Trialling With A Lame Dog?

One of my dogs, who trials in Novice, broke her front leg a few months ago. Its healed up really well and she hoons around just fine! Because it was splinted for quite awhile, she lost a lot of muscle in her shoulder and being quite a lazy dog, is still building that up to its normal level. When she gets tired, she does limp a little bit - not bad, but most dog people would notice. It doesn't bother her and my vet is very pleased with her.

I'm keen to enter her in the upcoming Geelong trials, but I'm not sure on the rules. What would happen if she was limping a bit?

Thanks in advance

I think that if you got a letter from your vet explaining the situation and passing her a fit to compete. Then you could show it to the trial organiser and metion it to the judge when you went in the ring and ask if he wishes to see it too. Or maybe to the judge before your class starts.

I know that this is what we do for Flyball when there is bandages or something a bit out of the ordanry

I agree with LilBailey, check with your vet.

If the Vet gives the OK then go for it.

If you do enter see you there.

Gambit will be in the Novice ring. I haven't decided what trial to enter him in yet but I will be there for the two days running around from here to there, checking on the stewards etc.

I am sure the Judge is meant to ask lame dogs to leave the ring, you could try your luck showing a letter from the vet to explain why.

I wouldn't enter a lame dog, IMO it looks bad. People that see you and your dog will wonder why you are trialling and you don't want to spend the day explaining yourself, trialling is stressful enough. :thumbsup:

I dunno I know somebody here who was trialling a dog who was very obviously lame after cruciate surgery (not immediately after but not the length of time I would have rested a dog for) and the judge let the dog continue around and in fact the dog passed.

The rule book actually says the judge:

"must exclude from competition any dog, which the judges considers unfit or physically unable to compete."

So it's one of those at the judges discretion things however there are dogs going around with problems who are perfectly healthy but require a vets letter to compete. My girl keeps coming up lame too so we've had to scratch from two trials this year. Just one of those things. I was in the same position as you with my old girl but she ended up with one leg longer than the other so her lameness was obvious even at a walk. She wasn't trialled for that reason, though she too was perfectly happy.

Edited by Natsu chan

Okay, is this something she is stuck with permanently? Maybe better to wait until she loses the limp and do some physio if not. BUT if she is fine, if I were you I'd just get a vet letter and explain the situation if you are questioned you can produce the letter. Maybe your vet feels she now needs to work to build up the muscles? I'd just get a letter if she is okay.

Do you have access to a pool as swimming would help.

I would like a $1 for all the lame agility dogs trialling. Unfortunately lameness is uaully harder to pick when they are running compared to walking.

I have seen a judge in WA ask a dog to leave the ring because they were lame.

She swims in the dam here and it is improving as her muscle tone increases but I have no idea if it will be a permanent thing or not. She's 7, and although thats not old, I'd like to get her out there and titled :cheer:

I'll speak to my vet about getting a letter and perhaps just enter one trial, one day and see how she handles it.

Thanks for all the replies