Hazel

Daisy

thank you for the kind thoughts everyone

i just can't get used to the idea she is not here, I keep thinking I hear her, or expect to see her coming into the room

no more Hazel cuddles, she had such a silky smooth coat, and gave such lovely smoochy kisses, and could be such a funny dag when she was in a playful mood

every time i come in here i start to cry again. i am looking forward to the time when I can remember her with a smile instead of tears

Edited by Daisy

I have been thinking about Hazel a lot, although it makes me cry, because i don't want to forget anything about her. It upsets me that I might start to forget what it felt like to cuddle and stroke her, or any of the funny things she would do. i want to start writing them down, so i don't forget. This will probably be just a ramble, but maybe one day i will write it up into a nice piece of prose and have it framed.

Hazel had a very short fine coat, but it was so soft. I used to love patting her, especially around her head and ears because they felt so silky. She had no hair on her belly, but it was nice to give her a belly rub too because her skin was very soft. And she had such a gorgeous 'smooshy' face, I couldn't resist giving her a kiss on the chops now and again. She wasn't a licky dog at all, but sometimes if you asked for a kiss she would give you a lovely slobbery lick.

Hazel liked to be petted and stroked but she didn't like to be picked up or to sit on your lap - probably just as well because she was a bit too big! She had the waggiest tail, whenever you talked to her or patted her or played with her it never stopped wagging, but it was a whippy tail and could hurt a bit if you got whacked with it! It was also noisy if she was standing next to something as she would just keep wagging it even if it was whacking the wall/fridge/washing machine. It didn't seem to hurt her. One day she even whacked a power point with it and turned the fridge off! Luckily my son noticed and turned it back on again! And another time she did accidentally damage the tip, and ran happily through the house wagging her tail at the kids and I had to clean up knee-high blood splatter from all the walls.

Hazel loved water, and on the odd occasion we took her somewhere there was water she loved to swim and splash around. I can remember seeing her bouncing through the shallow water at the edge of the dam at Tuggeranong Dog Club with a big silly grin on her face!

Hazel was so good with the foster puppies we had over the years. She was endlessly patient and would always play with them, however was really great at teaching them manners as if they were too rough or rambunctious they would be told off in no uncertain terms, but then she would be happy to start playing again.

She was Dozer's best play buddy, they would wrestle for ages, and both were very noisy - if you didn't know them you would have thought they were trying to kill each other! Hazel also loved my greyhound boys, and would often lick their faces and mouths. She was particularly good buddies with Ryan, and it was so funny seeing them together trying to play! Ryan, being a greyhound, likes to play chasies, but Hazel's favourite game was to wrestle. Ryan loved her so much he would actually attempt to play wrestles sometimes, but he wasn't very good at it! And she was very gentle with him compared to the way she played with Dozer.

Hazel always slept curled up into a tight little ball. She loved sleeping and loved her bed. On the rare occasion she was allowed to sleep on mine or the kids beds, she was a bit of a bed hog, curling up into a ball in the middle of the bed! She did like to curl up in the crook of your knees if you were sleeping on your side. The dogs aren't usually allowed in my bedroom, but one morning a few weeks ago I had got up for some reason then gone back to bed and not closed my door properly. Next thing I know Hazel was visiting, so I invited her up for a cuddle, and she settled down right next to me cuddled up against my chest with my arms wrapped around her. A precious memory.

She was always so pleased when you came home, sometimes she would pick something up in her mouth and run around with it, usually a dirty sock or something like that. and sometimes she would do the 'burrowing' thing, if she was in a playful mood she would kind of put her head upside down on the floor or burrow into your legs...hard to explain but I can see it so clearly in my mind.

Hazel was a very chunky girl but had her own grace. She was a fence jumper, and although this ultimately led to her death even though I thought we had resolved the problem, I remember watching her with awe once as she sailed over a 6 foot fence with ease, stunned by the sheer power and grace of her movement.