Proplan

After an unsuccessful attempt to put the pups on Ziwipeak (and the :cry: price tag) following the Orijen drama, we are back on the hunt for something better. I'm looking at ProPlan Selects at the moment, and was wondering if anyone can have a look at the ingredients and tell me if there's anything i need to watch out for?

The ones in particular are:

For puppies - Natural Turkey & Barley Formula:

Turkey, brewers rice, corn gluten meal [i read somewhere that this isn't so good, is that correct?], chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), pearled barley, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), oat meal, dried egg product, pea fiber, dried beet pulp, fish oil, natural flavor, potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, dried tomatoes, blueberry pomace, dried sweet potatoes, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, niacin, copper proteinate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

And for adult dogs (Enzo turns one v soon) - Natural Salmon & Brown Rice Formula:

Salmon, brown rice, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), oat meal, canola meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), pearled barley, dried egg product, brewers dried yeast, natural flavor, potassium chloride, salt, dried sweet potatoes, blueberry pomace, dried tomatoes, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, choline chloride, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), niacin, copper proteinate, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Natural Turkey & Barley Formula:

Turkey, brewers rice, pearled barley, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, oat meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), dried egg product, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), pea fiber, dried beet pulp, fish oil, natural flavor, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, calcium carbonate, dried tomatoes, blueberry pomace, dried sweet potatoes, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, choline chloride, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), niacin, copper proteinate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

and possibly Sensitive Skin & Stomach Formula (this one's regular ProPlan, as opposed to Selects):

Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, oat meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salmon meal (natural source of glucosamine), pearled barley, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Are there any nasties i need to be aware of?

Okay i use proplan .

I have used the selects adult turkey & barley & had to stop as my dogs where drinking so much water it wasnt funny.

I had won an big supply at a show so no biggie on the cost ,the dog loved it BUT i have a breed prone to bloat & the edrinking was a big issue.

I will say i didnt have the same issues with the puppy turkey & barly & was using it on a young pup when i travelled east as he enjoyed it ,although this same dog is back on eagle pack holistic at present .I do plan to switch him once fully grown to the salmon.

I have for many years now feed the prop plan salmon with great success .

Thanks for that Settrlvr. Just to clarify, by salmon, do you mean the Selects one, or the sensitive skin & stomach?

sensitive skin & stomach

I dont use it for skin issues or stomach it just simply agrees with my boys well

Edited by settrlvr

I'm not too sure about the ingrediants but my boys where and are good on it. Lestat, my Lab has been eating it for years and he has always been great on it, no hassles or dramas.

Mistral, my Samoyed has eaten it for most of his 10months of life and I have loved him on it and it was the only food he would touch for a long time but I have found that since growing up a bit I have had more hassle keeping a good weight on him. Nothing else changed in his enviroment so we put it down to his food so we swapped him over to royal canin and that has solved the issue.

If it was not for his weight being a little funny I would have kept him on it.

Edited by Wolfsong

My dogs have probably done the best on the Salmon one. It gives super shiny coats. I spoke to the rep about the corn gluten meal and she said that the meal didn't have the stuff in it that causes allergies. Can't remember which bit of the corn does cause allergies. Could be crap but that is what she said. Corn is mainly a problem if your dog has allergies to it. Selects is a bit of a pain to get hold of.

I have used Proplan on and off for a couple of years. I have an older dog with a sensitive stomach and had been feeding him EP Holistic. I have just started him on the Salmon for sensitive stomachs so it will be interesting how he goes.

I've had my dogs on Pro Plan Selects Lamb and Oatmeal for a while now and they absolutely love it. Only problem is it's very hard to source around here and I have to drive 2 hours to buy it.

I tried the standard Pro Plan, and it was OK, but not a patch on the Selects. I even used it as training treats cos the dogs loved it so much.

Having said that though, my dogs don't have a huge amount of kibble in their diet. Maybe 3 meals a week out of 14.

I've always been a Proplan fan and was interested in the Selects range but I haven't been able to try it because I just haven't found it for sale anywhere yet. After the Origen scare I really took a good look at ingredients in products and Royal Canin which I'd never tried before came up very well in the ingredients list and in fact better than proplan so I gave it a go. So far I've been very pleased with it. It smells good. The dogs enjoy it. The other thing I really noticed is that the flies are attracted to it which I think is testament to the ingredients being mainly meat. The dogs seems to be holding good weight on it also.

I had my german shepherd on Proplan salmon sensitive skin and stomach but took her off it as she had the worst case of itchy skin and dandruff i have seen...

She was fine before I swapped her over then once I got her off onto Royal Canin the itching stopped.... every dog is different though.

Since the Orijen issue, I have changed to the Selects Turkey & Barley. Kibble is not a major part of the dogs diet but so far she enjoys it. It is hard to source so I just buy it online. Good luck with the change.

I raise all my puppies on pro plan puppy ,I find it builds great muscle tone ,but is extremly rich, so i go half half with bonnie puppy by the time they leave home

Interesting Cockerlover. My GSD boy came home from his breeder on proplan puppy at around 8 months. He developed pano, and the vet (Karen Hedberg) said to take him off the proplan puppy because the protein is too high.

I'm using the Sensitive Stomach & Skin one with Chelsea - I started her on it a fortnight before I boarded her last time as this is what the kennels used and I did want any problems with a new food whilst I was away (Chelsea can be really sensitive to diet changes); well, she did so well on it that I've kept her on it. It really suits her and her coat is mirror type shiny!

I must say though that for us; the amounts on the side of the packet are far too much (I think many brands are like this) - Chelsea got a bit porky on the recommended ration, so I cut her back and this has been perfect.

Thanks for the response guys.

I haven't seen ProPlan in any shops around my area but i had a look on google and found a three or four online shops that stock it.

So what's a good amount of protein to have in kibble, especially if it's the main part of their diet (75%)?

Edited by ruffdiamond

Thanks for the response guys.

I haven't seen ProPlan in any shops around my area but i had a look on google and found a three or four online shops that stock it.

So what's a good amount of protein to have in kibble, especially if it's the main part of their diet (75%)?

I don't really know the answer to this, someone willc ome along soon that will I'm sure. Chelsea eats proplan as roughly about 80% of her diet and she's doing fabulous to the balance must be right. The other 20% is mostly chicken carcasses and leftovers.