Embarrassed To Ask...

Um, when a male dog is desexed, what should be left? LOL

I ask because my dog was desexed on tuesday when I get a glimpse of that region,

it looks like hes still got a ball? Do they leave the outer skin to shrink LOL, I thought it was all chopped off!

Im not game to ring the vet over this question!!

Do they leave the outer skin to shrink LOL, I thought it was all chopped off!

They do, and don't worry, you are not alone; I have had a dog desexed in the past and they removed his testicles from the scrotum & the excess skin. The next boy I had desexed I was mortified! :) As the stitches were in FRONT of the scrotum, up the shaft sort of, and his scrotum was all hangy & swollen. Depending on your boys age, It should all shrink into place :)

:)

The scrotum often fills up with fluid while healing takes place .... that's all you are seeing.

Unless the swelling increases, or the wound is leaky- don't panic.

Oh, and...

Im not game to ring the vet over this question!!

Well, I bet the vet would not mind at all!!

a) it shows you actually HAVE checked the wound site- which should be done at least once a day...

and

b)If there was a haemorrhage- the vet would want to see the dog back there pronto!!

and

c) there are HEAPS of people all worrying about the same thing, every day!! :)

Edited by persephone

We often twist wrap the newly empty scrotum with vet wrap, if the owner is dog savvy & the dog easy to handle, the vet wrap is removed in the evening of the day's surgery. The scrotum is barely swollen & shrivels much more quickly.

Over the years, I've occasionaly had an anxious owner return with the dog the next day saying that we 'didn't take them out' !! some dogs swell more than others.

fifi

I think we need a sticky for this topic.

'My dog got desexed today and it looks like they missed one!' :thanks:

Mel.

I agree, a sticky is needed!

I've been through the same thing with foster dog Tommy - he was so swollen and bruised, I really thought the vet might have got it wrong!

I might write something for Troy on Sunday if I get a chance. :cheer:

You'd be surprised how many times we get that question at the clinic.

That's a really good idea fifi! I've never worked anywhere that they've done that. Might give it a go for the next big dog. :thanks:

Mel.

A very common (and understandable) question - you're not alone! :cheer:

In fact we just had one of our own boys desexed yesterday, and he is experiencing a bit of swelling at the moment. If it weren't for the fact that I was right there in the theatre and witnessed the two testicles being removed, I too would probably be wondering if something had been left behind :thanks:

Oh and just as a side note - there is actually a procedure (scrotal ablation) which involves surgical removal of the entire scrotal sack after castration. We did one just recently on an older male Great Dane.