My 9 Year Old Rottie Girl Has Had A Stroke

rakaaz

I'm posting this topic in the hope that some of you may have some ideas to help our girl Flynn. Last Monday she suffered from what we now know was a mild stroke. She is now much quieter than normal, no longer interested in being the top dog, and has difficulty eating. She seems to only be able to eat from the right side, and has drool from the left side of her mouth.

We have changed her food to soft food to make it easier for her and that is helping.

The vet has her on cortisone for the next week to see if it helps her, and my OH is a Bowen Therapist so she is receiving regular Bowen treatments.

If anyone has any other thoughts on what we can do to help her it would be much appreciated, thanks.

Ive had two dogs go through this - one lived a good while after and another is still around - however, one had a stroke and the other had vestibular disorde - very similar.

http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/storyt...ry_no=1872#ct-3

Alternative therapies are excellent but will only go so far. You need to think physio (which I dont really consider alternative) and time.

Cortisone should help a little but it really is about giving time.

I will give the next hug to her from you Trace - she is getting lots atm.

I had a search on DOL on strokes but couldn't find anything so thought it might be worth asking.

Her mobility seems okay, just the desire to do as much is less. When OH does a Bowen on her he does extra moves around the jaw and he says it all feels normal. Even the way she drinks water is different now.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Does she have a head tilt as often that can be the inner ear rather than a stroke. All other symptoms are very similar. I have had the inner ear issue which was orginally misdiagnosed as a stroke. Nothing but time helps but Kell did return to about 90%, just kept the head tilt

Rakaaz... I hope that she is going to be ok, I'm sure that the Bowen will be helping her.

I don't have any info for you but just wanted to say that i'm thinking of you here and do hope that she gets better...

Give her big hugs from us all here (that's lots and lots of hugs :thumbsup: )

When our border collie had a stroke, we raised her food bowl when eating. We found that if she had to bend over, she often went straight into the dish :thumbsup: At least I can laugh about it now!She also didn't like having her collar around her neck.She also loved to massaged-you are so lucky having a Bowen therapist "on tap". Good luck with Flynn