How Do You Get Your Dog To Stand Still While You Brush?

Oh I know far too well that problem. I groom my sib husk pup every day because there is so much fur everywhere so reduce it by grooming daily sometimes up to an hour if it's alot. But the routine is get slicker brush out and I say 'BRUSH' she stands to attention and comes to me, knowing what she's in for.

Usually starts off in a heel position then becomes lazy and sits then even more lazy lays down with belly down. Gives me great coverage on top, head, neck, tail etc. Then I move it down and she likes to have her belly brushed so she positions herself and it just moves around like that.

Try telling her to 'HEEL' or 'SIT' then once she does sternly tell her 'STAY' and do it gently allowing a massage kind of feel and tell her to stay and pat her and praise with other hand. I usually hold her head gently if I want to brush the tuffs around her neck and praise her, sometimes with treats like cheese or something she likes. Calms her down. I find she doesn't hate it because she rolls over for me to brush her under sides but sometimes will try and sneak off to my husband who is watching. I always groom sitting on the floor and work throught a slicker brush, deshedding comb then lastly if I can be bothered the comb.

Good luck and just find what suits you, as my SH is a medium sized dog I can't put her on the dinning table and we don't have a coffee table either, treat and reward her if she stays still for you.

I got a grooming table from the begining as I knew I would be brushing Mistral very often. It was harder in the begining as he liked to wiggle around a lot but we sorted that out. He was taught stand and stay before anything else. I would quickly do his legs, chest and stomach then get him to lay down and finish up the rest. It works well for us. Be calm and consistant, I treated him for his good behaviour but no longer do so as he knows if he is good he will get a treat at the end. Every time I pull the grooming table out Mist comes running and cant wait to get up :)

I wish that was my only problem!! Lili just wants to eat the brush!

Shes 13 weeks and has learnt sit, stay and drop but try and brush her??!

At the moment its impossible but were starting puppy kindergarten this weekend and I'm hoping to get some help there!

Good luck!

I wish that was my only problem!! Lili just wants to eat the brush!

Shes 13 weeks and has learnt sit, stay and drop but try and brush her??!

At the moment its impossible but were starting puppy kindergarten this weekend and I'm hoping to get some help there!

Good luck!

A good trick if your pup is chewing the brush...is to stick something in their mouth. Henschke was driving me nuts trying to eat the brush, so I put a beef hide in his mouth and he was quite happy to chew on that while he got brushed. Once brushing finished, I took the beef hide away. (He gets so many things to chew taking this one away isn't a concern.)

You could try putting a dollop of peanut butter on the fridge door (It'll wipe off) so pup is occupied licking that while grooming :thumbsup: At the same time telling her to "stand" and praising. Once she gets the hang of that then just treating as you groom.

The more bribes you give the longer it will take.You will make life much harder when you suddenly realize the dog isnt listening too you because the bribe has taken away from the learning experience.

if it tries to bite the brush a simple "No" & continue,if it tries again a firm "no"

My current bub (5months) stands for an hour to be blow dried for shows quite happily because pup nows what i expect & then they dont become confused.

Grooming is about making it simple not harder

Thanks guys, I brushed her last night and just held a liver treat in my hand as I did it. She was occupied with trying to get it from my hand and didn't care less that I was brushing her!!

Ultimately of course I want to be able to brush her without having to do this, but at this point she wasn't listening when I said No, she was just so focused on eating the brush I couldn't even start.

At least with the treat I can keep her attention long enough to praise her for staying still and hopefully I can slowly remove the treat from the equation, either way great idea and I'll see how I go!

:thumbsup:

get tough on them and let them know that their behaviour will not be tolerated. I agree with settrlvr bribing them is not allowing them to learn what is acceptable.. in fact it is almost like they will learn that hte more they play up, the quicker they will get the "treat"...

get tough on them and let them know that their behaviour will not be tolerated. I agree with settrlvr bribing them is not allowing them to learn what is acceptable.. in fact it is almost like they will learn that hte more they play up, the quicker they will get the "treat"...

As above, no treats, be firm and just do it.

ETA definitely groom on a table, if you have a long coated dog that will require regular prolonged grooming it's a good idea to invest in a grooming table, one with an arm if necessary.

Edited by Miranda

I know you guys are right, I just don't know what to do.

Can anyone give any tips?

The only problem we are having with Lili (14 weeks) is mouthing and this is extended to the brush when trying to groom her.

We have tried the yelp, ignoring her and walking away, substituting with a chew toy and nothing is seeming to work. The problem is when I try to brush her she squiggles and wriggles and launches at the brush so much I cannot physically keep her still.

Ive tried putting her in time out and she does come back in calmer but as soon as she sees the brush again its on!

Any advice..pleeease?? :):confused: :confused:

Am I the only one who growls at my dogs if they are not doing what I want? Maybe I've been hanging around them too long :) but they sure understand when I am not happy. If they are not standing still I grab them firmly with a grumble and put them where I want them. When they stand still they are rewarded with sweet talk. I never have trouble with bathing or grooming, though it is a pretty rare event here. I know alot of shar pei pet owners have trouble bathing/grooming, as pei really do not like to be held down at all, but mine are all perfectly behaved and know what is expected.

Your pup should not have the opportunity to back away, as you should be holding on to her until she knows what is expected.

When mother dogs are unimpressed with their pups they will growl quietly and deeply and grab hold of the puppy firmly. The puppy understands this and usually stops the undesirable behaviour. Mother lets go and all is forgiven and forgotton.

Edited by badboyz

Isn't it amazing how many people bring their dog in with a packet of treats and expect you to bribe them the whole time you are grooming?!? OK, I am holding the dog with one hand, the treat with the other hand........how the hell do I hold the clippers? I just say no, if I need to I will growl at the dog. One deep baaaah and they stop pretty damn quick.

Make the professional groomers life a little easier people, you say you won't be taking the dog to a groomer but then comes the day when the dog is 4 or more and you suddenly can't cope with the coat and take it to a groomer. Oh what joy what joy, NOT.

Teach your dog some manners PLEEEEAAAAASE.

Kivi Tarro bites the brush and my hand a lot during grooming. I forgive him because he's a puppy and doesn't really know how to restrain himself, but I've found shoving a favourite toy in his mouth to chew does a pretty good job of distracting him. Some days he's being really obnoxious and biting way too hard and won't be distracted so I walk away and try again later. It's not worth getting frustrated over and he likes the attention enough that he would rather it continue. When he's trying we compromise. If he gives me a little while brushing without trying to bite me, I let him have a chew of the brush and my hand for a few moments. If he's being good and plalying along, it usually means he's in a receptive mood and if he tries to bite me I gruff at him to tell him I don't like it. I don't have a grooming table and I'm not planning on getting one. When KT sees the brush he knows what we're about. It's just a matter of whether he's in crazy puppy mode or cooperative puppy mode. He gets brushed regardless because we're brushing twice a day at the moment, but if he's being crazy I will resort to treats if the toy isn't working. Treats always work, just really need another hand.

"Some days he's being really obnoxious and biting way too hard and won't be distracted so I walk away and try again later."

Dog has won the battle & then has little respect for the human or this aspect.

Yes there pups BUT they grow up very quickly & then suddenly the bad habits at 6 mths are no fun,12 moths hits & the owners are desperate.

Like Celidah this is the story of our life.

We groom dogs that owners have given up on,allowed to get into such a state that there clip offs because little fifi or fido wont stand still or worse still there feral piranhas .

They will stand still when your firm but fair.

Briberys are usually given for all behaviours because the owners feed them & they dont understand the right from the wrong.Just that being a goose gets rewards

To be honest getting another family member to hold still is a better option.

Pups arent silly & yes there attention span can be short BUT owners make more excuses for this than is needed.Pups will wiggle BUT a good firm no & get on with it.

With our pups we dont piss fart about .At 8 weeks they have there first full groom.

• 4 months later...

I started this thread back in August.

Since then, I have continued to brush Izzy and also have another puppy.

Izzy is easy to brush now. She doesn't really like it but tolerates it. She still sits when I brush her but when I want to brush her tail and her trousers, I tell her to stand and just put my hand under her belly.

With Ollie (who is nearly 7 months now), he is much easier. You're always better with your second. I have brushed and brushed him since we got him and he likes it :thumbsup: although wasn't fussed in the beginning, he will now just lay there and roll over for me.

With time, patience and regular routine brushing, they get better is all I can say. They do grow up...eventually...even though sometimes it doesn't seem like they ever will :cry: