Tail Docking

A_Nomad

My boy got bitten on the tail, and has been healing well, last night the vet said that he might have a bone infection in the tail, and if the next dose of antibiotics dont work, they may have to dock his tail, has anyone been thru this, is it a big procedure?? Is there any other means of fixing this with out taking his tail off, as i would prefer for it to stay on.

many years ago, our labrador Brian Custard O'Doggle had his tail amputated after he was hit by a car.... foolishly we opted to have it short as if it were deliberately docked. With the wisdom of an additional 35 years of living with dogs I would now save as much of the tail as possible - it is such an important communication device .

Good Luck

H

many years ago, our labrador Brian Custard O'Doggle had his tail amputated after he was hit by a car.... foolishly we opted to have it short as if it were deliberately docked. With the wisdom of an additional 35 years of living with dogs I would now save as much of the tail as possible - it is such an important communication device .

Good Luck

H

Thats good advice about the length as to where it gets docked, cheers.

Yep, fingers crossed Luvabull that the next course of antibiotics work t.

My mum & dad used to have a Blue ACD, she had a natural "stumpy tail" (dad was born tail-less and mum had a full one, half the pup only had stumpy tails). After a few years though Mum had to have Molly's tail docked a bit any way, I was only about 13 at the time so i'm not too sure what the exact problem was, but I know the bone had a twist in it and Molly was very sensitive.

It didn't really cause her much bother having a bit docked off, but that could be because it was so short anyway...

I hope Scoobs gets better with the meds though!

I have a miniature poodle from back in the days where they all were docked to 1/3 normal length. Our other dog is younger, so has a full tail.

To be honest, it makes little difference. I've also had a docked boxer- she used to do a full bum wag in the absence of a tail :rofl:.

I prefer a full tail, but my dogs are pets. Others have very strong idea for and against.

If it were for a medical reason, I wouldn't hesitate to have it docked if the vet thought that was the safest option for the dog.

Body language looks much the same here:

Nelsons2-1.jpg

It is a major operation - an amputation - general anaesthetic, stitches, the lot. Be guided by your vet about length - sometimes is it better to shorten the tail quite a lot so further damage is not done to the stump by wagging during healing. However, it is no more serious than any other operation - less so than speying a bitch, for example.

Incidentally, removal of a tail is "docking" of a puppy, and "amputation" of a dog's tail. Different operation. Much more serious with an adult. But, sometimes, there is no option. Not to remove the tail would result in other problems. My friend's cat had his tail removed because he broke it, and there was nerve damage - he could not lift or carry it, and it had no feeling in it.

The only thing to watch for, make sure the tail isn't docked to a length that would have the end sticking in the floor when the dog sits, a friend has a weimy with a tail like this and the dog is never comfortable in a sit.

As Tony said, your dog will have no problem communicating with other dogs, all but one here are docked and get on fine with other dogs.

Let us know how he goes after this course of antibios