Josh Is Sick With Kennel Cough/pancreatitus

Josh is sick with kennel cough. He is not eating, and has stuff coming out of his mouth, and eyes. He is very weak. He is at the vets at the moment and is losing weight. Any other dogs here has kennel cough this bad?

Edited by whatevah

Oh no poor Josh.

Was he up to date with his vacinations? If so that would have probably saved his life as he would have the KC worse if he wasn't vaccinated.

When did he start coughing? When did you take him to the vets? Hopefully they have him on antibiotics and a saline drip.

Oh no poor Josh.

Was he up to date with his vacinations? If so that would have probably saved his life as he would have the KC worse if he wasn't vaccinated.

When did he start coughing? When did you take him to the vets? Hopefully they have him on antibiotics and a saline drip.

Not necessarily, the theory is that the vaccinations cover the common causes of KC and the worse of the strains BUT the term Kennel Cough is used to describe a cough, in much the same way that colic describes a tummy ache in horses. There is no reason to suggest that Josh would die if not vaccinated.

A Saline drip is not always appropriate in respiratory cases.

Whatevah, I hope Josh makes a complete and full recovery and is home with you very soon :)

I agree the vac doesnt mean it saved him.

Infact 3 of my dogs had it badly when vacclast year due to it being so bad i decided to not get it done & he never got it.

The dog in question actually had it 3 times & the breed is well known for getting it badly.

We have found after countless years in the kennel industry that either can get it.Whilst we prefer dogs with C5 & encourage it we will take dogs with C3/4 & have found over the years the C3 to fair better but have also found friends who strictly take C5 only dogs get it 2-3 times every year .

In the 15 yrs of having kennels we have had it through 4 times.

Some dogs do badly either way.some vets go totally over the top with treatment & scare the living crap out of there owners & treat with stuff that will have little benefit.

He is on a drip. He did a flyball demo at Stonnington and also a flyball demo at the RSPCA the next day. This was not last weekend but the weekend before. I noticed that when I got from Fiji about 4 weeks ago that he was thinner. I wouldn't be surprised if something else is going on. Last year he had a twisted bowel and they also noticed crystallization in his urine. They want to take an x-ray of his lungs.

Tia had kennel cough once, and only coughed for 2 days and she was fine. Moses has never had it.

Have let the flyball lists know. He is 7 years old. I also noticed this year he has started to slow down, not sure if that is age. I know that flatcoat retrievers age more slowly than golden retreivers.

Just as well I don't have any dogs down for the Ringwood flyball competition. I usually don't have my dogs in comps in the summer months, gives them a chance to rest.

my pups caught it at 11 weeks-a week before they were to be vacc.my big boy had gone in for hip/elbow scoring and i had him done with c5,4 days later all the pups had it-15 of them :laugh: 1 ended up with pnuemonia but responded well to antibiotics.in josh's case maybe there is more going on,he sounds like he had a rough trot.hope he gets better soon.

Just rang the vet and they found out that he has pancreatitus. We should be able to get him home in a couple of days. He has to be on a low fat diet, which I think he is anyway. He will be out of action for awhile.

Usually only fat dogs get this. But after reading the link, I had given him some sausages but that was about 10 days ago, so I don't know if that brought it on.

http://www.vetstop.com.au/info/Pancreatit.asp

The thing with the neighbours is still going on. They were the only neighbours to object. They even complained about the dogs moving their food bowls on the decking in the mornings.

Edited by whatevah

Josh is much better now. He never had kennel cough, it was pancreatitus. Our next door neighbours have moved. !!!!! the complaining ones. The new ones have a little dog, and they told us they don't mind if our dogs bark, because dogs are dogs. I told them to let us know if they do.

... Our next door neighbours have moved. ...

Aw half your luck, I wish ours would move, I wish they would win the lottery and go back to Pommy Land with their whinges. The nearest neighbours never complain: just the one with the Brit accent.

Anyway, good news that Josh is picking up. Is there any ongoing treatment for him or just watch his diet? We didn't enter for Ringwood either but I'll go along for a look (esp to see the Tassie team) - are you going?

Just rang the vet and they found out that he has pancreatitus.

Usually only fat dogs get this. But after reading the link, I had given him some sausages but that was about 10 days ago, so I don't know if that brought it on.

Not sure what I've missed, but how is pancreatitis misdiagnosed with kennel cough? These are two very different illnesses. Just sounds a little odd to me.

Also overweight dogs can be more prone to pancreatitis, but lean dogs can also suffer from it just as easily.