Jumping On The Furniture

♪♫LMBC♫♪

Our 15 week old puppy keeps getting onto the furniture. I have tried everything I can think of to stop him but he keeps doing it. The biggest problem is climbing onto the dining table, but he also gets onto the lounge and he tries to get on the bed but he's not quite big enough yet :)

I think he knows he isn't meant to be up there because as soon as I catch him he gets down. He also gets down on command, but the problem really is him getting up in the first place.

He also steals things, we try to keep everything out of his reach but its hard when he's getting onto and into everything. And the problem is, he knows when he has something he's not supposed to have, that I'm going to try to get it off him. So he runs. I don't want to chase him because then he will think its a game, but I don't know what else to do.

I shouldn't complain too much though because apart from those two problems, he is pretty well behaved :D

Ok now a serious response - hmmm Kenzie does the running when she has something she shouldn't have. What I try and do is either trade her. So I'll call her to me (or run in the opposite direction) or offer her something with she is allowed. Sometimes food. Sometimes a game of tug (which she prefers more than food). Not sure about the jumping on furniture as we don't have that problem. She is either tired from her walks/training or outside running. I guess maybe you need to supervise him so he can't jump on the furniture. Kenzie is either in her pen or on a dog bed near where the computer is (in the same room as me) if she isn't being that closesly supervised or outside (although she has the dog door to come in when she wants). Interesting the few OMG moments where I have suddenly discovered she hasn't been supervised closely and I have lost her in the house she has either taken herself in the play pen to play with her toys, on the dog bed in my room again playing with toys or downstairs curled up sleeping somewhere.

Yep second the Trade suggestion.

When Kyzer was little and would steal things I would swap him a treat for whatever he had and say "drop it", eventually faded the treats and now I say "drop it" and he will spit whatever he has out pronto. He just grew out of taking things, I guess the novelty wore off :)

I have tried everything I can think of to stop him but he keeps doing it.

Ok- here are some more things :) none come with guarantees- only suggestions....

when he is inside with you- keep him on a leash attached to your waist! This way he learns to stay close and not jump :D

Get him a pen/crate, and leave him in there if he is not actually with you.

Confine him to one room - wherever you are- so you can IMMEDIATELY correct him if he thinks about jumping/stealing

Make sure he is walked twice a day- on leash, learning to be at heel/behind you, and walking at your pace.

this will maybe use up some of the energy needed for getting up to mischief.

Provide him with a couple of interactive toys- things he needs to think about- a kong stuffed with his dinner- plus a chicken wing wedged in , or a plastic drink bottle. add a couple of handfuls of dry bikkies ,or some liver treats... and let him chase it around, trying to retrieve the food.

Practice the basic obedience/manners every day-only 10 minutes will be valuable .

Include the command "jump','up' or whatever...onto a platform or something humans don't use. This way he learns to jump on command--- then teach him "no"- :)

The most important thing- set him up to SUCCEED!!

Edited by persephone

I heard somewhere that temporarily laying bubble-wrap on the sofa deters dogs.

Also make his own comfortable bed spot. And it's only on this bed that he gets all the things he likes....toys, treats, hugs etc. So he gets the message that the best place to be is on his bed spot because it makes good things happen.

Anymore suggestions to stop puppy jumping up on the couch and coffee table.

At the moment she's too small to actually get up on the furniture but I'd like to stop this behavior by the time she can. (Which at the rate she's growing wont be too far off!)