Waterproof Coats - Any Recommendations?

Advice needed please.......

My OH has a 14 year old malamute that lives with his mum (when my OH moved in with me, his mum said OH could leave but the dog was staying!!!!!!). The boy is getting very old and I think he's getting a bit senile, because he has taken to lying out in the rain when he's out during the day instead of going into his kennel or under the sheltered areas of the yard. The boy is inside at night, and when it rains if he's outside during the day my OH's mum tries to get him inside but she's not that mobile anymore and he often refuses to come in. This means he's outside and getting soaked.

We were wondering if putting a water proof coat on him when he goes outside (if it looks like it's going to rain) might help in keeping him dry? Or would he overheat, having the full fur coat? We just worry about him getting soaked through and it's not possible to have him inside all day everyday just in case it rains.......he has arthritis in his back legs and is currently on cartrophin injections which are helping but getting soaked through can't be good for keeping his stiffness under control.......

Any advice would be much appreciated, and if a coat is a good idea, we'd appreciate any brand recommendations.

Thanks!!!! :D

We have the weatherbeeta landas, and they are great. They can run riot through the trees and shrubs at mums when we got to visit and are yet to damage them

They are very sturdy looking :D Pele hasn't gone swimming in her Weatherbeeta Landa at the beach yet :o I know that it will happen :D I've told her that it's not a wetsuit :)

Jessie (at the "Bridge") had a Drizabone (too small for Pele) which ended up going for a swim :laugh: Only thing that I didn't like about the Drizabone was that you have to "waterproof" it again if you wash it and it was quite time consuming rubbing all the waterproofer in :eek: It is much lighter than the Weatherbeeta tho'.

We havea good range of seniles here & they all have weathabeetas for outside toilets & wondering & when fine there alternative wear.

The oilskins seem to be so heavy & stink when damp & not very soft & moulding & hard to wash/dry/

For us we want waterproof for those occasions yet easy to wash/dry

The weatherbeeta's unfortunately don't stay completely dry when they are out in the rain. I contacted weatherbeeta about this and they said that yes, the water will seep through, but the rugs are designed in a way that the body heat from the dog will eventually dry the inner lining again. Orbit was outside in the rain in his one day for no more than 5min and when I took it off, the lining was quite wet at the topline seam as well as at the seams of the binding all around the edges.

I use Thermomaster coats as I like the way they fit and also the 2 srpas under them to keep them secure. I have left the dogs outside in them all day on very wet days and not had issues with them being wet or even damp underneath.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback - I'll do some follow up research on the suggested brands and take it from there. Much appreciated!!!!! :thumbsup:

By the way Midol, yes he does like lying out in the rain!!!! But now that he's got fairly bad arthritis in his back legs we've noticed that it gets worse if he's been out getting soaked, and we don't want to coop him up inside all day. He also has a lot of 'senior moments' and just forgets who he is, where he is and what he was doing......only to be expected at his age I guess!!!

I personally don't like the Weatherbeetas as they're open on a dog's tummy. I bought a coat for my old girl from here:

http://www.zentekclothing.com/

A bit pricey but the best coats ever! They keep warm in winter and cool in summer as they're thermoregulating! They also offer free alterations if needed. Super friendly service and theat coat keeps the dog really dry! Hera loves it so much, she doesn't want to take it of anymore!

post-18186-1217291497_thumb.jpg