Nail Clipped Too Short - Bleeding

benny123

This morning my husband decided to clip Spud's nails. He clipped the dew claw a bit too short, Spud cried and then I saw it bleeding. I've packed around it with gauze and bandaged it. Is there anything else I can do?

Is there anything special I should have in the first aid kit in case Edward Scissorhands clips their nails again (when I'm not looking) and they bleed?

Arrrrgggghhhh, men! Thank Dog he's not a surgeon.

Hi PW,

Please can you tell me a bit more about a dremel?? What are they and where do you get them? My westies have black nails which makes it well nigh impossible to tell where the nail quick is - so everyone - me, vets, groomers - always clip them on the conservative side - I consequently have a trio of westies tripping around on wooden floors!! I'm wondering if a dremel might be the answer for these black nails??

Cheers

Westiemum :cry:

Styptic powder.

Thanks - from a pharmacy?

Pet stores will stock it.

If you use a dremel to grind down nails, it's not nearly so bad if you accidently go too far.

How to dremel dogs' nails: http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/index.html

I usue a dremel golf cleaning kit I bought off ebay for about $20.

Hi BB,

Thanks very much for the link and the ebay info. This just might be the solution to my nail clipping and tripping probs. And the level of detail on the site on how to go about it is phenomenal and really helpful - photos and all!!!

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Westsiemum :(

I can join the ranks of claw clipping failures! I just tortured my poor goldie girl. Bled for more than half an hour, but she had a good lick of it before I realised how bad it was... :eek:

The bleeding has stopped, but what do I do for her going forward? She'll be unsupervised tomorrow; do I leave a bandage on her or do I remove it and hope for the best? Any antiseptic creams/powders I should apply?

bahahaha, I have to say he's lapping up the attention with his 'sore paw'

flashfire -christ if she's still bleeding tomorrow (today) take her to the vet!

If someone nicks a nail at work we haev styptic power for it (from pet stores) and it pretty much stops straight away, that being said we are kinda used to doing nails so would only nick the very tip of the quick so it would be a small bleeding point if any.

Always go slow if you are unsure and only take a little bit off.....