Goodbye Rosie

petpiggy

Rosie I still remember seeing your photo on the local pounds website and I couldn't believe that a sweet old lady like you would find yourself at such a place at your age.

I thought for sure somebody would come and claim you, but you remained there for the 8 days and you were out of time.

Something in your photo touched me and I couldn't bear the thought of you dying all alone, so I contacted my friend the ranger and instead of him taking you to the vet he brought you to my house.

When Neil took you out of the van I was shocked at your poor condition. I knew from your photo that you were old, but I had no idea that you had been allowed to get in such bad condition.

Most of the hair on your back was missing, and I could tell from your toughened skin that your allergy had been allowed to continue untreated for years.

You constantly chewed and scratched yourself until you bled.

You had lost your spirit and I thought you might live for a month or two, but I was determined that you would be shown love and be comfortable for whatever time you had left.

Months passed quickly and you amazed us all with your improvement. Your hair was growing back and you gained weight.

It was funny because you never once showed any signs of aggression towards me, dad (my husband Mick) or the girls.

But you hated everyone else and we had to warn all visitors to not touch you or you would bite!

Everyone who met you has told us that you knew that we saved you and you were protecting us to say thanks.

Time passed and it is now 2 1/2 years since you arrived.

Over the last few months we have noticed that you aren't your usual self.

Sadly your body and mind are failing you more and more.

My heart broke as I made your final appointment with the vet.

But please know my sweet 'ol Rosie that I don't want to see you suffer anymore.

You will always live in our hearts.

Love you always you sweet old chook.

Mum, Dad, Caitlyn & Teagan

post-5427-1213171849_thumb.jpg

post-5427-1213171954_thumb.jpg

RIP beautiful Rosie. :)

It is wonderful that you saved an oldie. They pull at your heartstrings dont they?

She obviously adored you and flourished in your love and care for her.

The last trip to the vet is indescribable and absolutely heartbreaking. The last selfless act you can do for a dog you love so much. She loves and thanks you for doing it. She would have known how hard it was for you to do.

Sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you for I know the pain you are feeling.

Petpiggy, so sorry for your loss of Rosie. ;) So lovely that she lived her last few years being loved so much, and loving you and your family. I know that last day with an oldie, so very hard. I hope you and your family are okay, and I hope that soon you will look back with a smile when thinking of dear Rosie. They leave such a huge gap.

RIP Rosie, gorgeous little lady. :)

:) to you and your family.

RIP Rosie. She obviously lived out her last years in comfort - it would have restored her faith in humans. I take my hat off to you for loving her for the last 2.5 years. It must be terribly painful but you gave her a dignified life and a dignified death.

Thank you all so much for your lovely and kind words.

My daughter and I planted a lovely rose and some other plants on Rosie's grave today and I am going to get a plaque made as well.

The whole family miss her so much, but I know the time was right for her to go to the :thumbsup: