Anti-barking Collars

I'd try an air spray collar Trisven- Grover is probably soft enough for one. And while i agree that its not ideal to have to correct him for barking in play, sometimes living in suburban areas and dealing with neighbours means our dogs have to do things they otherwise would not to stay safe.

Thanks Cosmolo. As you know - funds can be a little tight for us :thumbsup::) and we've had an offer to trial a citronella collar from a couple of different DOLers - what that be a bad thing given that Grover is such a whoos?

I honestly don't think it would take long for him to figure out that barking gets the yucky thing happening but don't want to completely repress his delightful silliness either..... You know my yard set-up and it isn't possible for him to be permanently in the front yard as that is the kid's yard.... Though I suppose I could always make the back yard the kid's yard?????

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erny is right. You definitely cant import an e-collar through customs. I probably wouldnt try it.

Shame really cos it is cheaper than buying here.

But at least if you buy here you can buy from someone that can give you some help on how to use it and what sort of training to implement :thumbsup:

I'd try an air spray collar Trisven- Grover is probably soft enough for one. And while i agree that its not ideal to have to correct him for barking in play, sometimes living in suburban areas and dealing with neighbours means our dogs have to do things they otherwise would not to stay safe.

Thanks Cosmolo. As you know - funds can be a little tight for us :thumbsup::) and we've had an offer to trial a citronella collar from a couple of different DOLers - what that be a bad thing given that Grover is such a whoos?

I honestly don't think it would take long for him to figure out that barking gets the yucky thing happening but don't want to completely repress his delightful silliness either..... You know my yard set-up and it isn't possible for him to be permanently in the front yard as that is the kid's yard.... Though I suppose I could always make the back yard the kid's yard?????

They dont teach your dog to stop barking, they only teach them to stop barking whilst wearing the collar. Take the collar off and he will bark as per usual it wont repress him.

IHF- i was sure RT's were banned in NSW too? Does someone have the relevant legislation handy?

Indigirl- thats not true for all dogs, some dogs become collar smart, some do not- depending on how you use the collar and how the dog responds to the correction

Edited by Cosmolo

With most spray collars it is the refills that determine what type they are. I have a Jet Care one which came with a pressurised cold spray, however, I have been unable to get the refills so have also used the Citronella refills. I have to say that I hate the smell of the Citronella!

So if someone can lend you a Citronella collar Trisven go for it and use the other types of refills (the other is lemon I think).

Oh, nearly forgot, when you have multiple dogs the spray collar will go off regardless of which dark barks! My poor Cav girl would run a mile (she wore it) when the cattle dog barked!

IHF- i was sure RT's were banned in NSW too? Does someone have the relevant legislation handy?

Indigirl- thats not true for all dogs, some dogs become collar smart, some do not- depending on how you use the collar and how the dog responds to the correction

Regs and Act need to be read together as one refers to the other

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/con.../poctar2006506/

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/con.../poctaa1979360/

Still not quite sure what it means though as it seems to refer to the innotek type ones that are used to stop escape artists (containment systems). Or are those what we are talking about??? :thumbsup:

Edited by Quickasyoucan

Fair enough cosmolo im jsut speaking from my experience with my own dogs. They have all learnt not to bark when wearing the collar, but i accept that may not be the case with other dogs. All ive done is start off having the dog wear the collar for short supervised periods, and gradually extend the time they are wearing them until they can wear them during the day while im at work. They never wear them when I am home. Most days they only wear them half a day as I come home at lunchtime and leave them in the house for the afternoon. None of them appear to be adversely affected by the collars, none has displayed any fear or aggression. None of thier personalities have changed. They arent thrilled when i put the colalrs on them as they know it means they need to be quiet LOL. For me they have been a godsend as i have intolerant nasty neighbours.

With most spray collars it is the refills that determine what type they are. I have a Jet Care one which came with a pressurised cold spray, however, I have been unable to get the refills so have also used the Citronella refills. I have to say that I hate the smell of the Citronella!

So if someone can lend you a Citronella collar Trisven go for it and use the other types of refills (the other is lemon I think).

Oh, nearly forgot, when you have multiple dogs the spray collar will go off regardless of which dark barks! My poor Cav girl would run a mile (she wore it) when the cattle dog barked!

The newer ones dont do this, although the older ones did. the newer and better ones have a vibration sensor that triggers the spray instead of a microphone. Huge improvement.

Cosmolo - can you give me some tips on using it to the best way possible with Groveyducks? He is such a dope and a softy that I don't think it will take long to teach him to stop - I just have to work out a way to do it. I've never had a sighthound who barks as much as he does though, even when it is only play. I don't doubt that it annoys this particular neighbour as it annoys me (and you know I'm not overly tolerant of barking :thumbsup: ) I've just not really known how to deal with it.

You might have been lucky with getting your electronic collars through customs, Indigirl, and so might have others. But I think there's been just as many or more who have had theirs seized by Customs on arrival as you are supposed to have special permit to import them.

I am surprised this news hasn't filtered down to DOL:

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resource...ces/ACN0855.pdf

Wow thats interesing to know.

Wonder why they lifted the restriction on importing but adding more restrictions to use within the country.

ETA: If Id waited a few months I wouldnt of had to fork out $700 on one :thumbsup:

But seriously Im glad I did get mine here and happy with who I got it from as the assistance I have had with its use has been vital. Mine is a remote trainer though so a bit different to and anti bark collar.

Edited by laeral

I might be mistaken but I was under the impression that you could use an e-collar in NSW on a "prescription" from a vet to a behaviourist and only under the instruction of the trainer. Some sort of clarity on the issue in NSW would be good!

I just invested an anti bark collar, I had too. I had no choice. My dog Ricky doesn't STOP and I didn't know what else to do. It's my fault that I let Ricky get away with the barking as really I'm not the pack leader and this was my best solution.

When I was at the vet I saw a flier for http://www.thedogline.com.au/ which had a rental option for 2 weeks to try and if I'm happy with it, they take the rental price off the full price and I just pay the difference or I send it back

I've had it for 3 days and it has worked WONDERS. I never would have believed it.

If first beeps to give Ricky a warning, if Ricky continues, then it gives him a stimulation similar to when we rub our feet on carpet and then touch a door handle = shock.

I don't have it on him when I'm not there, I put it on him when I get home as that's when he plays up. The moment I put it on him, he STOPPED. When it's not on him, he tests the waters and tries for a bark and then I show him the collar.

For the first time in a year and a half I have quiet.

I rescued a dog earlier this year, who was barking constantly... I bought an anti-bark collar, and all that happened, was that he learned to count! He also knew, when he didn't have it on.. The collar worked, but not in a way that taught him not to bark, only not to bark, when he had it on...

Unfortunately this dog had to be put down due to people aggression.. :rofl:

I rescued a dog earlier this year, who was barking constantly... I bought an anti-bark collar, and all that happened, was that he learned to count! He also knew, when he didn't have it on.. The collar worked, but not in a way that taught him not to bark, only not to bark, when he had it on...

Unfortunately this dog had to be put down due to people aggression.. :rofl:

How did you introduce the dog to the collar?