What Treats Does Everyone Use In Training, Agilitys Etc?

I started agility with my Whippet bitch tonight and i can tell we are both going to love it! I was wondering what everyone has found works well as a treat - i use liver treats in the ring - but have never had to use them much. But im finding i will be using treats LOTS while training her in agility and she got bored with them pertty quickley ;) .

Was curious as to what people find works well. The "wet" treats i find really messy, but maybe they are better as the are fresh?

I buy the lunch meat roles at coles for treats. I chop it up and put in plastic bag to avoid some mess. Cheap and effective and my dogs lurve them, they never seem to get sick of the stuff ;) Of course I reduce their meal when using lots of treats.

Edited by FHRP

I'm lucky because my dogs will eat absolutely anything. When they're doing flyball or lots of running around I like to use something soft and fresh because their mouths become dry.

I use cheese a bit, left over sausages, kebana, anything that they wouldn't normally get so it's special. I might be imagining things but if the dogs know it's something we eat they're even keener.

ETA Yes, definitely a light feed the day before.

Edited by 2tollers

Mine are so food obsessed I could feed them a meal 5 min before we train and they would still work for dry kibble lol

I normally use any left over meat we have, like left over xmas turkey, mmmm yum! Or often skinless frankfurts. I cut it up and put it in little snack sized ziplock bags in the freezer and just take one out when I need it

I keep an eye out for the really low fat beef roasts (I think its called virginian roast) when they're marked down at the supermarket, and then cut them into "steaks" cook them and cut them up into small pieces. If there's extras on special I put them in the freezer til I need them.

Fiddly yes, but my dog gets fat on the smell of an oily rag and they keep for a good week or two if they're cooked properly. They're also a great combination between a wet treat that she can scoff down quick and isn't greasy or wet enough to make a mess of my pocket ;)

Sometimes I use the roo steaks as well, prefer the roast though.

Guest doggydo

I havnt taught Holly much but I cook up liver and cut into pieces. She will do what I ask for her liver but if given too much she gets the runs. :) I also use cheese, she loves her cheese. ;)

I use a mix of kibble, cat biscuits, sometimes cheese, sandwhich meats from the deli if their cheap and bought dog treats.

ACtuallya couple of times I've made my own treats, got cheap liver or kidney at the supermarket, cut it thinly, lay it on a baking rack and baked it for a few hours. The dogs will kill for it but it stinks the hosue out a bit while its cooking so I can only do it when no ones home lol.

Edited by busterlove

Commonly I use cheese, lunch meat rolls, any leftover cooked meet, apple, beans or any other fruit or vege that I have lying around (but these have to be cut into small bits for my girl, else we won't get anywhere very fast).

Anything really, I have even used the cheese singles in the past as well. My dog loves them and they are a convenient size for a short training session or training session in the kitchen at a drop of the hat.