Rash From Flea Treatment

Have been giving my weimaraner Advantage monthly since we got him. He hasnt ever had any problems with it until yesterday's dose, which caused him to break out in a rash. The rash is mostly around his shoulder blades and also a little down the midline of his back, where it was applied.

Since turning 6 months old, his weight increased to 28kg so the dose I gave him yesterday was the blue one for large dogs (25kg+). His prior doses were the small and medium dog ones.

Should I go back to using the Medium one until he is bigger? or should I stop giving him Advantage all together and find an alternate flea treatment?

thanks

I would say, give Advantage a call and ask them. it might be coinsidense (sp?). You should find the number on the Advantage box

Good idea. They should be helpful.

I'd be inclined to switch flea treatments, though.

Don't you need paralysis tick coverage in Brissie?

If so, Advantix or Frontline Plus should be used fortnightly to cover for paralysis ticks.

Lots of info about the different flea treatments here: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=81686

i would check with your vet and stop using the flea product "don't change and try", because most flea products have the same active ingrediants. If your dog has a reaction it will more than likely be the same with another product. As for going up they test the product at 4x the recommened dose

May I ask if the dog had had a bath, or swim within 2-3 days either side of the applications? The reason that I ask is that we use Revolution, which I think says that no bathing 48 hrs prior to or after application. The one time that we bathed her 4 days prior to application, she reacted - nice circular hair loss where it was applied - which has taken 6 mths to grow back!

I rang Bayer and they said they havent heard anything like this before and suggested we take him to the vet.

I do wonder if it's purely coincidental though since he does get hives sometimes from his seasonal allergies

squeak- we bathed him a few hours before applying Advantage.. but in the past we've done the same and havent had any problems

THE REASON YOU ARE NOT MEANT TO BATH PRIOR TO APPLYING IS SO THE OILS IN THE COAT CAN CARRY THE PRODUCT THROUGH, SO IT IS NOT SITTING IN ONE SPOT. I WOULD CALL THE COMPANY BACK I KNOW THINGS LIKE THIS HAVE HAPPENED BEFORE MY SISTERS DOG HAD A ALLERGIC REACTION TO THERE PRODUCT. DEMAND SOME ANSWERS!!! AT LEAST COMP FOR THE VET TRIP AND PRODUCT.

I too use Advantage, and for the most part, am very happy with it.

One thing though which has me watching my dogs very carefully after using it: The wording on the box has changed sometime in the last 6-8 months. A new contraindication has been added. I know this definately as I read EVERY box of stuff I get for my dogs, who tend to be a little allergic at times, particularly during hayfever season.

The new boxes say something like beware of allergies, or may cause allergies after periods of continued use, or something like that. I am not reading off the box - just going from memory here, as I'm between orders at present. Maybe someone who has a box handy can tell us exactly what the contraindication says.........

My friend who has the same breed as I do, has been using an "un-named" preparation for over 18 months, and suddenly her boy had a toxic reaction to it. Her quick thinking and immediate attention saved his life. He started being unco-ordinated and wobbly walking, and drinking heaps. After this scare, I watch them like hawks, and never go out for a few hours after putting and preparation on them.

THE REASON YOU ARE NOT MEANT TO BATH PRIOR TO APPLYING IS SO THE OILS IN THE COAT CAN CARRY THE PRODUCT THROUGH, SO IT IS NOT SITTING IN ONE SPOT. I WOULD CALL THE COMPANY BACK I KNOW THINGS LIKE THIS HAVE HAPPENED BEFORE MY SISTERS DOG HAD A ALLERGIC REACTION TO THERE PRODUCT. DEMAND SOME ANSWERS!!! AT LEAST COMP FOR THE VET TRIP AND PRODUCT.

I would suggest you read the label of any product before use.

This is not necessarily true. According to packaging, you can bath the dog. As long as the dog is completely dry before applying the product. It is recommended that you wait 24 hours before applying product.

I am not surprised that Bayer has not heard of this before. I have used Advantix on a dog and have gotten a scorch/burn mark at the application. Bayer said it was a hot spot.

Take the dog to the vet. Get it treated. It may be coincidence that it was applied at the same time the dog had an allergic reaction to something else, especially as you said that he already has allergies. Maybe has developed an alergy to Advantage.. Hence proper veterinary advice.

i would check with your vet and stop using the flea product "don't change and try", because most flea products have the same active ingrediants. If your dog has a reaction it will more than likely be the same with another product. As for going up they test the product at 4x the recommened dose

None of them have the same active ingredients. Just because a dog has a reaction from one batch of a product, doesn't mean they will for another batch, nor another different product! They also test at 10 times the recommended dose not 4. :(

As to the opening poster - as others have said, give Bayer a call, and see what they have to say for themselves.

-WithEverythingIAm

roxy is rioght, the product does use he oils to carry it through the coat. you should bathe your dog then wait at least 24 hours beofre applying it. i would say that would be why he had the reaction this time

and while they may have a different active ingredient, if the word sounds slightly similiar it means that it has the same base, just slightly diff chemical composition. so you may be better switching to frontline or something if it continues.,

good luck