Unwell Rotties

oonga

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When Sophie's dad had his first seniors blood test, one of his liver enzymes came back a bit high, I put him on the milk thistleweed tea, it is dried leaves. From then on his liver bloods have come back normal. I swear by the stuff. I get it from www.greenpet.com.au I buy it in bulk.

No difference yet with the mistletoe Kiash, it will be a week tomorrow since we started it. Tumour is still growing and bleeding.

She enjoyed a run and roll in the park today. She's still enjoying her life.

Sophie was looking totally depressed and miserable this morning and kept looking at me as though I should be doing something. It wasn't THAT look that I'm dreading so much.

I took Staffyluv's advice about a walk cheering up sick dogs...she was right!

We drove to the off leash park where Sophie loves to roll and run. She's taken to not only rolling in the grass but also rolls in the dirt! She came home much happier and dirtier. A good brush fixed her up and she's back to her usual shiny self.

These dreary days frighten the hell out of me. Each time Sophie looks miserable I wonder if this is the last day we have together. I know this day will come, probably sooner rather than later but when she looks unhappy, reality hits hard.

The mistletoe doesn't seem to be doing much, her mouth is still bleeding a few times a day and the tumour is still growing. She lets me clean her mouth so though the tumour looks awful I'd say it's not painful for her or she probably wouldn't let me near it. She knows when I approach her with a handful of tissues what's about to to happen. She's a dream to care for because she's so compliant.

Edited by cavNrott

CavNrott, just keep walking her and let her enjoy herself. Her daddy gets depressed if he isn't walked or exercised. She sounds like such a sweety, I am glad that the tumour doesn't seem painful. What a treasure she is letting you clean it for her. Most dogs would run a mile.

Thank you for your update.

Kiash, I take her out every day except when it's very windy. We can cope with the cold air with a coat but we don't go if there's a strong wind. On windy days we go for a drive with the car window open enough that she can't put her head out. I need to keep the cold air away from her mouth.

She is a sweetie and trusts me implicitly. She knows I won't cause her pain or hurt her in any way. I'm surprised she lets me clean her mouth though. It shows what a loving dog she is, not that I needed proof. I wish she was concerned with not causing me pain...she's always stepping on my feet. I'm sure it's a Rottweiler thing. My other dogs don't step on my feet but every Rotty I've had does it. Faith does it too but not often because she's usually on the couch.

The chemist I go to has a pharmacist there who is also a naturopath practitioner. He's given me a different Milk Thistle. It's for practitioner dispensing only so we can't buy it off the shelf. He was busy and I had Sophie out front in the car where she could see me so I didn't stick around to ask him why this Milk Thistle is better. It comes in a tabsule and he said to give Sophie 3 per day before meals. Her nightcap of yoghurt and goat milk counts as a meal so we're ok. He also prescribed her a naturopathic calcium ascorbate.

I know which days this naturopath is on duty now so I'll see him next week and if he's not busy I'll ask him to suggest anything else that might help.

Sophie was looking totally depressed and miserable this morning and kept looking at me as though I should be doing something. It wasn't THAT look that I'm dreading so much.

I took Staffyluv's advice about a walk cheering up sick dogs...she was right!

We drove to the off leash park where Sophie loves to roll and run. She's taken to not only rolling in the grass but also rolls in the dirt! She came home much happier and dirtier. A good brush fixed her up and she's back to her usual shiny self.

These dreary days frighten the hell out of me. Each time Sophie looks miserable I wonder if this is the last day we have together. I know this day will come, probably sooner rather than later but when she looks unhappy, reality hits hard.

The mistletoe doesn't seem to be doing much, her mouth is still bleeding a few times a day and the tumour is still growing. She lets me clean her mouth so though the tumour looks awful I'd say it's not painful for her or she probably wouldn't let me near it. She knows when I approach her with a handful of tissues what's about to to happen. She's a dream to care for because she's so compliant.

That is great that she had so much fun at the park... I am so glad to hear it.

I love to see Ollie have fun too - it is the day he does not enjoy it that I dread...

Hope she is feeling better after her trip to the park.

Hugs to you both

Jodie

Hopefully the new meds work for Sophie, anything is worth a try. :laugh: about feet standing. I have an 8mth old Ash son here and he drives me nuts standing on my feet all the time. Mind you, because he bounces around me, I stand on his quite a few times too.

Hopefully the new meds work for Sophie, anything is worth a try. :laugh: about feet standing. I have an 8mth old Ash son here and he drives me nuts standing on my feet all the time. Mind you, because he bounces around me, I stand on his quite a few times too.

Oh! The joy of a young pup, Kiash. I knew Sophie would be my last Rotty puppy when I brought her home from the breeder. That's one of the reasons she's so very special to me. I knew there would be no more, I enjoyed every second with her.

We had a good talk the day she came home from the breeder. We lay together on my bed where all our serious talks take place. I promised her I would protect her, raise and train her gently and love her always. I promised her I would never lay a hand on her to hurt her. I think she made a silent deal with me that she in turn would always be kind, gentle and trustworthy. That's the way it's always been with us.

Now we have osteosarcoma and I can't protect her and keep her safe, the disease will take her. We are robbed of time we should have together. All I can do for her is keep her pain free and love her enough to let her go when needs me to. I won't ask for one more day when she's ready to go.

I'm doing what I can to keep her alive, happy and feeling well but the disease will defeat us in it's own time. In the meantime we are both fighting it with everything we've got. I see an improvement in her today so maybe the new meds are good. I hope to see the naturopath pharmacist next week. He may be able to come up with other things that will help my girl.

Though we didn't go out today, she has been happy just to follow me around. She's in good spirits and no pain. She had a good day.

cavNrott,

sorry to hear that Sophie has been through a sad patch and that the natural therapy doesn't seem to be working,

hopefully the new lot will do a better job!

But very happy to hear that a walk cheered her up again :laugh:

I loved reading your post about when you first bought Sophie home :laugh:

In my eyes though you are still protecting her,

I have no doubt that Sophie still sees you as her protector.

BIG hugs to you all :laugh:

Thanks to all for keeping us in your thoughts.

Sophie is still feeling well and happy. The mistletoe isn't slowing the growth of the tumour. The naturopath has prescribed another product for cell renewal, he said it won't do harm and may do some good.

We see the oncologist on Thursday and Sophie will have more tests. I'm probably living in a fools paradise but I'm expecting Sophie's liver and kidney enzymes to be ok. I know its not rational to expect that because her cancer is well established but hoping for the best won't do her any harm.

I believe it's Sophie's happy nature and love of life that's kept her going for months after her prognosis (just a few days/couple of weeks). None of the vets expected her to see February let alone still be here happy and pain free. I make sure she's pain free, she can't enjoy life if she has pain and I don't want her to give up.

I think it's time to take her off the cytotoxic drug as it's no longer working to slow down the growth of the tumour. This stuff kills off cells. It doesn't discriminate between cancer cells and normal cells. Since it's no longer killing the cancer cells I'd rather not take the risk of it killing off any healthy cells. We'll see what the onco has to say.

Thanks Kiash for your kind words. Sophie and I are a team... she's the inspirational half of this team. She lives in the moment and enjoys everything. She's always happy. I'm the one who worries about what might happen next. To see her cope the way she does inspires me too.

Shek and I have been talking and I think I might put Sophie on the Robert McDowell osteo and Pine bark mixes if she can come off this drug regime. Guess I just have to wait and see what the onco has to say about it all.

Hug was duly given to Sophie...she loves hugs.

Shek and I have been talking and I think I might put Sophie on the Robert McDowell osteo and Pine bark mixes if she can come off this drug regime. Guess I just have to wait and see what the onco has to say about it all.

Posting those tomorrow for you Anne, I'm going to try and equal your super protection wrapping :mad