Poo Patrol Frequency

Sticks1977

Probably not the most pleasant of subjects - but I figured I may as well ask as I am not sure of the answer or if there is a "dog poo patrol rule" that is already known by most people.

How often should I pick up my dog's droppings? and what is the most appropriate way to dispose of it?

At the moment every second to third day I am out in the backyard scouting the area for any signs of his poo, I place it into a plastic bag with the help of a garden trowel (small shovel) and a barbeque knife - forever for both to be known as 'poo patrol tools' and never to be used in the garden or on the barbeque ever again!

After I have it in the plastic bag, I will dig a hole somewhere in one of the garden beds in the backyard and empty the plastic bag and place the droppings in there and cover it back up again. Then with the plastic bag I will safely look around the backyard (no poo to dodge now) for bones, throw them into the plastic bag, tie it up and then throw it in the bin.

Is there any guide to the frequency that I should be going out into the backyard and picking up his droppings? Is there another method of disposal instead of digging holes in the backyard to bury it? Digging the odd hole every second day in a different spot is starting to bug me - in no way is it frustrating or annoying - it's just one of those things I am not too fond of!

Edited by Sticks1977

I have a worm farm specifically for dog poo - I have two small dogs and live in an apartment, so during the day they have to poo on the balcony. Have had it for over a year, I think it's the Can'o'worms brand with 3 layers - we've only just needed to add the second layer so they (the worms) do a pretty good job. They are quite picky though, so if you want worms for compost you need to have another worm farm.

My dogs are on a BARF diet so faeces are nice & solid. I use heavy duty rubber gloves to pick up faeces & then dispose of them at the tip. I collect every day in a bucket if possible & put in a garbage bag / horse feed bag until I have enough to warrant a trip to the tip :eek:

We have four dogs here ATM and more if we are fostering or as now, have puppies.

I use the Gedye black compost bins and it all goes into that - dog poo, vegie scraps, and so on. Bunnings.

985-180x800-gedyedemo.jpg

I have one of the screw type compost turners. Like these. Also Bunnings.

Compost-Screw-Collage.jpg

I have worms in there too. Two was enough for a time but now we are at three bins (more dogs). I have them placed between fruit trees and the trees love it - and when I need to empty one, the compost which is all broken down by now by composting and by worms goes onto the trees.

We pick up poo with one of the pooper scooper things - with the scoop and scooper, long handles. Like this.

pooperscooper2_sml.jpg

Daily unless something comes up, but the aim is daily.

What about cleaning - are there any cleaning products people use to get rid of that wee/poo smell that is not going to harmful to the dog, especially for grass? We have a noticible increase in flies since Jasmine joined the family...

I generally clean when she poos.

Thanks for all for replies - might look into purchasing a Compost Bin to place food scraps and more importantly his droppings into! I will also have to get out there each day after reading a few replies stating to pick up his droppings on a daily basis.

Every couple of days - depends on whether he has done his business in the yard or while out in the park.

I scrub the pavers with hot water, disinfectant and hard broom once a week and throw hot water and vinegar over the riverstones.

Anything I pick up is picked up like in the park - by hand in the black poo bags and I drop it into the poo bin at the park (right across the road).

I think I must be the luckiest man alive. BOTH my dogs go in the garden so I leave it there to break down and add to the compost! Other than that it gets picked up daily, but now they have the run of the yard and aren't stuck in their runs we are pretty much rid of that!

OH does ours every couple of days. The dogs only poo once a day and it is hard due to their diet.

He picks it up with one of the clamps you pick up tools with so no bending down and getting your body near it. Goes in a bag and in the bin :(

Pick it up as soon as you notice it, breeds maggots otherwise. Look into a pet poo converter, mines a wheelie bin dug into the ground, there are commercial versions around, big $ for a bin though.

Is there any guide to the frequency that I should be going out into the backyard and picking up his droppings? Is there another method of disposal instead of digging holes in the backyard to bury it? Digging the odd hole every second day in a different spot is starting to bug me - in no way is it frustrating or annoying - it's just one of those things I am not too fond of!
Edited by s~M~s

I don't have many left to pick up thanks to my Teddy Bear.....but the ones that for some reasons he doesn't eat I pick up with a grocery bag over my hand and I drop it into another grocery bag and then tie and toss it in the bin.

Edited to add: I do it daily.

Edited by Puggles

I picked up a great idea on here when this topic was discussed a while ago. If you have one of those round caps on the outside pipe that leads from your toilet to the sewer pipe you can undo the cap, drop them in, replace the cap, and next time the toilet is flushed away they go.