My Labrador Is Picky On Food..

vision

Hi all,

my labrador, Cookie, is way too thin and he doesn't want eat much lately.

i usually fed him Hill's Science diet (3 cups) + cooked carrot and "my dog" can food a day.

But i'm trying to ditch "my dog" as it's not recommended by my Vet. So, now i only feed him dry food and occasionally raw carrot.

He always leave his food until the next day..i assume when he's hungry..and i'm worry that he will continue losing weight.

Can anyone please suggest something?

Many thanks.

Are you sure he's a Lab? :laugh:

Sorry, back to the questions.

How old is Cookie? Have you taken him to the vet for a general wellness check. Sometimes things like sore teeth or illness can really impact on appetite. I'd be ruling those out before tackling diet.

What does Cookie think of food like roast chicken, cheese etc? Is he fussy or off ALL food?

Adding to the others - what is your feeding regime? Do you leave the food out all the time or have set feeding times? How often a day are you feeding Cookie?

If you want to stick to dry food but want to change, there are several good brands you could try.

Don't leave the food out... if Cookie doesn't eat it within a certain time, take it away. He'll soon learn that if he doesn't eat, he'll go hungry.

I also agree with taking him to the vet for a checkup, if he is losing weight and not wanting to eat.

How about you try instead of the canned food just adding a large handful of raw pet mince and mix it through the dry food. Each day I also give mine either a chicken wing or a raw meaty bone. Once or twice a week I give them a can of sardines in oil as well.

My labs get about 1 to 1.5 cups of dry along with the raw and they are all a nice healthy weight.

Assuming your dog is otherwise healthy try changing the dry food, a lot of dogs dislike Hills and personally I wouldn't feed it, try Royal Canin, Eagle Pack Holistic or Orijen. Raw carrot is ok as an occasional treat if he likes it, but dogs have difficulty breaking down cellulose so it's of little nutritional value. I would also feed some meat and bones, raw chicken or beef mince, raw chicken wings and frames and brisket bones. Some cooked liver twice a week, the occasional raw egg and a can of sardines or mackerel would also be beneficial. Most canned foods are a waste of money, dogs like the taste of it, but generally the ingredients aren't the best and you are also paying for a lot of water.

I wouldn't take much notice of your vet's recommendations, many vets have only a basic knowledge of nutrition and tend to recommend what they sell.

Edited by Miranda

Thanks for the reply.

Honestly, i don't know whether he's a pure breed Lab or not..bought it from pet store in Victoria Market (melb) :D

Cookie is 4 yo. i have to get him to do some checkup sometime next month..bit late, it's supposed to be May.. :laugh:

I cooked him chicken breast once, he loved it and finished his food (inc. dry food) straight away. The thing is, my friend suggested not to feed him meat or a like, otherwise he won't eat the dry food if it doesn't come with meats.

i always leave the food out all the time..unless he finishes his food, i won't re-fill his bowl. 3 cups usually.

What other brand can you guys recommend? i just bought the 18kg hills ;(

cheers..

i'm bit scared to give him bones, last time he swallowed a big chunk of bone (those treat bones where you can buy it from the pet store) and cramped for 10-15 minutes..

i'm going to start the 20 minutes meal time starting tomorrow.

i realy need bring him to vet sometime soon...i just hate it when he went berserk seeing other dogs.

edit: i reckond he's a mix Lab.. ;\

Edited by vision

i'm bit scared to give him bones, last time he swallowed a big chunk of bone (those treat bones where you can buy it from the pet store) and cramped for 10-15 minutes..

Don't buy them, buy fresh bones from a butcher, beef brisket bones aren't too hard and dogs love them.

If you are willing to pay the price of Hills...then try the Royal Canin Labrador dry food :laugh: You can get a 3/4kg bag to try or just get a big one and if your dog doesn't eat it...take it back with your receipt - mind you check first with the store that they do the palatability guarentee...most do tho :D

IF you still have your receipt for the Hills give the store you bought it from a call and see if you can take it back...Hills usually supports the palatability guarentee...however i'm not sure all stores do if that makes sense.

I know many lab's have lost way too much weight on Royal Canin, personally I wouldn't be too fussed with the brand as long as it's premium quality (that includes Hills and I have fed it very successfully in the past!), try the training change with set meal times and you could try adding little bits of things to his food occasionally, like chicken pieces, mince etc. Also a hungry dog eats! Perhaps a good walk before meal times!

Get him fresh bones, chicken necks, chicken carcusses, sardines.

Dry food is not a good thing to feed dogs and those dryed treat things are even worse.

If he doesn't eat the fresh food I seriously would be taking him to the vets to check for cancer etc.

What is wrong with dry food?? All my dogs (and cat) eat Royal Canin, and no one has a problem or underweight.

I would be putting the dog on a premium dry like Royal Canin medium breed adult, Eagle Pack, or Nutrience. Add chicken carcasses, lamb flaps, lamb necks, ox tail to the diet say when you go to work every day for the dog to chew on. I would be feeding dry twice a day.

Edited by Nekhbet