Photo Challenge 2, 19-25 September

Vickie

rocco - that's fab!! Selective colour actually works here, so well done! I love the black whites, too. #1 and #2 are rocking!

An aside, another way to get great grain is to shoot with the proper exposure and lowest ISO you can and then do the grain in LR or PS...that way you have a more versatile image :rofl:

BTW - can you explain "clipping path for colour"? I am such a Photoshop gumby...

Edited by kja

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks kja. I should of thought to do the grain in PS actually. Having a moment I must of been.

Clipping path. Select "new path" in your paths palette. Use your pen tool and trace around the part you want to isolate using points. Then you can select it in the paths palette when ever you need it.

I exported a B&W from Lightroom as well as a colour and put the colour on a layer with the B&W in Photoshop. Then draw a path, select, add a slight feather, and cut to reveal the colour. Does that make sense?

Edited by Rocco1

Ah yes, the "paths palette" and "points" with the pen tool - I'm sure I've seen that somewhere. I do know where the pen tool is, so that's a start. I really do need to learn to use PS one day...thanks for the tip, maybe I'll try to learn that for this week's challenge!

Ok I had a quick go tonight. Didn't get time to do the tap though.

Who picked the remote control :rofl: - I got annoyed taking these pictures as they were all average.

remote.jpg

"Biscuit"

biscuit.jpg

edit to add - how do i add the settings ?

Edited by wagsalot

Nice work everyone. I really like the remote pic Rocco- so cute!

Hope you dont mind if i join, my efforts are not very good... these are just the results from boredom today lol

Biscuits

Canon 40D. Tamron 90mm . No editing

f/11, ISO 400, 1/2 sec (tripod)

img_0518.jpg?t=1221906290

more...

img_0526.jpg?t=1221906910

and i couldn't resist... (f/6.4, 1/6 sec )

img_0533.jpg?t=1221906929

Remote

f/4, ISO 1000 (no light in the room and i couldn't hold my hand still enough for a longer exposure), 1/19 sec

img_0549.jpg?t=1221907033

Edited by t(AD)pole

Wow, sorry, I've been bad!

Wags - nice job! Love the gentle taking of the biscuit shot :thumbsup:

Ruthless - cool tap stuff...I had to resist dragging it into LR to play with black white and funky conversions. Very cool shots!

Abbey - love the crumbs from that cookie, nice thinking!

Tadpole - I love the biscuits with the china, great idea. And I like the self-portrait (?) with the remote! Again, I resist temptation for LR playing...I have work to do!

Alas, I have nothing yet ... again... I'll just live vicariously through you guys for a while more!

Edited by kja

Sheeeeet!!! You guys certainly know how to make something everyday look interesting! :thumbsup:

I have absolutely noooooo imagination when it comes to stuff like this, plus I couldnt take a photo to save myself :thumbsup:

Beautiful photos, thanks!

Keep 'em coming!

RG

On a walk with Roc we found a tap. It was tad tricky trying to hold the tap on, hold Rocco and take a picture.

Nikon D200

Lens 24-70

ISO1600 (this was mistake as I was in a rush as it was bloody hot and Roc was not happy)

58mm

F/20

1/6000

Light room for different tones.

DSC_0022-1.jpg

DSC_0017SM.jpg

DSC_0012-1.jpg

Was with a group of photographers the other night and the conversation turned to spot colouring and how much it is loathed in wedding photos... we have now officially called it 'bogan colouring' because you can be certain that bogans will always go, "wow! That looks awesome! How'd ya do that? Can you do that to my photos too?"

:)

Sorry Rocco, your photo just reminded me of the conversation. :rofl::(

(your sister is gorgeous btw) :rofl:

I thought pre-madonnas were only in my industry of work. I saw a wedding album recently that had a few pieces of slight "spot colouring" and they way it was done was impressive and everyone looked beautiful. But I will let them know that they must be bogans then. :love:

Selective colour is dangerous, but when it works, it works. Yours really worked - it looked HOT! Shame it doesn't always work...especially in weddings LOL

and I think it's "prima donna" not pre-madonna retro 80s LOL Sorry, I just had to read it a few times to figure it out! :love:

Edited by kja

I wasn't defending my work, but thanks anyway. :love: I just thought "bogan" call was a bit rough. Esp when you see how proud some people are of their wedding albums even if they are not very good. Not everyone can afford high end photographers to get that magazine look. Take it a little easy on them. :)

Ah yes "prima donna" I think I had idols 80 theme night on my brain....... who doesn't love the 80's and Madge....