German Shepherd Puppy Howling At Night

Paul Joanne and FIZZ

Hello to everyone,

My partner Joanne and I have recently got our first puppy a top litle german shepherd called FIZZ . . She was the smallest in her litter and full of beans and we fell in love with her.

She has been in our house now for 3 days and she cant half howl !!!

More so during the night - like last night she went for hours at a time . .

When we put her to bed she will howl fairly quietly to her self the nod off to sleep, the problem is when she wakes up on her own she goes crazy howling at the top of her voice for what seems like an eternity this will be broken up by what sounds like aggressive barking then she will howl again.

Everyone i speak to inclding the breeder says she must be left alone to get on with it and I agree . . untill its 3 am and im worried what the neighbours are thinking. .

And to add to the confusion, her toilet training record is impecable - she will not go in the house at all - she does everything outside which is amazing.

confusion because - we are trying to leave her to howl - but is she howling for a wee - she does wee 3 times per night , i lie awake trying to pick my moment of quiet to take her out for a wee . .only trouble is . . . i get no sleep !!

oh so many questions she is a bundle of joy and loves the garden - someone just tell me that there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

If she is that clean she may be howling to get out for a wee, does she start at about the same time each night? If so can you set an alarm for a time before that so you can take her out before she has to ask? I usually agree with not letting them out while making a noise to avoid reinforcing that behaviour, but it would be unfortunate if she is trying to tell you she needs to go.

Edited by Diva

Where is she sleeping currently??

If your using a crate personnally i would bring her to your bedroom,

When she starts sleeping through the nights & cans more confidience of the house & humans start to wean her to the desired area.

Whilst im a believer in not running to every howl a pup howling due to being overwhelmed & afraid isnt for me either.

For years with our pups new & old we have done it this way & they have settled easily within a few weeks & moved to there area.

We also advise our pup owners to use this method until pup is confidient & content with being alone

Couldn't she sleep with you? She's still a baby and for the first time in her short life is without her Mum and brothers and sisters. I'd howl and scream too if I was her :)

Everyone has their own way of doing things and the breeder may have recommended putting her seperate at night but it's certainly not going to 'damage' her in any way if she can sleep with her new 'pack'. You'll find she'll probably sleep the whole night through and even in to the morning.

she is only a baby and cannot hold onto her bladder for that long. She is probably distressed she has to wee and then sleep in it hence the howling and barking.

If she is in a crate in your room and wakes up, grab her and put her outside to pee. Call the breeder and ask as well as they may created the habits.

Sometimes little howls and woofs means NOW!

my little girl was the same, only she chewed the bed when we ignored her:)

eventually she learned that howling for a wee was hte only crying she could do, and eventually she learned to hold her bladder. she has recently started up again for some reason, but back on topic...

if its the same time, its needing a toilet.

i didnt have one, but i wish i did, crate training might be a good way to go.

and lastly.... where are the piccies :)

Daire slept in a crate in our room from teh night i bought him home

he SCREAMED for hours the first night

A little less the second

A little less again on teh third

The fourth he didnt cry at all except to go to the loo

It can be the change from having mum and the other litter mates around

I would have a crate in your room, toilet the pup before you go to bed, get up every couple of hours for a few nights to do the same then extend the time.

I also ignored Daire when he was screaming, when i took him out to the loo, he got minimal words except his toileting ones, he got praised once he went then put back in his crate.

THe more attention they get the more they will do it also as it has paid off - they scream they get attention.

It is hard, but maybe explain to your neighbours you haev a new pup that is settling in and it may be noisy for a few nights.

Good luck

However - i now have some more questions - sorry

How much excercise is to much and how much and when should i be given her alone time during the day . .I tried an hour and a half of alone time this morning - she was out in the garden and was ok for about 20 mins then she went nuts . . dragging a plant pot around and barking like mad . . ive just brought her back in and out her in her crate and she was asleep in seconds . .

why would she not sleep outside - Cold? Scared ?

she wont sleep outside because she is a baby and outside = not being with pack. Thats a freak out!

why have a dog if you wont have it part of a pack. Crated inside at nigh prevents accidents and mischief, plus the dogs have their own 'bedroom' so will be comfortable and quiet.

awwww, so sweet. looks like mischief, like my little girl did. she pulled up over half my garden, while i set ground rules with her.

i agree wtih Nekhbet, she needs to be part o the pack, will also help you teach ehr right from wring, and wrong is pulling plants around.

i taught my girl very quickly not to bark and cry if i left her outside, and now she doesnt care. but you have to teach her that barking and crying is not a way to get attention, and that pulling plants is a bad attention. sounds barmy, but i told the plant off, and she learned plants were evil. :laugh:

as for excerisse, she is still a tiny tiny baby, so too much excersise is when she has had absolutly enough, and is getting unhappy.

i stopped my girl after she started getting really panty, and taught her "settle" which comes in handy when we have company now.

Hi everyone ,

some great advice here thank you . .

Last night was perfect - up 3 times for a wee and no howling - like a different dog over night :laugh:

some pics attached

Great what a cutie!!!

However - i now have some more questions - sorry

How much excercise is to much and how much and when should i be given her alone time during the day . .I tried an hour and a half of alone time this morning - she was out in the garden and was ok for about 20 mins then she went nuts . . dragging a plant pot around and barking like mad . . ive just brought her back in and out her in her crate and she was asleep in seconds . .

why would she not sleep outside - Cold? Scared ?

Off lead exercise is best for them at this age.

20 minutes a few times a day of running around is great

Throw some training in too

As for sleeping outside, i wouldnt and havent done it BUT in saying that some people prefer it.

It is up to you what you do but you may find your pup settles better sleeping inside at night

GOod luck with her, join us in the gsd thread, we would all love to see piccies. :eek:

GSD thread

Hi cute baby.I also habve a new baby, but I do have an older dog so makes a bit easier as she has him to settle her. I have a puppy pen(Bought 2 garden mulch pens from Bunning :laugh: ) and I have that set up in our pergola area .She cried the first night a little but has not made a sound since.They do sleep out side and she is happy.She also gets very bitey after 20 mins or so I put her back to her bed and she usually goes straight to sleep.Its her way of saying she needs a sleep, just like Human kids they get naughty when they are tired.I would not be without my pen as it gives her time out space that is all hers and Buddy gets a rest from her as well. :eek:

The other day I had them out for a while and when I went to them she had put herself back into her bed away from Buddy so she isn't concerned in the least about being outside , she knows her bed and only hear a bit of a whimper for about a min when she goes to bed.. :eek:

This was my baby 2 weeks ago when we got her(and my human baby )

100_6071.jpg

100_6068.jpg

100_6201.jpg

Have fun with her ,where is she from?

awww, look at all these adorable baby sheppies.

i remember when mine was a cute little fluff ball.

now she's become pretty, lacks cute, but can look very proud.

just remember guys, dont get too hung up on teh problem puppy, and just enjoy while its a puppy, because mine is getting out of that stage now, and i sometimes wish i had worried less while she was little.

I agree with Settrlvr,

Picture yourself in the puppy's shoes. Your a tiny baby, dependent on company of your siblings or other warm body. You are not self sufficient for anything. Suddenly, you are taken to a new place, haven't had much time to find somewhere secure or find out what may or may not hurt you out there in the big world, put in a strange place and left to yourself. This puppy is clearly not ready to be left totally alone.

Bring the puppy into your bedroom in a crate at night and you will see an amazing difference. Take small steps to leave your puppy in a secure place with a bone and go out for 10 minutes, then return. Continue until your puppy can spend much more time on its own. Slowly your puppy will acclimatise to life on its own. You will be far less likely to have separation anxiety this way.

How dumb am I? :rofl: I ASSUMED the puppy was already crated in the Bedroom. :):cry::rofl:

So...I would recommend the same treatment...I have done it with many dogs now. And I LOVE it. Wouldn't do it any other way now...unless someone comes up with something better. (Gotta keep an open mind about these things.)

*going back to the :eek: corner. *

Hey guys and girls

I just thought i would give an update on things

well we seem to have a different puppy altogether now she is amazing .. . sleeping soundly and having a great time playing with us.

She is still sleeping down stairs in her pen / crate . . i give her a hot pad every night to snuggle up with and a ticking clock near by which seems to have done the trick

She has never eliminated in the house at all so i have been making regular 2 hour visits to her during the night to take her out side to do her business . . Last night i though i would test her out i took her for a wee at 1 am and then straight back to bed. . I then left her to see if she would call me when she needed to go - 530 am and lovely night sleep had by all and little fizz gave me a quick shout - off we went for a wee . . .She really is super amazing . .

I am also still giving her time alone in the garden during the day up to 1 1/2 hours at a time she will play and sleep and whine a little bit but not too much . . followed by lots of play and praise . .

i have had her on her lead for up to 2 mins at a time ( only round the garden and house ) - she still does not like it yet , she bites it and tries to pull on it - i can distract her for a couple of seconds with toys and treats . .

any other getting her on the lead tips ?????

she is only 9 weeks old and is very intelligent and a great bundle of fun

:)

They are so smart and so cute at this age.

Brydee was also biting the lead but I let her carry it now,instead of trying to get it out of her mouth and she thinks that is Ok.She trots along very well then. I feel she'll out grow that so its no big deal at the moment, but she is a show puppy so I dont want her to do it all the time but even now she will walk with out having to hold it all the time so it is only practise and time.Good idea only doing it for five mins or so though.

Everytime I let Brydee out I walk out to the grass and say go toilet and usually with out fail she will go straight away. :rofl: A friend was over and I did this and he just stood shaking his head and I said whats wrong and he said I cant believe a puppy that age goes on command :cry:

I just laughed and said its only cause everytime they wake up they usually go to the toilet, so take them straight out and they go and they learn what you want them to do if you say it to them all the time, very handy when showing them as they get older :rofl:

Sounds like she is going very well though.They are so cute arn't they. :eek: