Has Any One Found An Answer?

shazza

Does any one have any suggestions on how to deter a large puppy from digging and scratching at a garden that is covered with bark?

If we catch him going near it we usually growl at him and tell him no and he walks off.

But we can't be watching him every single minute so he makes the most of that and sneaks onto it and digs at it.

I had sprayed it with D-Ter, but this has not worked so any "tried and true" methods would be welcome.

Give them a clam shell pool filled with sand and teach them to dig there. Try hiding treats under the sand and if they dig the garden, reprimand (within that magis couple of seconds) and redirect them to the clam shell and praise them when they dig there.

I allow my dogs to dig in one area of the garden (in a shady spot under a tree), some people use clam shells for this... the rest of the yard is 'off limits' to digging. My 10 month GSP still has the occasional dig, but any holes I find I fill with dog poo and fill back in - he never digs there again!

Yes I have found the answer to that

Stop worrying about it and resign yourself to having a dug up garden :laugh:

Yes, that's what we've done. :laugh: :cool: :rofl:

Other suggestions besides a digging pit. Put up a fence to stop him from going in there or lay chicken wire over the bark.

Yes I have found the answer to that

Stop worrying about it and resign yourself to having a dug up garden :mad

Yes, that's what we've done. :(:o:confused:

Other suggestions besides a digging pit. Put up a fence to stop him from going in there or lay chicken wire over the bark.

Yep same here.. we were trying to grow some grass in the back corner of the yard, we fenced it off with a wire fence .. we put grass seed down and top soil etc.. we used to quite often find halle digging in the dirt... I'd go outside and she would be so deep down in the ground I could just see her bum sticking out the top! She always managed to jump over the fence but once busted, conveniently forgot how to get back over. After storming out there RAGING waving arms around at her, we got in the corner of the yard, picked her up and literally threw her over the fence (it was only 1m high about 3 feet away LOL) and she never did it again. Well, we never saw her doing it and the grass started to grow.

Laying chicken wire down flat is a great idea. We did this with a few small patches of grass in our lawn and worked wonders.

Our dog is currently digging to China...his holes are so large when he's in them, you can only see his backside hanging out and he's a medium sized dog...

Anyway, we found putting dog poo in the hole works a treat, but also agree, that he will just find another spot.

So, to have a garden and a dog, you either need a dog that's mature and is not interested in digging, or put a fence around the garden.

Or. Do what we've done and given up on the backyard and handed it over to the dog... :cry:

I use an electric collar system to keep the dogs off the garden bed and mulch areas. This works for one dog only as the other still goes through, plus if collar left on the Rott, the Staff chews it for him.

I bought a clam shell, and no interest whatsoever. I put treats in it and Stafford jumped in and dug out the treats and will now maim any other pet going near *her* clam shell as she associates it with food :cry: Had to pack it up and put it away.

So no solution, I just keep re turfing the dug up parts.

My dogs used to dig so much that the backyard used to look like it had been hit by a meteor shower :D

Recently I returfed the lawn during the holidays. They started digging again. I put poo around the edges. Now they don't touch it. They have part of the backyard for digging where it slopes into the bushy area. And that's ok. So yes, the poo works.