Desexing, Do Vets Ever Give Pain Killers After?

My GSD was desexed today and she really looks like she is in pain. I know she is a bit dopey still and feeling sorry for herself but that look on her face is doing me in.

Do vets ever prescribe pain killers afterwards because she hasnt been given anything. She has had an antibiotic shot but thats all.

She vomited after we got her home because she had had a drink. Oops and she has just vomited again.

I did call the vet and she said just to give her a very small amount of fluids in a few hours and if she does it again then not until tomorrow.

Does this sound right?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes definitely!

All my pets have been sent home with sufficient pain relief.

Poor dog, a spey is incredibly invasive she will be feeling a heck of a lot of pain without some form of relief. Insist to your vet that you want some, and it should also be included on the spey price.

My local vet here keeps bitches in overnight -

Same, I missed that part in the OP. Pretty harsh she was sent home same day :D

Offer her small amounts of water at a time if she's interested. And a cuddle from me!

Many vets now give pain relief as a standard inclusion in a desexing and the cost is built in to the price. Most others would have it as an 'optional extra' to be offered at the time of admission. If you are worried she is sore I would ring again now before they close and request analgesia.

The advice given for after care sounds pretty standard. If she is very sore it may contribute to vomiting.

My local vet here keeps bitches in overnight -

Same, I missed that part in the OP. Pretty harsh she was sent home same day :D

Offer her small amounts of water at a time if she's interested. And a cuddle from me!

In some ways it is a good thing bitches are kept in overnight for observation, it shows they care about the dog... Sad that you don't have the dog home with you, but for one night, at least I know she is on pain relief and is kept under watch. The local vet here is also a vet hospital, so I suppose it has some pluses, although I now drive up to Dayboro. Found the vets there at the Uni are really good and treat you with a bit more respect and not another "dumb" pet owner.

I had to take the old girl in for a full blood work, urine test and thyroid test last week. The vet was really good, listened to what I knew of the history of diseases in the family (her mother had late onset diabetes), this bitch suffers exercise induced hypothermia and my records of how often, how long, etc and what is done to control it. They did not treat me as a dumb pet owner and really spent the time looking into her problems. The whole thing cost only $144 which I am surprised for an initial consultation, and the lab work done.

Will definately be going back there.

Mine have always had pain relief, both here & in the UK.

Same goes for cats - just had a boy kitten desexed & he too was given injectable 24 hour pain relief before being discharged - & his op is a far less invasive/painful procedure (no stitches even !). I think your girl should definitely be given something asap.

The only thing on the bill is desexing fee. It doesnt list anything else including the abs she was given so I just dont know. I rang them again because she was still vomiting but the vet seems to think that its just the anaesthetic wearing off and to keep her nil by mouth until tomorrow and see how she goes. I forgot to ask about pain killers when I spoke to them. Is there anything I can give her that I might have here?

Stoopid stoopid me :D

edited for spelling

Edited by SarasMum

we have had bitches speyed over the years and they have never come home vomiting,

they were alwys sent home with painkilers for at least the first day or so,

he said nil by mouth until tomorrow? how long since she has had anything to drink???yesterday?

I would be worried about dehydration as well as the pain.

Guest The Warden

Yes.

With Axle I chose every extra possible EXCEPT overnight and I regret it. Gizmo I asked the vet what he would do for his dog if it was free, and I chose those options. He said a few of them have almost no benefit and are wank factor.

Guest Tess32

What's the point of keeping them overnight when they aren't being watched anyway, whereas at home you can?

Um from my experiences when both dogs and bitches get desexed they get a painkilling injection to go along with it and I have always bought them home on the same day as their operation.

I have never had any vet send home any sort of pain relief tablets. Because I foster rescue pugs I have had quite a few dogs and bitches, including my own, desexed whilst they have been in my care.

Can't say that I have ever had any of the throw up but they have all been groggy, to different extents, but absolutley fine the next day after they had slept it off. I had one bitch that went through some periods of heavy breathing like she was in a bit of pain. I will always have the dogs right next to me where ever I might be, for comfort, then when I go to bed the sleep next to me, as usual. The next day they have alwasy been fine.

It's to my understanding that dogs also have less pain sensors then humans and when they are perfoming a spaying on a female dog they are able to cut between the stomach muscles unlike in a human where they cut across the stomach muscles.

Maybe the pain factor is different in larger sized dogs then pugs. :D

What's the point of keeping them overnight when they aren't being watched anyway, whereas at home you can?

If it's a vet hospital there is generally someone there overnight to keep an eye on things, but yes, a bit redundant if no-one is there anyway.

Gypsy was given a pain killer injection half an hour before I picked her up. She was still pretty groggy but didn't have any vomiting.

Is there a 24hr place you can call and just see what they say?

Mine have always had a pain killing injection when they are done. I would be very reluctant to give extra pain killers without first making sure this isn't the case. I would worry more about the vomiting as this is something I haven't seen in any of my dogs after a GA.

With one dog I had to continue with pain killers for the next few days - she has a zero pain tolerance but the rest have been fine the next day.

Yes.

With Axle I chose every extra possible EXCEPT overnight and I regret it. Gizmo I asked the vet what he would do for his dog if it was free, and I chose those options. He said a few of them have almost no benefit and are wank factor.

Which part of Axle's neuter do you regret? Not leaving him there overnight or electing to have him on antibiotics and pain relief. Not sure from you post which is the area of your regret.

A neuter is way less invasive than a spey so I presume you are speaking about neutering boys, whereas the OP is speaking of her bitch who is post spey and evidently is not feeling too well.

Which options do you and your vet think are wank factor? The antibiotics to prevent infection or the pain relief needed for major abdominal surgery on a bitch?

I don't leave my girls or boys at the vets overnight after desexing. There's no one there at night anyway so they're better off at home with me where I can keep an eye on them. My vet gives pain relief after surgery and antibiotics. Wanky or not, I choose to have my dogs on both.

Yes.

A neuter is way less invasive than a spey so I presume you are speaking about neutering boys, whereas the OP is speaking of her bitch who is post spey and evidently is not feeling too well.

From memory Axle had a retained testis so similar operation to spaying. The Warden (can't get used to thet name) can verify.