My Dogs Keep Jumping The Fence

:) im in desperate need of advise :mad

ive tryed to ignore it and just keep chasing them down the road! :o but i cant do it anymore!!

they keep jumping the fence and wondering the streets!both are males

i keep thinking its just a female on heat, they will stop it soon but it has been happening for about a month!

:D

ive tried making the fence twice as high,tried locking them inside(haveing a very hard mess to clean in morning)

ive tried punishing them!im out of ideas :cheer:

because im at a rental property they wont let me build the fence any higher :)

its only the last month or so ive had this problem!

and its only at night time they get out!

im scared and worried about them and what might happen so i contune to lock them up in side my house :(

what can i do with these out of control boys? :laugh:

Edited by lovebug

hey

yes one is desexed and the other is only a pup!

i think its the older boy (6 yrs +)teaching the young guy bad habbits!

ive asked the realestate what i can do and they said nothing as the house is up for sale so i cant make ulteration at all

how do them electic fences work?ive seen them on ebay

hey

yes one is desexed and the other is only a pup!

i think its the older boy (6 yrs +)teaching the young guy bad habbits!

ive asked the realestate what i can do and they said nothing as the house is up for sale so i cant make ulteration at all

how do them electic fences work?ive seen them on ebay

you are better off buying a garden electric fence from a produce store and they have full instructions with them. Or lock them up at night in the laundry or bathroom.

forgot to add you better find out electric fence regulations where you live first

Edited by kimoliverelka

the latest handyman magazine has some fencing ideas for escape artists ..... another suggestion is to run wire inside PVC piping along the top of the fence line so that they can't get a good foot hold ...... that could also be a portable option should you ever move.

thanks for the ideas i will try anything

im sick of the mess in side and i dont want them to get out again coz im not sure what they are like with cats etc

and there are over 100 in my street(old lady 2 doors up feeds all the strays)

Why don't you do what us farmers do buy a couple of kennels and chain them up at night. Then you know where they are at night. Then there is no mess inside and you can easily take the kennels with you to the next place.

Confine your dogs at night, you can keep them in the laundry, crate them or purchase portable dog runs that can be dismantled when you move. I don't agree with chaining dogs under circumstances, I know of too many dogs who have accidentally hanged themselves and tying a dog up can encourage barking and aggression both of which are totally unacceptable especially if you live in suburbia.

Miranda,

I have 5 dogs that are on chains. I disagree that it encourages barking and aggression. None of my dogs bark when tied up (they have manners) and it certainly doesn't create any aggression (don't know where that came from). They certainly don't live on the chains, but responsible dog owners, many who are on properties do have their dogs on chains as it keeps them safe especially at night. I only suggested this idea as the larger pens are not cheap by any means and people need as many ideas as possible put to them so they can then make a choice themselves.

I agree that chaining has its uses (our working dogs are chained when not working, or in our company) but this needs to be taught to a dog, so the dog IS comfortable on the chain, and becomes "chain savvy" :o owners also have to put much thought into allocating an area,choosing a chain type, providing shelter and space, and also making the area SAFE

Young Widget (7 mths) has been chained at night now for a couple of months..she is SO much quieter ..has her bone and usually a full KONG..a couple of toilet rolls to chew, her blanket and kennel....

Miranda,

I have 5 dogs that are on chains. I disagree that it encourages barking and aggression. None of my dogs bark when tied up (they have manners) and it certainly doesn't create any aggression (don't know where that came from). They certainly don't live on the chains, but responsible dog owners, many who are on properties do have their dogs on chains as it keeps them safe especially at night. I only suggested this idea as the larger pens are not cheap by any means and people need as many ideas as possible put to them so they can then make a choice themselves.

I am not referring to working dogs on properties, the OP appears to live in a highly populated area and IMO chaining a couple of dogs who are used to escaping from the yard on a regular basis is likely to lead to frustration and barking. These dogs are used to being free to do as they wish and if, for instance, the dog jumped over its kennel trying to free itself and the chain wasn't long enough then you would have a dead dog. Most suburban yards just aren't large enough to tie dogs up, there are too many obstacles that the dog can get tangled up with and a dog that's not used to being restrained in this way may quite literally go off its head in its efforts to escape.

Regarding the aggression issue, chaining a dog is one of the leading causes of dog bites, two of the others are being entire and being male. Working dogs are different in that they receive training, exercise and lots of stimulation so they are tired at night and chaining for 8 hours isn't so much of a problem. Unfortunately dogs kept in suburbia frequently receive little or no training, limited exercise and sometimes no mental stimulation at all. Chaining a dog under these circumstances simply increases their frustration and they often becomes territorial and extremely protective of their kennel and their space.

As I said before I don't agree with chaining dogs, especially in suburbia.

I would be crating the dogs at night to start. Wont take them long to learn to hold it. I have just crate trained our 5 month old Amstaff who has had to be crated due to injury. After two weeks he is fantastic and only wants to go out twice each day. At first he wanted to go out 10 times a day!

If you can afford it, I would buy a portable kennel run with a ROOF on it. Wont affect the house or resale value or anything, you can take it with you where ever you go.

If you can afford it, I would buy a portable kennel run with a ROOF on it. Wont affect the house or resale value or anything, you can take it with you where ever you go.

Good plan!!

OP..If you cannot make the fence higher..don't feel happy with them being indoors, and cannot afford to buy a run/kennel.... then an electric wire may be the go.

How much exercise are they getting?

A GOOD long walk (not a 'play'/beach walk)..but a walk where they must concentrate and do a little obedience every so often.. twice a day would be ideal (plus their play time :(

Keeping lots of interesting things in the yard?

Huge cardboard boxes, bones, KONGS, tyres, squeaky toys, a couple of soccer balls...

food hidden under the ground...

oh, and

ive tried punishing them!

unless you are doing this at EXACTLY the moment they START to scale the fence.......they will not associate it with climbing the fence, and , not only will you waste your energy, THEY will wonder why you are doing it!

(and, no, they don't 'know' they've done wrong) :mad

Hope you have some ideas to work with , now..it must be frustrating :laugh:

I am not referring to working dogs on properties, the OP appears to live in a highly populated area and IMO chaining a couple of dogs who are used to escaping from the yard on a regular basis is likely to lead to frustration and barking. These dogs are used to being free to do as they wish and if, for instance, the dog jumped over its kennel trying to free itself and the chain wasn't long enough then you would have a dead dog. Most suburban yards just aren't large enough to tie dogs up, there are too many obstacles that the dog can get tangled up with and a dog that's not used to being restrained in this way may quite literally go off its head in its efforts to escape.

:laugh:

It is against RSPCA legislation for you to contain your dogs with an electric fence.

I can't tell you enough how great this method is, but if the rspca catch you using it, they'll do you for cruelty.

I have an electric fence system (we're on acres with horses :laugh: ) and both of my dogs have have been zapped as well as the Miniature Horse that used to just walk right through the fences (it was intended for the mini, she used to be a horror with fences).

Our electric fence has since been disconnected, but the white tape still runs around the boundry fencing. Thats all it takes :) They see the white tape is still there and don't go anywhere near it.

Years ago I bought one of those transportable dog pens for my fence jumping Whippet. I found that AFTER I put shade mesh over the top of it, it held her fine. Cost a fair bit, but I really got my moneys worth out of it :eek:

• 1 month later...
It is against RSPCA legislation for you to contain your dogs with an electric fence.

I can't tell you enough how great this method is, but if the rspca catch you using it, they'll do you for cruelty.

I have an electric fence system (we're on acres with horses :laugh: ) and both of my dogs have have been zapped as well as the Miniature Horse that used to just walk right through the fences (it was intended for the mini, she used to be a horror with fences).

Our electric fence has since been disconnected, but the white tape still runs around the boundry fencing. Thats all it takes :laugh: They see the white tape is still there and don't go anywhere near it.

Years ago I bought one of those transportable dog pens for my fence jumping Whippet. I found that AFTER I put shade mesh over the top of it, it held her fine. Cost a fair bit, but I really got my moneys worth out of it :laugh:

LOL cruelty, I have been zapped by one of those fences myself on a school excursion when I was about 14, we had to crawl under it, and me being a fat ass didnt help and my back touched it as I was under it, it threw me to the ground like a firm kick, I cant imagine it being any worse than a firm slap to the dog, aggressive but not exactly cruel. Incase color indicates anything this one was fluoro orange.

Edited by DogNoob

Thanks for that article Helen.

Should your dog get tangled and stuck in a electric fence there is a possibility that it will kill the dog. I have known of horses and a child killed after getting stuck.