Encouraging Use Of Broken Leg

ish

My almost 7 year old GSD bitch broke the smaller bone in one of her front legs 5 weeks ago in a fight. Up until yesterday, her leg was splinted and bandaged up. She's been suffering with it a bit, developing pressure sores from the splint, particularly a big one on the point of her elbow. Her leg now has 2 rolls of cotton, a roll of vet wrap and some elastoplast bandage.

The vet said I'm to encourage her to use it for the next week, and if she doesn't use it she'll have to be re-xrayed next week. She has been getting around quite well by holding the broken leg out to the side and using her other 3 legs - so how do I convince her to start using the broken leg again?

I've got a dam, but I didn't think it would be a good idea with her open pressure sores? I'd have to unwrap her leg too and I guess she's supposed to have it on for support. Theres no dog swimming pools nearby. Once she's unwrapped and the sores have healed, I planned on getting her swimming - she's lost alot of muscle tone in her shoulder

Have you got a harness? Will she use both front legs if she pulls on one?

I found when Ted had a front leg injury that he would use it at very slow speeds but pick it up and carry it otherwise. What happens if she's onlead and forced to go slowly.

Try up or down hill too. Uphill would be easier on her at first.

I've got a dam, but I didn't think it would be a good idea with her open pressure sores? I'd have to unwrap her leg too and I guess she's supposed to have it on for support. Theres no dog swimming pools nearby. Once she's unwrapped and the sores have healed, I planned on getting her swimming - she's lost alot of muscle tone in her shoulder

definately no swimming with open wounds!!

I wouldn't say she's reluctant to use it- I think she's not using it presently because it used to be sore and she hasn't used it for 5 weeks and because its still wrapped up, she probably thinks she can't still. The splint was sort of spoon shaped with her paw sitting in the bottom of it, so she hasn't put any weight on it for the whole time. I'd imagine it would feel strange and stiff

Hi Ish

I had a 2 year old BC break every bone in her foot from fence climbing when she reefed it out. She had major surgery including a bone graft from her shoulder and a plate and 10 pins. She too was soft bandaged but with a pulycarbonate support. The bandage was changed weekly then fortnightly.

She was only allowed short walks on lead for 12 weeks then a build up over the next 6 weeks.She was originally quite wary of putting her foot on the ground and continued to hobble on 3 legs even when the cast came off.

Over time and being allowed some free time to run she began putting her foot on the ground more and more. She now uses her paw without issue and unless you know would not pick which is her b*&%ed foot. She swims and she runs tho her gait is still a little off as her foot is fixed permanently in position. You know when her foot is sore as she will hold it up off the ground.

We did a lot of work with her in getting her to hold it and weight bearing with her foot. We bandaged her other foot and got her to stand for different periods. We would hold her other foot off the ground and make her balance.

You have to remember it is just like us when we have been through major surgery its getting used to the feeling that it is different.

Muscle wastage is a huge issue and we also did a lot of massage work and stretching to get her used to the new feelings in her foot.

The dumb blonde (tho she is black and white) is now quick and agile on her feet, plays like a hooligan, swims and runs with the pack without issues. The fence climbing has ceased however we now try and do sqeeze thru gates.

Ughhhhhh!!!!!

She'll be more inclined to use the leg if you walk her verrrry slowly - slow motion usually eases them in to gentle weight bearing and take it from there.

She might have a trigger point issue too after the leg not being used for so long.

Edited by Clyde

Same advice as Clyde.

My Madame has had a op for torn ligament. The wizard surgeon told us to walk her very, very, ver slowly to encourage leg usage. Do this initially for 5 minutes. If she uses her leg correctly, increase walking to 20 mins over 2-3 weeks. We've had good results with this approach.

I would lead walk & use a towel or similiar to make a sling that will go around her belly.When walking use the sling to support but allow her to feel at her own pace.

This is the method used on our dog after back surgery went very wrong & we had to build the rear end.