Excellence / Nature's Gift

I'm finally giving up and going with the canned and dried food - I will keep up the raw, fresh food though, give a mixture. The dogs love Optimum dry so I am happy there.

However, as I have to give medication and like to put it in food, I like to give wet food as well.

At Pet Expo last weekend, I bought a Nature's Gift Show Bag and the dogs seemed to really like it, so next time at the supermarket, I bought some cans of it. I also saw Excellence and bought a can of that - again the dogs really loved it.

Would be grateful for some opinions.

Mine regularly get some Nature's Gift and seem good on it (littlies). I met the people who make it at the Pet Expo once and they raved on about the factory and the quality etc and then said they would eat the food (yech! smells yucky must be the garlic or something). On that note, at the greyhound picnic the other day, the doggy Xmas gifts had Dine (?) I think, in them. Smelt yummy!!! but I wouldn't feed it regularly because I am not convinced.

I also feed Optimum. Have you done their PHD free food trial? fill out the forms and you get free refunds on up to 3 x 4kg bags...

I would introduce it gradually (although you probably know that) just because it is a change in diet.

The only tinned food I will feed is Nature's Gift. I have been assured that this is the only tinned food that is close to being all natural and it contains a hig proportion of real meat. A fellow Pug lover has actually apparently cisited the factory where it is canned and she vouches for it being real meat too.

I did try the kibble but I prefer to stick with a low fat kibble and Nature's Gift do not have this range.

I went on a tour of the Nature's Gift factory through Uni - the info we were given was pretty impressive - the quality appears excellent. They explained how darn difficult it is to have the stuff stocked by supermarkets at a price that gives them a reasonable return and thus do a lot of exports. I use the mini-treats as training rewards. The adult semi-dry food is a bit too high in protein for my Dally but, if I wanted to feed wet food I wouldn't hesitate in feeding the canned food.

I tried my dogs on an all BARF diet and wasn't happy with the results, we now have them on a mix of optimum dry and natures gift for breakfast and chicken carcasses (big dogs) chicken necks (littlies) for dinner, they all look great and my skinny standard girl has even put on the 3kgs that she needed.

This is all VERY encouraging. Thanks so much.

I figured that the Nature's Gift might be a bit too rich first off, so I boiled up rice in chicken stock (absorbtion method so very nutritious) and mixed it 1/2 and 1/2. They all loved it.

Ginger's mum: I met the people who make it at the Pet Expo once and they raved on about the factory and the quality etc and then said they would eat the food (yech! smells yucky must be the garlic or something).

Ha ha - I'm not about to try it either, although I thought it smelt pretty good.

I must admit I have felt a bit of a failure with not being able to keep the dogs on BARF, but knowing that so many others can't or don't makes me feel a bit better.

natures gift = TOP STUFF smells like spam LOL

All 3 of my guys gulp it up and its got less artificial stuff then most cans (always read the labels)

Poop stays normal, breath stays normal and no farts like on some other brands. Its quite meaty and they have a variety of flavours. Great to mix with fresh meat as well

NG might be a bit more expensive then some brands (not a huge amount) but you can get specials at pet suppliers and supermarkets. Few months back coles were selling the 700g cans for 99cents! So we stocked up a trolley full LOL

I keep some of the little trays of the Nature's Gift in the cupboard as a back up and I agree with all the other posters' good comments. While I don't think I'd choose to eat it myself :thumbsup: it certainly doesn't smell anywhere near as bad as other canned dog foods I've smelt. Haven't noticed any bad reactions from Clarey and she certainly scoffs it up.

Woolies have had it on sale a couple of times and I've stocked up.

I picked up one of their showbags at the Expo as well - thought it was very good value.

mine have it on their breakfast biscuits, no complaints and the left overs don't smell horrible like some tinned food. Stools are firm and all are healthy and happy with shiny coats :-)

I too stock up if it is on special, missed the 99c special though :rofl: but it was $1.39 at Coles the other day so we have lots in our cupboard at the moment :-)

Onslow was brought up on Optimum Puppy, it was the only biscuit he liked. i would still feed Optimum to him now except Tilly is allergic to it :thumbsup:

I always have a couple of tins of Nature Gift in the pantry as an emergency back-up or a treat every now and then - they love it and it's the only tinned food I would ever feed.

Their diet is basically Nutro dry with any of the following: chicken mince, chicken frames, lamb mince, lamb necks, tuna, sardines, eggs, yoghurt, home made chicken stock.... and if I'm out of those, then it's Nutro dry and Natures gift.

Believe Ziwi Peak tinned is also very good but I've not tried it yet as it's hard to come by here.

If I weren't feeding Jyra BARF, I would go with Nature's Gift.

Saying that, I gave her a can of NG once to see if it were suitable for me to feed her when travelling, and her poo was big and all rather liquidy. I think that is probably because her system is used to digesting bones, and if fed on NG regularly she would probably be fine.

Arolf- glad to see a pic of Rover - he DOES look good!

I notice mainly that, when I open a can of Nature's Gift, It is very solid - not jellied like some canned food, and has a small amount of fat on top- generally looks pretty good (for dog food) my puppies loved it

My Afghan Hound gets fed on Eukanuba dry, with a couple of spoonfulls of Nature's Gift too. He loves it and his coat looks great too.

I had a greyhound up until Sept last year :rofl::) who was always very hard to keep weight on due to her nervous nature. When I got her she was a bag of bones at 26kg. She was a very healthy 34kg when she crossed the bridge thanks to Nature's Gift.