50mm 1.4 Or 1.8 Post Your Pics Here!

Kirislin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took some shots on my 1.8 (wish i'd had a 1.4!) yesterday at the Sydney Royal Easter show so thought I'd post a few up here (they haven't been edited yet because my laptop is so slow it's about to thrown against a wall and my PC isn't up and running atm):

Terranik's Ahsoka (who won puppy of breed) being a great ambassador for the breed and meeting the show goers:

IMG_3712.jpg

Janoby Kennel's Aslann (who i was told is the only blue and tan lappie competing at the moment):

IMG_3771.jpg

And again (i wish i had reshot this without the leg in the way but when my PC is fixed, I'll play around with the editing)

IMG_3806.jpg

Janoby Kennel's Flash, a Swedish Lapphund and my new crush:

IMG_4111.jpg

And one from this morning - my cat, Mystery (who we nicknamed "mow mow" because he follows us around the house miowing trying to find me)

IMG_4255.jpg

Shell nice work on the cat, it's really lovely. :rolleyes: Great minds think alike as I have been 50mm practicing on getting a perfect shot of Calvin. I love this lens for Calvin but not so sure I am sold on it with the dogs. I actually don't like using it on the dogs. Is there really that much of a difference in the 1.4 and 1.8?

3423832046_1ec2b36dac.jpg

3433984266_e00e193102.jpg

I paid about $400 for my 1.4...make sure you shop around a bit before buying.

was that new or 2nd hand, if it was new please share where you got it.

It was new and I believe it was from camerasdirect.com.au...will have to double-check though.

ETA: Hrmm, no, I must've been mistaken about the cost...the cheapest I can find it for is $559. http://www.shopbot.com.au is a great spot for price comparison anyway.

Edited by iltby

Beautiful shots of Calvin! I like it for certain things with the dogs, but i've found after yesterday (i set myself the challenge of only using the 50mm yesterday because lots of people have told me it's the most versatile of lenses) i think i'll be going back to my 18-55mm for a while because i find the focus on the 1.8 can be very soft indoors (it'd be a lot clearer with a 1.4 apparently) and while that can be good if you want that look, it's not what i'm going for most of the time.

I can't wait to play with the picture of Mow Mow in photoshop - because he's an inside cat and our house can be quite dark, it's hard to get a good photo of him. If I put it on a slower shutter speed, his whiskers always blur (they move a lot because they're so long), if i use the flash (still saving for that speedlite and diffuser *sigh*), usually he ends up with next to no detail in his white fur. I'm sure I'll get there one day!

I love the 50mm for outdoor, bright lighting shots still (Zero was being a terror on friday and wouldn't take any photogenic shots, even though it was the perfect setting - I call this shot "look Mum, I can ruin a photo 2 ways!"):

IMG_3580.jpg

I vow to one day retake this shot with a better behaved Zero!

What programs do you use to edit Rocco? When my PC is back up and running, I need to get back into editing and it's been nearly 6 months since I did any retouching so I might as well try my hand at a few different programs and see which one i like best.

I paid about $400 for my 1.4...make sure you shop around a bit before buying.

was that new or 2nd hand, if it was new please share where you got it.

It was new and I believe it was from camerasdirect.com.au...will have to double-check though.

ETA: Hrmm, no, I must've been mistaken about the cost...the cheapest I can find it for is $559. http://www.shopbot.com.au is a great spot for price comparison anyway.

aah thanks. yes, I like shopbot.

I love the 50mm for outdoor, bright lighting shots still (Zero was being a terror on friday and wouldn't take any photogenic shots, even though it was the perfect setting - I call this shot "look Mum, I can ruin a photo 2 ways!"):

IMG_3580.jpg

I vow to one day retake this shot with a better behaved Zero!

:rolleyes: I thought whats wrong with him, he looks lovely, until I scrolled down. :( He was obviously very happy to be in your presence.

Poor Zero - he was so hot when I took those photos and he really wasn't into it (you can tell by the facial expression!) - and now the whole world has seen what's he got to offer ;)

I found some old photos I took when I first got my dslr tonight - I really really want my PC back! I found some great shots that definitely need some editing and I can't run the programs on my laptop!

I've got photoshop cs3 but i think i might invest in lightroom - thank dog for my work subsidising creative software for us. Now i just need my macbook pro and final cut studio and I'll be back in business!

Poor Zero - he was so hot when I took those photos and he really wasn't into it (you can tell by the facial expression!) - and now the whole world has seen what's he got to offer :rofl:

I found some old photos I took when I first got my dslr tonight - I really really want my PC back! I found some great shots that definitely need some editing and I can't run the programs on my laptop!

I've got photoshop cs3 but i think i might invest in lightroom - thank dog for my work subsidising creative software for us. Now i just need my macbook pro and final cut studio and I'll be back in business!

Just crop it a bit. it's a lovely photo, apart from his "happiness" showing :rofl: .