When Walking Two Dogs...

Have started taking Hudson (3.5 month old Saint pup) out for short walks with Zephyr (3 year old Bernese). When my OH comes too, it is easy, as we have one dog each. When I'm walking the two of them by myself though, is it better to have one on each side of me (i.e. one lead in each hand) or both of them on my left?

What do others do, and what do you find works best? And why? I used to walk Zephyr and Oakley (previous Saint) at the same time, and would usually have one on each side of me, but now I'm not certain which is the best way to do it.

Thanks for any opinions offered :)

I walk 3 dogs and have them all to my left in "casual heel" positions. They tend to end up with two in front (probably their waist level with me) and my older one behind them, but I don't mind where they are as long as they stay to my left and have loose leads.

In days gone by, I walked 2 dogs on the left hand side - the ACD was always closest to my side (loyal girl) and the Beagle was on the outside.....which allowed him to catch every scent as we passed by and even get in a quick leg lift :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Guest Piximatosis

I walk Holly and Desmo together. If we're walking past someone then they are both on my left side. Otherwise they walk wherever they want - so usually Holly beside me and Desmo in front of me.

With my two I start out holding one leash in each hand. Once the initial enthusiasm has toned down, I hold both leads in my left hand. Jatz tends to walk in front of me and Coda behind.

I know that some trainers (like Cesar Millan) say the dog should never be in front of you, but walking two dogs next to you takes up too much room I find. As long as no one is pulling I tend not to mind where they walk.

Guest Piximatosis

I prefer Desmo to be in front of me... means if we come around the corner and collide with someone or something unsavoury he's there to deal with it before I am :rofl:

I prefer Desmo to be in front of me... means if we come around the corner and collide with someone or something unsavoury he's there to deal with it before I am :rofl:

Hehe..points on practibility.

If I'm only walking my two girls (cattle cross size) it's usually both on my left but if I've got other dogs at the same time it's the two stable ones on either side (well..mostly stable) and any other dogs any other way.

If I'm feeling crazy and walk 2 dogs at once I'll have one on each side. I find that my Aussie's have to be on the left cause they just can't seem to understand that walking on the right is okay :rofl:

Normally I'll just put mine in the car and take em down the river or to our block where they don't have to be on lead and can run about like mad things!

I walked Benson and Dusty today.....not far and certainly not very fast! LOL! Eventually they got the idea but oh boy, did they make a chore out of it! I think it will be easier when Dusty gets closer in size to Benson....and grows a slightly bigger brain than the one she's got now. Cos she was on the left, on the right, under him, behind him, under my feet, around my ankles.......

I think to the left and slightly ahead of me would have worked nicely if I could have got the dogs to do it both at the same time!

I walked Benson and Dusty today.....not far and certainly not very fast! LOL! Eventually they got the idea but oh boy, did they make a chore out of it! I think it will be easier when Dusty gets closer in size to Benson....and grows a slightly bigger brain than the one she's got now. Cos she was on the left, on the right, under him, behind him, under my feet, around my ankles.......

I hear ya GayleK! :rofl:

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. Seems there is no definitely right or definitely wrong way, just whatever seems to work the best :D

Hi Cassie!

If you find the magic way can you please let me know??!! I usually walk mine separately - but today I couldn't be bothered going twice so they both came. Roger (Greyhound) is a dream to walk but Noodle (17 week old Mini Poodle) is crazy!!! I mostly had them both on the left but she was in front, behind, left, right, under Rog, across Rog!!!!!!! Think I will just do 1 at a time if possible until she learns some nice walking manners!!

Trish :)

Ivan and Angel on the left on really short leads, Chopper on the right with slightly more, but still by my side. If he's not in front he'll pull like a demon. If I give him half an inch more than the others he's happy :) I know he's manipulated me into getting his own way, but quite frankly, unless I suddenly bump into Cesar Milan some morning, I really don't care :rolleyes:

Guest Clover

Clover and Harri (JRT) on the left, and the 2 Border Collies on the right :)... i am mad i know, but i dont like going for more than 2 walks a night (sometimes go for a bike ride with the Borders and a walk with C & H).

When I feel strong enough (emotionally) to walk both, I walk one on either side. Stormy, who understands how to walk nicely is on my left, and Murphy on the right. Murphy can walk nicely on a loose lead when walked by himself, but is still learning how to do this when walked with Stormy. He wants to be out in front, and pulling, so I need him on my "good" side so I can correct him when necessary. I also find that by walking one on each side, I can make any individual corrections that I need. Also, the space between them seems to make them understand that we are out for a walk, not playtime. All is good until we see a cat and then there are two 28 kg going in two different directions :)

When I walk my 3 together, they are usually out in front, not pulling but with leads long enough they can be there and me not step on them, if something is coming I will heel them to my left. I like my dogs being out in front because I can keep an eye on them, and I like to watch them walk :rolleyes: silly I know, but it is kinda calming, plus I can also see if they are hurt in anyway. They all walk nicely side by side, very cute. Trying to get 3 kelpies to heel to my left is just not worth the effort :laugh: Once they get comfortable and get the hang of it, they are really good, although Shamus needs to be renamed Ziggy on walks as he tends to zig zag in front of me as we are walking along. He is better with other dogs there to steady him, but shocking when alone :eek: