Killer Chemical Found In Pet Meat

~Anne~

A report in the paper this morning shows that a dangerous chemical, that can lead to health problems in pets, is commonly found in dog meat.

Article in Daily Telegraph (Sydney)

I always only buy meat from the butchers meant for humans for this very reason. Preservatives in meat can kill.

[edited to add quoted article]

PET owners could be killing their dogs and cats by feeding them "fresh meat" which is laden with preservatives.

Yesterday, the Australian Small Animal Veterinary Association warned families to only buy meat for pets which is fit for humans.

A potentially fatal additive is used in fresh pet meats sold in supermarkets and pet stores, which the vet industry wants to see banned.

Unsuspecting pet owners are buying the meat which contains sulphur dioxide, the same chemical butchers are banned from using to extend the shelf-life of meats.

The preservative keeps meat "fresh" but in high levels can deplete vitamin B1 - causing lethargy, rashes, loss of weight, wobbliness, seizures and even death.

The Chief Industrial Magistrates Court early this year fined Granville's Dan Dan Brothers Butchers $7500 for adding an excessive amount of the chemical into sausages.

The vet industry yesterday renewed its call to have pet food labelling laws reviewed.

ASAVA president Dr Matthew Retchford said the only meat which could be trusted was from the butcher.

"Buy meat you would eat yourself or bring in a sample of the food you are buying and (vets) can test for sulphur dioxide. A lot of pet owners need to be educated. Don't buy fresh meat unless it is part of a well structured diet," Dr Retchford said.

The self-regulating pet food industry is not required to list ingredients and preservatives.

Dr Retchford said the only law for manufacturers was to display a warning it was pet food and not for humans.

"The problem, particularly in dogs, is the signs are very subtle," Dr Retchford said. "It could be anything from lethargy to altered behaviour through to seizures.

"Cats show acute symptoms such as apparent blindness and somersaults or flipping.

"Acute signs of thiamine (B1) deficiency, as observed by the ASAVA, occur when pets are fed a diet of highly sulphited pet meat exclusively."

A Pet Food Industry Association of Australia spokesman said: "Preservatives, when used, are added at very low levels in the product. Preservatives are available in varying forms."

Dog lover and director of pet nanny care Furry Family Anitra Hellum was shocked to discover pet meat could harm her four-year-old maltese terrier, Missy.

"I guess you think because they are always picking things up they have a cast-iron stomach," she said.

Edited by Puggles

There was a celebrity Vet on TV many years ago on one of the morning shows, could be more than 10 years ago, saying this, and how they want it banned & correct labelling etc.........The main product he spoke of then was VIP from supermarkets, but I never saw it leave the shelves, and I know people who fed it all the time, used to make me cringe.

Preservative 220 also is dangerous, found in beef mince (not sure what else??) People have lost their litters by feeding mince to their babies (bought from a pet shop), they suffer neurological damage, due to this preservative "zapping"the ability to absorb Thyamine. In young ones it causes irreversible brain damage & death.

I wonder if 220 is the same thing as sulfur dioxide, perhaps it is the name for it on the label???? Can anyone confirm this???

I'm sure one of the "current affair" shows did a story about this preservative being widely used by butchers on meat for human consumption, too- despite it being illegal. They bought meat at various butchers, then had it tested.

It makes the meat appear more red, therefore fresher-looking.

I thought pet mince wasn't very balanced for dogs as their main food, anyway?

Guess it's hard to tell as you don't know what's in it :crazy:

Im alergic to 220 gives me mega migranes. Cant drink wine with 220 :crazy:

So I know how my dogs would feel after eating large amounts of it....

My dogs must know something is not right about the pet mince as they simply refuse to eat it.

Rex would not eat for 3-4 days if I presented him with the pet mince. He would be starving than and eat it and them throw it up.

I never buy put mince, havent bought any for years. the only pet "meat" I do buy is minced chicken carcesses, and that is from a chicken shop. Its minced and frozen, not spiked with preservatives.

Edited by myszka

Not necessarily so, the onus is on the consumer to test the meat themselves, it is not uncommon for it to be present in mince especially from supermarkets.

Yes, I would agree with this. I have stopped buying my mince from Woolies as I am tired of them overcharging. One of the first things I noticed was that the meat I buy from the butchers goes discoloured within a day or two but the meat from Woolies remains pink until I have finished it or it goes off.

My son is intolerant of sulphur dioxide which is found in dried fruits, wines (not that he drinks that lol) and anything else that is *fruit flavoured*.

He was diagnosed with migraines at 2 years old and we worked out that it was the dried mango he used to love to eat. He hasnt had a migraine since we stopped letting him eat it.

I remember there being a previous discussion on this subject a while ago.

I only feed my dogs food that I would put in my mouth - aside from the carcasss :crazy:

I'm sure one of the "current affair" shows did a story about this preservative being widely used by butchers on meat for human consumption, too- despite it being illegal. They bought meat at various butchers, then had it tested.

It makes the meat appear more red, therefore fresher-looking.

That's true. There's no guarantee a human butcher doesn't use it as regular reports on current affairs TV shows prove. One butchers I saw on TV actually had two 4 litre bottles of it underneath the front counter!

Because it's to stop meat turning brown before being sold, the best bet is to buy from a very busy butcher shop where they sell all their meat and mince quickly and have to regularly replace it. Shops where the business is very slow and the same meat sits there all day are the ones most tempted to use it. The busy shops simply don't need to.

Some info from the CSIRO:

Why SO2 is added to meat products

SO2 is added to meat products as a preservative. It increases the lag

phase of bacteria (the period of time before they begin to grow in a new

environment), slows their growth rate, and selects against the species

of bacteria that traditionally dominate in meat and eventually cause the

putrid off-odours of spoilage. It is effective against Salmonella spp and

many other Enterobacteriaceae, Pseudomonas spp, Lactobacillus spp and

various species of yeasts.

In sausages and other finely comminuted fat-protein-water meat

emulsions, it is an effective antioxidant. It also acts as a reducing agent

for preventing the grey-brown discolouration of minced meat and fresh

sausages.

Why SO2 addition must be included on labels

The label must state that sulphites are present if they are added to a

food at a level of 10 mg/kg or higher so that sensitive individuals can

avoid that food.

Why SO2 is not permitted in minced meat

The reason it is not permitted in minced meat dates back to the early

20th century when its addition was seen by regulators as masking

the presence of high numbers of bacteria by delaying the onset of

discolouration and putrid spoilage, thereby making it possible to get

away with poor hygiene and storage temperatures.

Im alergic to 220 gives me mega migranes. Cant drink wine with 220 :confused:

Find some good organic wines. They are around in Oz I think. You guys make GREAT wines. I buy them on eBay, store them at Wineaways in Brisbane, and then when I have enough, ship it to the States. Penfolds, Henshke and Jim Barry are a few favourites. O, and you have a Chardonnay called Petaluma that is MINDBLOWING!! :) Plus your beer is much better than ours. I particularly like Coopers Pale Ale that a few outlests stock locally. You guys know how to drink.

I was making up my own BARF mix with human grade meat. Through our trainer I found a guy who does a meat and vegie mix and he uses no preservatives at all. He snap freezes the packs as soon as he does the mix. I add my own supplements.