Washing Dogs (can It Be Too Often)

ClareL

I would be reluctant to use shampoo often, but I don't think rinses with water would do damage.

Shampoo strips hair (dog and human!) of natural oils which makes it produce more oils to compensate. So shampoo can create a cyclic problem with grease and smell.

For example, I wash my hair about once every two months. It doesn't get 'greasy' in the first month because its not used to me stripping it of oils daily or weekly, as some people do.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a weekly washer too. I use a gentle, 100% natural dog soap that doesn't strip the oils in her coat, with a ACV rinse. It sits so well compared to other shampoos I've used that leave her coat fluffy and dry. The neem oil in it helps with fleas too. I use the face/body soaps and shampoo bars from the same company and it's the only one that doesn't leave my sensitive skin dry and itchy.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the little one gets smelly because the slobber makes him wet and they roll in the grass, plus all his hair clumps together. We have only had him just over a month but he came from a rescue and had his hair all cut off because it got matted so i really dont want him to have to go through that again. I think we will wash him weekly and just keep an eye on him make sure his coat stays nice.

Thanks for all the advice

I wash Smooch at least twice a week in summer and once in winter. If it is wet weather he could be bathed everyday. He sleeps in my bed and as we are on property with cow and horse poo and mud he has to be done daily. I use a shampoo probably once a week and only wash in conditioner the other times. It gets rid of the smell and dirt and doesn't dry the hair out. Smooch is a Kelpie with a thin coat.

• 2 months later...

washing dogs more than once a week WILL damage their coat. it strips all the oils from the coat which gives them the "dandruff". It can cause skin irritation and you will find your dog will scratch alot more and possibly be more prone to getting ear infections (from getting water in its ears). It is best to wash your dog as less as possible. and always ensure you are using a good quality DOG shampoo, NOT human shampoo, as human shampoo is the wrong pH balance for dogs and will also ruin the coat and give the dog bad skin conditions. if you do decide to wash your dog more often (still not more than once a week), try putting a little bit of a sensitive shampoo mixed in with your normal dog shampoo (like epi-soothe or ruddoks sensitive shampoo i find smell nice and do a really good job). dont use malaseb for this purpose as this is a very strong shampoo for fungal skin conditions.

washing dogs more than once a week WILL damage their coat. it strips all the oils from the coat which gives them the "dandruff". It can cause skin irritation and you will find your dog will scratch alot more and possibly be more prone to getting ear infections (from getting water in its ears). It is best to wash your dog as less as possible. and always ensure you are using a good quality DOG shampoo, NOT human shampoo, as human shampoo is the wrong pH balance for dogs and will also ruin the coat and give the dog bad skin conditions. if you do decide to wash your dog more often (still not more than once a week), try putting a little bit of a sensitive shampoo mixed in with your normal dog shampoo (like epi-soothe or ruddoks sensitive shampoo i find smell nice and do a really good job). dont use malaseb for this purpose as this is a very strong shampoo for fungal skin conditions.

Mine are pee feathered washed nightly,bathed fully 2-3 times a week & done in human shampoo,have done so for over 20 years with no issues.

The dogs we see with skin issues are the ones not bathed regulary & not brushed out.

8 years & maintance bathed every week plus show baths every week for that time in human shampoo plus others done over the yars

Um skin issues i think not

Edited by settrlvr

I bathe ours here when needed, usually monthly - mostly because they've rolled in something stinky. Mud just brushes out off my two when dry due to their lovely short coats, so they really don't need washing that often. And they don't get a doggy smell.

I use Aloveen on my two, brilliant stuff and leaves a really long lasting scent on the coat. My previous dog (a X breed with a longish double coat) got washed weekly-fortnightly simply because I felt he required it. He always had a stunning glossy coat and never any skin problems.

Patch only needs a bath once a month or so, Oscar tends to get done once every couple of weeks. Eventually Lilly will probably be done once a month too but we are still getting her skin right since she arrived with us so she is getting moisturising baths every couple of weeks.

My girls get washed once a week. I use the hydro bath glacier ice wash which is made so you dont have to rinse it out. They all have beautiful coats and good skin, never ever had a problem with skin issues. Also i dont put the water on their head so water does not get into their ears. The only ear issues i have had is today with my girl with a grass seed in her ear so shes at work withe me now waking up from her GA. Poor baby got such sore ears :laugh:

So yeh basically what everyones saying -buy a good shampoo and you can wash once a week. Dont buy supermarket (well whoever buys animal products from supermarkets shouldnt have pets anyway that stuff is just crap! hehe) brand. Vets can order in good shampoo, i order mine through work. If you have a hydrobath, glacier wash is really good. Smells beautiful!

Good god, talk about some old wives tales.

You can bath your dog when ever you like. What do you think the show people do with their coated breeds.

I bath Whippets sometimes twice a weekend when I find them stained by the earth from some show grounds.

Just use top quality dog or human shampoo's and conditioner.

The dog will be fine and possibly better for the washing.

I probably only wash my dogs(Staffords) four times a year maybe. I don't find they get dirty or smelly. They do swim most days though. I'm going to wash them tomorrow because it's going to be 35 degrees. I think I've only washed them once since last summer.

Any one who washes their dogs weekly concerned about the drought?

I feel guilty as it is washing dogs every day, my own are lucky to get in the tub once a month.

Regular brushing keeps them clean enough without having to wash them.

I would hate to think of how much water is wasted washing dogs weekly.

I understand show dogs being washed regularly, however I have seen many not so clean dogs in the ring, when water is such a precious necessity it seems a horrible waste washing dogs every week just because they might smell. Brushing and a little squirt of doggy cologne will do a good job and save water too. :)

Don't know if other areas have the same water shortage as Melbourne.

Any one who washes their dogs weekly concerned about the drought?

I feel guilty as it is washing dogs every day, my own are lucky to get in the tub once a month.

Regular brushing keeps them clean enough without having to wash them.

I would hate to think of how much water is wasted washing dogs weekly.

I understand show dogs being washed regularly, however I have seen many not so clean dogs in the ring, when water is such a precious necessity it seems a horrible waste washing dogs every week just because they might smell. Brushing and a little squirt of doggy cologne will do a good job and save water too. :)

Don't know if other areas have the same water shortage as Melbourne.

Well you'd be surprised! I live in a 2 person household and have been bathing 2 small fluffies for dogs shows pretty much weekly. Our household uses less than half that of our neighbourhood! Depending on how you do it, bathing a dog can be equivalent to 1 human shower, now think of all the people who take multiple showers a day! Bathing a couple of dogs once a week is not a huge amount of water.

The other option is to collect water and wash using rainwater. It's such a waste that so much good clean water goes down the drains!

With a hydrobath, you'd be lucky to use two buckets of water. I use the one at the car wash, I believe they use 100% recycled water in them. I wash my dogs weekly or fortnightly, depends on how much time I have. No guilt here and lovely clean dogs with good skin and coats.

Both my Cockers are mainly indoor dogs, and are bathed every week, regardless of whether we are showing or not. I use a good quality spray on conditioner after each bath, this helps to keep them tangle-free and also deters the dirt (except when I take them out to my sister's place on acres for an off lead run and they have a great time rolling in the cow sh#t). :rofl:

One of my girls develops a very strong "doggy odour" if she's not bathed each week.

I probably only wash my dogs(Staffords) four times a year maybe. I don't find they get dirty or smelly. They do swim most days though. I'm going to wash them tomorrow because it's going to be 35 degrees. I think I've only washed them once since last summer.

:) I think i must be the only one here that washes less than that :rofl: The amount of times i get asked what i wash my dogs in with the reply of i dont wash them i think they are lucky to be bathed once this year. We are also blessed with dams on our property so the guys get to swim an awful lot. The ONLY time i wash my dogs is if they have found something dead to roll in ewwww :shakehead: or fresh roo poo.

I am blessed with my dogs cleaning themselves like cats they are very good self groomers. And no my dogs neither smell nor look dirty. And water is a consideration where i am as we rely on tank water only. So mine are lucky to actually get a bath or 2 a year as a rule. Also having 5 i dont have time to be washing them every week.

:laugh: I think i must be the only one here that washes less than that :rofl:

Nope :) not the only one. Trim is nearly 5 & has had 2 baths in her life. I don't think Shine has ever had one and the boys have probably averaged 1 a year over their 11 years.

ETA...but we do have a rule about cow manure...anyone who rolls in it gets hosed, regardless of the temperature outside.

Edited by Vickie

The more often you bathe them the faster they get stinkier. ie a dog washed weekly will start getting stinky within weeks if not washed at its usual time, but a dog washed only every 6months hardly smells. It's better to let them go longer in between baths, but it's not doing any damage if you do wash frequently, so long as the skin and coat looks great, go for it!

I wash clients dogs weekly and my own get washed weekly too.

Another Aloveen fan aswell :rofl:

I find that with clients dogs too, the ones that only come in twice a year for a bath simply don't smell. It's the best thing for them IMO, to let their body do its thing. I just couldn't do it for my own :rofl: I love my doggies squeaky clean.