. She was also tested for Thyroid problems as well as ageneral health check up for both her and Spike & Rascall (her main 'targets') We tried absolutely everything in our power but she got worse and worse with her unpredictability towards Rascall especially. She also went for Caber 2 and a half weeks ago.

We looked at rehoming her, but with her other behavioural problems (all of which she had when we brought her home), we did not believe this was ethical to do. Constantly seperating her from the other dogs was also becoming increasingly difficult to do.

So we made the decision to put her to sleep and 2 weeks ago, on September 22nd, she went to sleep for the final time in my mum's arms.

I know some, maybe many, people will not understand our (my mum's really, as Iko was her shadow) decison, but we believe it was in the best interests of the dog. Not that it matters, but we spent a huge amount of money on her, as well as much time and effort. We did NOT take the easy way out- this is something that will haunt us both forever. But I believe that though she was not always quite 'right' and often seemed confused, she had a very happy life with us. I know that she was very much loved and very spoilt and she has left a huge hole in our hearts.

If we had not adopted her from the pound where she spent her 8 days, she most certainly would have been euthanased then and there, but we took her on and gave her a chance. To everyone here who helped with her over the years (in particular Bilby, Ashley & CavNRott), and in more recent times- I thank you as does my mother.

[centre]RIP IKO[/centre]

2003 (approx year of birth)- 22/09/2007

We will miss you every day, but thank you for pawprinting our hearts with your little white feet.

I will post up some photos when I can get photobucket to work.

P.S- The reason I haven't posted this until now is because of the reactions some people have in these situations. I wrote this up on the 23rd, but have been putting off posting it because frankly, I am expecting to be flamed for the decision. If you must flame, go ahead, but know that this was not undertaken lightly.

:o

It certainly sounds like you and your mother did everything within your power to fix the problem, and then were forced to make the toughest decision of all, which I believe takes an incredible amount of strength.

I wish you both continuing strength to cope with your grief.

You and your Mum gave Iko some very happy times, and vice versa. Be proud of that.

It sounds as though you can also be proud of having protected your pack from what was becoming an increasingly unpredictable threat. I hope I'm never in the position to have to make such a decision. Hugs to you and your mum. :(

Certainly no flaming from here but a thank you for doing all that you did for Iko. It sounds like she was very happy but too many demons from her past still haunted the poor little darling.

RIP Iko, run free at the Bridge and hugs to you Spikespuppy and your mum

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I don't believe I have anything to be flamed about but I have beeen here long enough to know how some people react, especially without knowing the full story or the circumstance.

Onslowsmum- I think you hit the nail right on the head with your comment "too many demons from her past still haunted the poor little darling." She was a good dog and I know she tried her best.

Some photos for those who did not have the pleasure of meeting her

With Caber

IkoCaber.jpg

Her most favourite thing in the World (after my mum), Lure Coursing, photos taken by Tess32.

Knucklesmontage.jpg

(Oh, Knuckles is a nickname, she would go into a total body wiggle when ever you said it to her, probably becuase the only way you COULD say it was in a silly, giggly voice!)

Ikoyard.jpg

Ikochair.jpg

For such a little dog, she had a big presence, the house feels so empty without her. Though Rascall hasn't stopped grinning for the past 2 weeks. he can be a bit of a prick that way (said with love). And mum doesn't know what to do with all the extra time in the morning, each day before work she spent at least half an hour with Iko, either playing with, grooming or walking her.

Your family was so right in the decision. One of hardest hopefully you will ever have to make.

Iko was so loved when given her wings and she knew that. Fly free Iko :( I'm sure she will be healed on the other side and will be waiting to great her humans.

If I remember Iko was the one that ended up in melton pound and you went out of your way to ensure she was fine while in the pound doing her time. I remember visiting the pound.

Sorry to hear what you have been through never a easy decision, but done with love and that was more then what she had before she was lucky enough to find you and your mum.

If I remember Iko was the one that ended up in melton pound and you went out of your way to ensure she was fine while in the pound doing her time. I remember visiting the pound.

Sorry to hear what you have been through never a easy decision, but done with love and that was more then what she had before she was lucky enough to find you and your mum.

Yes, Storm I remember you going to the pound to visit Iko. You were very kind and so very helpful.

So sorry to hear about Iko.

I think it is a shame that DOLers have to fear flaming for these sort of decisions. Sometimes the best thing for a dog is to be pts, or to be rehomed and there should be no shame in doing it for the right reasons. It is a selfless decision when done for the right reasons and that is what you and your family were.

Some dogs just carry too much baggage from their previous lives, no matter how much we love them or work hard. Hugs to you and your family for trying so hard when others would have given up and for the courage to make the final decision which is harder on you than Iko.

Guest Clover

I am so sorry SP :), you know in the end you did the right thing for Iko and your other dogs, nothing carm harm her now. You and especially your Mum will be in my thoughts.

Rest easy little one, i will always remeber you hooning around after that lure :o.

Sorry to hear SP

You did your best and she had a wonderful ending too life......remember her for her good traits and the happy times (like at lure coursing)

I really feel for you and your mum, it was a hard decision too make :)

RIP Iko

Thank you everyone :)

Her sheer joy at lure coursing is one of my fondest memories- she was certainly a little black bullet. She loved her walks- being part Whippet, she was pretty much exhausted after a short, brisk walk, and she would barge through the front door and greet with me a big, tired grin as if to say "Man that was FUN. Sorry you missed it".

She also learnt several tricks that mum taught her, including how to walk up a ladder, weave through her legs, shake hands. On the good days, we could not have asked for a better or more devoted little girl.

And one of mum's proudest moments was winning 2nd Best Kept Dog at the Bayside Festival, one year after we had Iko. It was just a little fun competition, but there were over 30 dogs entered!

Storm, thank you so much. I knew there was someone else I was forgetting. If there is anyone else who I have forgotten- it's not because you don't matter, but because I suck with names!

I'm sorry to hear this SP :p :laugh:

I'm sure she is racing around a lure course at the Bridge as we speak, I'm glad you are holding on to all the happy memories you had with her and hugs to you and your mum :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that you and your Mum had to go through this, but you did the right thing for Iko, that is all you have to remember

She had a good time with you while she was there and it eased her passing

RIP Iko you can now run free without your demons