Bacon Fat Is It Bad?

chloebear

I wouldn't feed anything to my dog that I wouldn't eat - like scraps or fat or off food!

Saturated fats are bad for your dog, just as it is for you. Dogs can get cholesterol building up in their arteries too - you wouldn't want to be feeding her EXTRA fat and clogging them up would u?

Must admit, I'm a bacon fat feeder on the rare occasion we have bacon and eggs.

It is occasional though so I dont have a problem. Avoid it on a regular basis though.

Same, they either get just the fat or they get their own meal of bacon and eggs :rolleyes:

With all these things you arent supposed to feed your dogs that i do on occasion feed i am wondering how on earth my dogs have survived for so long :laugh:

With all things, it depends on the dog. Some dogs can tolerate it, some can't. Having had a dog with pancreatitis I think it's risky.

Well said.

There's not a lot of logic to the "I've done it and my dog's survived" idea.

I'm not perfect and have fed fatty offcuts before, too, but didn't realise it could contribute to pancreatitis.

Now I don't. Each to their own.

If you're not eating it because it's fatty, why on earth would you give it to your dog?

Couldnt have said it better. I also know a dog who was pts because his owner gave him pork rind every sunday morning. poor little guy.

Diet is not about one thing or another. It's about proportions and balance.

Many people eat diets that are 30%+ fat [and many get fat doing it]. Dog diets tend to be under 15% fat. Healthy adult dogs have guts that will take care of bacteria that would give most any human serious food poisoning, and can safely be fed "off" meat and dairy products. [Do you know any humans who bury their dinner and then dig it up and eat it a week later?]

As for bacon fat . . . if you feed a generally lean diet, a bit of bacon fat poured over moderate-fat (say 10% or less) biscuits shouldn't do any harm. But if you feed the "working dog" variety of biscuits and give other fatty treats, then I'd say bacon fat is a bad thing. Avoid situations where the fat is a major component of the dog's diet (and remember that fat has more than twice the energy component of carbo, protein, and sugar, kilo per kilo).

My dogs always get the cut off bacon rind. In fact I buy bacon with rind just so the dogs can have a little treat. There is not a lot of rind to go between 3 dogs from 250 grams bacon. They get this, if they are lucky, once a month. And even rarer is to get the bacon and egg frypan leftovers diluted with water tipped over their food or a piece of bread.

reading about bacon being bad triggered some memory of HAM being bad for dogs

i guess its the stuff they treat it with

i wonder if bacon has the same problem...so maybe its not the fat but the smoking or whatever chemical they use to manufacture these pork products

just remember that some dog had trouble after it was fed ham off the bone at Christmas

anyone else heard of this?