Feeding Carrots To Dogs

The other day I put a bag of carrots on the floor near the front door, with full intention of feeding them to my horses.

Anyway I got distracted with a phone call for 20 minutes, & when I came back to the front door, I noticed that my cheeky Bailey had broken into the bag grabbed one of the carrots & was munching away on it in his bed. :cry:

He enjoyed it thoroughly & finished every bit & even tried looking for more.

So I was just wondering is it safe to feed carrots to dogs this way, or is it better to grate them into his food. He seemed to really love eating them this way, & I wouldn't mind giving him one every now & then as a treat.

Nicole

Carrots like that are great for his teeth!!

One of the nurses at work always gives her boy a carrot for a treat and he loves them.

But yeah you wouldnt want to feed him a whole bag, but thats the same as everything and no one is really that silly. hehe :cry:

Yes and no.

moderation. too much of anything isn't a good thing. might give him and upset stomach or runny poo but i don't see how a carrot now and again would be harmful.

Thanks, but I don't have any intention of giving them to him all the time, just every now & then as a treat. :cry:

Carrots like that are great for his teeth!!

One of the nurses at work always gives her boy a carrot for a treat and he loves them.

But yeah you wouldnt want to feed him a whole bag, but thats the same as everything and no one is really that silly. hehe :cry:

Yeah I was thinking they would be good for his teeth too, bit of a change from giving him a bone. :mad

Wow I wouldn't give my horses a full bag of carrotts to themselves all at once, never mind my dogs.

No issues at all.

can turn some white dogs orange but in summer we will buy a bag of horse carrots & use them on hot days .hand them out after being in the fridge.\The dogs generally poop chunks of carrot out the other end.

Great for the teeth & alot less messier than bones & safer too

No issues at all.

can turn some white dogs orange but in summer we will buy a bag of horse carrots & use them on hot days .hand them out after being in the fridge.\The dogs generally poop chunks of carrot out the other end.

Great for the teeth & alot less messier than bones & safer too

Thanks settlvr, that's great to hear :cry:

Looks like I'll be buying extra carrotts in my next shop, for the horses & the dogs. :mad

They won't digest then properly and get any nutrients from them that way however like others have said I would imagine them to be good for their teeth.

My two won't touch a whole raw carrot, they just turn their noses up and walk away.

I do occassionally give our GSD part of a carrot which he chews like a bone. It is mainly just so he thinks he is getting something to eat when he really doesn't need any food. He also loves the occassional apple but only when I peel it for him and share my (cut up) apple.

Edited by Tilly

I go through a 20 kg bag of carrots in about a fortnight . . . between myself and four Labradors. I chop the carrots coarsely. Take the better ones out for cooking. Highly recommended as a food for weight reduction . . . the dogs don't seem to get a lot out of them .. . . but they enjoy the chew.

I use carrots for my older girl when we are training, cut them up small and partially cook, don't have to worry about her getting to many extra kilojoules and she gets plenty of rewards. Also cook and blend them up with other veggies for my pups.

Edited by Lab lady