Feeding Meat

To chew, or not to chew...  

88 members have voted

1. 1. You feed fresh raw meat because....

• It's what they should be eating
    • It's good for them
    • They like it
    • I was told to
  2. 2. You feed it attached to bones because...

• It's easier
    • I think it's good for their teeth
    • It keeps them occupied, as well as being a meal
    • They LOVE chewing bones
    • They get calcium and other minerals from bones
    • eating bone helps with number and consistency of droppings
    • Meat on the bone is an excellent way to strengthen puppy jaws.
    • Sorry- I feed meat minced/chopped
  3. 3. You feed meat minced/chopped up because...

• It's easier
    • That's how it's packaged
    • It's quicker- they can be fed faster
    • The one I feed has bone minced up in it as well, so it's good!
    • I don't like handling bones/meat chunks.
    • Bones are a worry- they may splinter or damage teeth.
    • Feeding bones causes constipation.
    • Mince is easier to mix with other foods
    • I'm not sure...
    • I have a puppy- puppies can't chew bones
    • With multiple dogs, there may be fights
    • oops! I feed it on the bone :)
    • My dog needs to have meat minced due to health problems.

Guest belgian.blue

I feed raw meat off the bone which is pet quality as it also contains grisle etc. Not minced in any way, more chunky.

I give it to her (now shes got adult teeth) in large chunks which she has to chew really well before it goes down. Watching her this morning she took quite some time to eat her breakfast .. busy chewing away.

I feed bones in the morning (chicken frames / lamb bones / beef brisket)

In the evenings they get a mix of minced chicken frames/ chunky minced beef/ choped liver/kidney mixed with Vets all Natural.

So I tick alot of boxes because it is a combination diet that I feel gives them the very best.

I feed Fox his meat in large chunks (around grape-fruit size or larger) on or off the bone (including whole prey), with minced meat only used for Kong stuffing or hiding tablets. I try to feed as close to Prey model as I can as I believe dog's have teeth for a reason - why feed pre-chewed when they can do it themselves?

There was no-where on the poll to tick for Hope - she has a throat condition which forces me to feed mostly minced meat & bone. I have no choice and wouldn't if I didn't have to...

My ferrets are never fed/won't touch mince, and are only fed whole prey or prey model.

I feed mostly on the bone, but a small portion is roo mince with the veges, flaxseed oil, eggs etc.

On the bone meats include beef, chicken and lamb.

I bought turkey necks for the first time yesterday and he had a half for breakfast - he chewed on them for ages, but ate every last scrap :laugh:

I feed on the bone and mince. Mince is easier to divide up for little dogs to stop excessive weight gain. Also, if it's out really cheap, then I can't help myself, especially when it's -just- mince and not preservatives etc.

I feed bones, chicken frames, wings, turkey necks and lamb shanks, not at the same time :mad also I feed mince meat with veges. So it is a combination really.

I'm the same.

I feed chicken frames, roo tails, beef tails, chicken wings, turkey necks and lamb shanks.

They also get mince (chicken, roo, beef, lamb - depending on the week) with vege slops. I'm trying to find somewhere I can get mince with ground bone in it though.

Mostly they get meat on bone - necks, wings, lamb flaps, lamb offcuts, frames, salmon heads and assorted bits... But a couple of times a week they also get sardines, yoghurt and pulped veggies.

I like feeding this way because I find it easy, it keeps them occupied for longer and they look fantastic for it :mad

Edited by huga

i feed my two dogs raw meaty bones...

lamb offcuts, spines, rib frames, neck chops. chicken wings, necks, frames. occasional small beef bone. chicken/rabbit offal. rabbit when i can get my hands on it.

and each night [almost every-missed a few] they also get pulped veggies and chopped up chicken necks [because the ancient blender wont blend them!!] with added yogurt or egg or whatever food scraps are around

Tucker gets mostly bones, a small bit of kibble (which he doesn't really like but I'm worried about him missing trace elements and vitamins etc since I'm new to this whole meat diet) and some offal. He had his first lamb heart for dinner tonight and LOVED it. Unfortunately he tried to thank me with disgusting heart kisses.

Bambi gets fed My Dog canned (I mix her arthritis powder in with it) and some kibble, which I'm very slowly weaning her off. She's a very fussy little dog and will rather go hungry than eat, and half the time she eats she vomits (but re-ate her meds this morning before I could get to the vomit LOL). I don't think she'll ever eat bones, but she's slowly showing more interest in chicken necks. Won't eat Vets All Natural.

I feed bones, chicken frames, wings, turkey necks and lamb shanks, not at the same time :rolleyes: also I feed mince meat with veges. So it is a combination really.

I'm the same.

I feed chicken frames, roo tails, beef tails, chicken wings, turkey necks and lamb shanks.

They also get mince (chicken, roo, beef, lamb - depending on the week) with vege slops. I'm trying to find somewhere I can get mince with ground bone in it though.

You can get a very high quality chicken frame mince from Lenards Chicken stores throughout Sydney - the best part is it is all human grade with not alot of fat in it all for $1.50 per kilo..

I hope this helps in your search for mince with bones. No mincer will ever cope with lamb or beef bones so I give those whole for breakfast, Beef Brisket is great as they can eat the whole thing easily. I use the chicken frame mince for their dinner mix.

There was no-where on the poll to tick for Hope - she has a throat condition which forces me to feed mostly minced meat & bone. I have no choice and wouldn't if I didn't have to...

I put a box in for you :D

Thank you! But since I've already voted it wont let me add that vote now.

You can get a very high quality chicken frame mince from Lenards Chicken stores throughout Sydney - the best part is it is all human grade with not alot of fat in it all for $1.50 per kilo..

I hope this helps in your search for mince with bones. No mincer will ever cope with lamb or beef bones so I give those whole for breakfast, Beef Brisket is great as they can eat the whole thing easily. I use the chicken frame mince for their dinner mix.

Fantastic! Thank you!