Food Threads

Crisovar

Don't you just love the food debates. :laugh:

Every single food topic turns into a bash the commercial food thread or supermarket brands and or bash the Vets or breeders who sometimes suggest them.

Some people need to jump in every time, but the facts are that not everyone is prepared or is even in a position to spend their life researching how to feed their dog.

Many people here are totally and passionately absorbed by their dogs, fine, that is all good, but for a huge number owning a dog is simply an enjoyable part of their lives, that is good too.

Dogs can and do live quite happily and healthily on commercial foods, so if that doesn't sit well with some they need to get over it. Dogs live till ripe old ages eating supermarket foods, get over that too. I don't feed supercoat but have neighbours who have a very fit and healthy Rottie that thrives on the stuff, he did very badly on a raw diet and it frustrated them, they tried on the of the gold plated premium super brands it didn't suit, so understandably they went back to what he did well on, I wouldn't feed it, most here wouldn't, but the dog is doing great and has for some years, are they wrong? Some here would say yes, but the dog is happy and they are happy.

Why do Vets tend to recommend commercial diets for animals? easy, owner compliance.

Ever tried to explain a homemade renal diet to a client? You lose most after 1 minute.

Same with obesity diets, allergy diets, intestinal issues etc etc.

Like it or not we live in a world where people are impatient and have little time to spare, you try and explain to a mum with 3 kids in tow , and a husband who expects dinner now that she has to feed this this and this, and not feed that. Dog will be back in 2 weeks same issues. Make it easy, make it safe and owner compliance is better.

I am one of the silly ones, I spend the time playing around with diets and reading and trying until we get it right for the animal, I have the time, and the interest because animals is what I do, it is how I earn my living, it is how I spend my life. My animals come first. Not everyone is the same. They are not wrong, they just do it different.

Many Breeders also recommend things for the same reasons, make it easy, make it readily available and send the pup home with a broad palate that prevents too many dietary hiccups early on. No use insisting on only feeding brand X, then sending a pup out to the boonies where brand X has never been heard of let alone stocked. That happens too, and it is no wonder the new owners get confused and frustrated, and puppy gets the runs and it all ends in tears.

It doesn't have to be so hard guys, it doesn't have to be an exact science, it doesn't have to be a who is right and who is wrong topic.

It should be what the dog does best on that matters.

me three :laugh:

My dog hates his kibble but he loves it when I spice it up - eggs, sardines, stock etc. I'm keeping him on it until he's fully grown because that way I'll know he's getting the right balance. I'm NOT a nutritionist so I'd be doing more harm than good IMHO if I chose raw. A bit of balance helps.

Thanks for posting crisovar.

Edited by dogon

exactly. Its also what the owner can afford in time and money. Not feeding the best food on the market or buying up 50 different cuts of meat, juicing veges and juggling supplements does NOT make you a bad person. As long as the dog healthy, happy and doing well in the long term on the diet then what is the issue.

Also the emotional blackmail just shows a lack of people skills. No one should be forced to feel they are doing the wrong think or they are 'poisoning' their dogs because they dont agree with a posters diet ideas. Frankly some fashionable diets out there are more harmful then a good dry dog food - but its your dog, you feed it what you want.

Edited by Nekhbet

good post.

i prefer to feed raw because its good for my dogs and is cheap. and I have found when they were on kibble and canned they were not very healthy at all. i do it in the interest of the dogs, both who took very well to the change and now are both happy and healthy as ever

Yep so true.You read often people posting a diet & then they get BARF bashed,if you dont feed it that way then you are a horrible owner.

many who will happily suggest a change but have no clue about breed specific needs & what some recommendations could do to some breeds.

With vets though ido have issues with vet practices that do push there brand because its a profit reason only.

We have like many breeders had new owners on the phone in total confusion about what to feed because the vet has said this brand only & if they dont things will go wrong.

As with many breeders we have spoken to some off these vets & asked them why & they quickly run & hide,

Some diets just arent for all dogs .

We run boarding kennels & we see what diets people feed & the results.

Many are fee all sorts of crap & do very well.Others who have been brainwashed & feed a diet that doesnt suit at all.

Many when you asked why they changed really had no clue why except they where told it was better .

I am a believer of not changing what isnt broken & that is the way our dogs are feed.

We can tell instantly with our pups when they come back for grooms who has changed & who hasnt & again its because joe blow said or the neighbour ,cousin or whom ever.

Dogs where perfectly fine before.

99% will phone & discuss changes,others take there chances & will occasionally phone up complaining about vet bills & skin issues & its easy to solve the issue.

It amazes me how many give advice but dont even ask what the breed is or what the breeder suggested.Obviously in some cases people have acquired dogs with no help at all

There are zealots and dogma spouted in almost on almost any subject you care to name on this forum.

All I'd say is don't judge the diet by its supporters and anyone who thinks that one diet will suit every dog is sadly deluded.

That said, I also think that with dog food, as with most things, you tend to get what you pay for.

I don't think you'd find too many people who think the dog foods at the lowest end of the petfood market would be an ideal diet for any dog.

My standard expressed view has always been to feed a carefully researched (and preferably vet endorsed) raw diet OR the best quality dried food (perhaps with supplementary stuff too) you can afford.

You can feed a gluten free, soy free kibble diet free of preservatives without too much trouble and for many dogs, avoiding those three common dog allergens can do wonders for their health. If your dog does fine being fed them then lucky you. :laugh:

However, if your dog has constant yeasty infected ears and skin complaints then its time to start looking at what he/she's eating.

My standard expressed view has always been to feed a carefully researched (and preferably vet endorsed) raw diet OR the best quality dried food (perhaps with supplementary stuff too) you can afford.

Me too.

I think it is important to talk about diets and what we feed. I think it is very important to talk to owners (in general) about what type of ingredients make up dried food, I know my dogs were much better off once I understood the difference in quality between various dried foods. I now feed a BARF diet, but that is only because that is what my dogs (except for Cherry) do best on.

The thread on affordable dried food just proves that price is not always an indicator on quality, but having a general idea of what ingredients are good for your dog will help you make a more educated decision when it comes to buying food.

Edited by huski

I think learning how to read the side of a packet of dog food is important.

I know someone whose new pup is already having ear problems. She thought she was feeding a gluten free dog food - she wasn't. :laugh:

I can think of another dog who has suffered from dreadful ear infections. Lots of drugs, lots of visits to the vet and the dog was still in a lot of pain. A change of dog food has improved that dog's life greatly. He's not the only dog I know of that's needed a diet change to improve its health.

However, if your dog has constant yeasty infected ears and skin complaints then its time to start looking at what he/she's eating.

absolutely agree. my dog started having allergies & yeasty infections so i had to work out what the problem was. found a kibble that worked and I will not change it without a great deal of thought.

i get concerned when someone asks about food and right off the bat someone will start with the "perfect" food and then insinuate that if you aren't feeding this you are a bad owner. this type of attitude puts people off from asking other questions that may help a dog in need.

a lot of things need to be taken into account when feeding a dog, including the family finances and even though some people don't want to acknowledge this it is the truth.

i would rather a dog be fed on cheaper food and have a loving home where it was excercised, stimulated, taught, and was part of the family than be fed an expensive and/or exclusive diet and left in the backyard for years with nothing to look forward to except the food.

Don't you just love the food debates. :laugh:

Every single food topic turns into a bash the commercial food thread or supermarket brands and or bash the Vets or breeders who sometimes suggest them.

Some people need to jump in every time, but the facts are that not everyone is prepared or is even in a position to spend their life researching how to feed their dog.

Many people here are totally and passionately absorbed by their dogs, fine, that is all good, but for a huge number owning a dog is simply an enjoyable part of their lives, that is good too.

Dogs can and do live quite happily and healthily on commercial foods, so if that doesn't sit well with some they need to get over it. Dogs live till ripe old ages eating supermarket foods, get over that too. I don't feed supercoat but have neighbours who have a very fit and healthy Rottie that thrives on the stuff, he did very badly on a raw diet and it frustrated them, they tried on the of the gold plated premium super brands it didn't suit, so understandably they went back to what he did well on, I wouldn't feed it, most here wouldn't, but the dog is doing great and has for some years, are they wrong? Some here would say yes, but the dog is happy and they are happy.

Why do Vets tend to recommend commercial diets for animals? easy, owner compliance.

Ever tried to explain a homemade renal diet to a client? You lose most after 1 minute.

Same with obesity diets, allergy diets, intestinal issues etc etc.

Like it or not we live in a world where people are impatient and have little time to spare, you try and explain to a mum with 3 kids in tow , and a husband who expects dinner now that she has to feed this this and this, and not feed that. Dog will be back in 2 weeks same issues. Make it easy, make it safe and owner compliance is better.

I am one of the silly ones, I spend the time playing around with diets and reading and trying until we get it right for the animal, I have the time, and the interest because animals is what I do, it is how I earn my living, it is how I spend my life. My animals come first. Not everyone is the same. They are not wrong, they just do it different.

Many Breeders also recommend things for the same reasons, make it easy, make it readily available and send the pup home with a broad palate that prevents too many dietary hiccups early on. No use insisting on only feeding brand X, then sending a pup out to the boonies where brand X has never been heard of let alone stocked. That happens too, and it is no wonder the new owners get confused and frustrated, and puppy gets the runs and it all ends in tears.

It doesn't have to be so hard guys, it doesn't have to be an exact science, it doesn't have to be a who is right and who is wrong topic.

I agree, tolerance is a wonderful attribute. Well put.

(I do enjoy reading many of the debates tho and have learned sum stuff I didn't know and use what suits and toss what doesn't)

I sometimes wonder how dogs ever survived years ago before all this research etc. became a necessity to owning a dog. Early days Pal was the absolute best you could feed! Meat from the knackery, dry food and family left overs, many show dogs and pets thrived on that. Pups were weaned on Farex, Weetbix, milk with Pentavite added. There didn't seem to be the amount of allergies etc. around then either. None of the monthly flea/worm etc treatments either. Your dog picked up a few fleas, you bathed in a flea treatment, washed the bedding and surrounds in the same stuff. Could be a case of too much information? I stay out of the food debates, don't want to get into trouble lol.

JB:

i would rather a dog be fed on cheaper food and have a loving home where it was excercised, stimulated, taught, and was part of the family than be fed an expensive and/or exclusive diet and left in the backyard for years with nothing to look forward to except the food.

Couldn't agree more. However, from reading all the food threads here, it seems that there are lower priced dog foods (not the generic supermarket stuff) that are very good. Great Barko? seems to be a good one.

Great post Crisovar - the food threads often scare me away :thumbsup:

It reminds me of the horrified discussions of parents who find out so and so lets their child eat/drink something they dont approve of. It can quickly become emotive.

I think learning how to read the side of a packet of dog food is important.

Agree 100%. I do this for my human family, it only makes sense to do it for the fur kid.

From my own painful experience I know how food allergies/intollerances can impact on your health so am always reading labels :) .