Tick Treatment

oceanaussi

I know there're a few topics about this but they were all too old, I couldn't reply to any.

I used Interceptor & Advantix previously and just run out and have to order new stuff. I don't want to use Advantix anymore as both of my dogs were unusual lethargic for a couple of days after application and I've heard the same from several people, so too risky to use it (who knows of the long-term problems).

I actually haven't had a tick on them since I moved out here but it is a scrubby cattle area so maybe I just been lucky so far. Anyway I'm not going to risk anything. I'm on a bit of a budget as well in the moment, so I cannot afford anything to expensive. I was thinking of changing over to Sentinel & Frontline Plus Spray. Does anyone has any comments about the spray compared to the spot on treatment? Is there anywhere where I can get it online? Normally buy at Priceless Pets.

I don't want to use a Tick Collar and I have a lot of problems keeping my dogs dry (they LOVE to swim), so I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

I haven't used the frontline spray. If you are looking for a cheaper product there is Permoxin. It's in a concentrate form so it lasts quite a while. I used to use it on our horses until I found a better product for them, and have used it on the dogs. The only down side I suppose is that you have to spray or rinse the dogs weekly.

If you thought your dogs reacted badly to Advantix then I wouldn't use Permoxin as it's the same main ingredient.

To be honest I think you would be incredibly unlucky to have both dogs react to Advantix and think *maybe* there were other factors at play.

Frontline spray is better than the top spot in that it actually works. Although you have to be careful in application as you can't miss a spot as ticks can and will attach in that one small spot you missed (apparently).

I use Proban for cats and Advantix for dogs which has worked well for me.

who knows of the long-term problems

Who knows for any of the products really. They're all poisons, so they're all pretty bad - but the alternative is even worse. :laugh:

Proban, Proban, Proban

I am down at Samford. Frontline and Advantix are not cutting it this year.

I had two dogs down at the vet at the beginning of the season and they were on Advantix. Very nearly lost one of them - she was too young to go on Proban at being only 10 weeks old. Proban is more expensive than the other two and can be a pain in the butt to administer..(It is one tablet/10kg fed at same time on alternate days. ) but much cheaper than $500 vet bills (that was then by 2 dogs)

We have not had ticks on the property here for the past 17 years. This is the first year we have had them.

Permoxin only lasts a couple of days. Would not rely on it. It is the same as Fidos Free Itch concentrate. Only lasts up to three days (or there abouts). I know of a few people who have used these products and had a tick on the dog that afternoon and it has done nothing.

Permoxin and Fido's is great to wash the dog in while on Proban as you cannot use the products like Malaban and Maldacin which is the same poison as proban. You cannot also use a tick collar while using proban or Maldacin wash. Maldacin lasts up to 7 days. (Notice Up to claim - on label)

That will work out verrrrrrry expensive.

It doesn't last long, you need a certain amount of pumps per kilo. I would hazard a guess it would end up costing more than the Proban on a tick dosage (every 2nd day).

I would find another, more cost effective spray that doesn't contain Permethrin. Perhaps you would be better off with a Pyrethrin.

Edited by Clyde

Permoxin - that's what we used in Qld, and is quite cheap. Especially if your dogs are swimming every day. Apply it every 3rd day. But really when it comes to ticks, you're better off using more than 1 form of coverage ie Permoxin & a tick collar, Proban & Advantix etc. Only problem with Permoxin (as with Fido's Fre Itch & Advantix) is that if you have cats, don't let them near the dogs for a day after application. It will kill the cat.

To control the worms/heartworm Milbemax once a month, and fleas, Advantage once a month.

-WithEverythingIAm

Edited by witheverythingiam

Permoxin - that's what we used in Qld, and is quite cheap. Especially if your dogs are swimming every day. Apply it every 3rd day. But really when it comes to ticks, you're better off using more than 1 form of coverage ie Permoxin & a tick collar, Proban & Advantix etc.

OP has said that her dogs reacted to Advantix. Permoxin and Advantix = same ingredient.

As a side note: According to Dermcare Permoxin binds instantly so is safe for cats to be around sprayed/rinsed dogs straight away. Unless the cat is an obsessive licker of the dog it's fine. The cat won't drop dead if it goes near your dog.

Edited by Clyde

Priceless pets at Kedron sells Proban 100 tablets for $52. I think it is about $5.50 for postage. Likewise other online vet places sell it for similar prices.

If your dogs are swimming daily, the stuff you put on the coat will go straight into the dam or whatever they are swimming in. Poison in water wayn (just because it is natural does not mean its not poison to aquatic life) Not good. Not to mention you are throwing money away there with it being washed off. Fidos/Permoxin only lasts up to three days WITHOUT swimming to wash it off. Frontline states on the bottle the efficiency wears off with dogs swimming/baths. Likewise for tick collars. All these products can take up to a week to work through the coat of the dog (says so on the packet).

Those products you are relying on the barrier being in the coat and on the skin. Dogs swimming will naturally wash much of it off. If you are going to use those products then I would strongly suggest you stop your dogs from swimming as much as they do.

I had your attitude at the beginning of the tick season here (somewhat complacence because we never had a tick here for 17 years) then bang.. two ticks on two dogs within two weeks of each other and horrendous vet bills as a result.

/Permoxin only lasts up to three days WITHOUT swimming to wash it off.

Trials show Permoxin lasts for 13 days for ticks however they advertise it as lasting for 7.

I agree re. the Proban though. It's very good for fleas too. I had a problem with fleas on just one of my cats and tried everything. Proban has been the only successful product although it did take about 2 weeks to take effect.

Well, I don't know... So Proban I give 1 tab every 2nd day per 10kg? That would work out 100 tabs per month. Not sure if I want to do this out of several reasons....

If you are concerned about what products you use on your dogs you need to be aware that Probans ingredient

is Cythioate which is an organophosphate, also be very careful what other chemicals you use on your animal when using this pesticide.

Edited by Crisovar

Well, I don't know... So Proban I give 1 tab every 2nd day per 10kg? That would work out 100 tabs per month. Not sure if I want to do this out of several reasons....

If you are concerned about what products you use on your dogs you need to be aware that Probans ingredient

is Cythioate which is an organophosphate, also be very careful what other chemicals you use on your animal when using this pesticide.

Are you able to explain further?

Some tick products contain organophosphate which is basically a pestacide. The Bayer brand tick collar is another that contains the same chemical. (One saying was, do not use two green label products). Malaban, Maldacin also are organophosphate based. You cannot double up on these products.

Other flea and tick products use pryethan based (suppose you can say natural loosly)

The pestacide based products last longer (and do a better job) than the pryethan based products. You just have to be aware of their contents and be careful not do double up what you are giving them. Pestacide based products have been around longer and have been used on animals all their life without causing the animal harm. (excluding individual cases of allergic type reactions).

It comes down to what protection you want to give your animal. If you are in chronic tick area, then you need and want the best product to prevent your animal from succumbing to tick.

Between the three dogs I have here, I go through a 100 tablet bottle of Proban a month too. $52/month is cheaper than $500 vet bills (and I got off lightly there). Advantix/Frontline is about the same price (Frontline Plus 6 pack $54.00 for 10-20kg, $57.10 20-40kg) for a six pack if you buy it online.. For ticks you have to use it every two weeks.. It works out only slightly cheaper.

It is also not rated as I will say effective for lack of better words than Proban, as like I said previously you are relying on a barrier at coat/skin level to repel and kill ticks. Whereas Proban is within the system and in the blood, so when a tick bites it dies.

So:

Proban + Bayer Tick Collar No

Proban + Wash in Fidos Free itch or other herbal washes Yes

Bayer Tick Collar and washing in Maldacin No

Advantix/Frontline + Proban Yes but not needed as Proban also does fleas

Frontline/Advantix + Fidos Free Itch Yes

Squeak,

I have never used Revolution as it is cheaper for me to treat my dogs separately for ticks, heartworm and fleas. If the active ingredient is an organic phosphate then no you could not. I dont think it does contain it, but best either read the packet or ask your vet.

Out of interest, I was at Vet Products Direct today and spoke to the vet owner there.. Permoxin is only 3 days. His advice was if the dogs were swimming regularly he would not trust Frontline Plus/Advantix/collars for the effective treatment of ticks as the effectiveness dramatically drops.

On a side note.. I turned up at the wrong time.. Channel Nine Brisbane Extra programme was shooting a segment.. I happen to accidently be on there with two border collies

Perhaps have a look at "Proban" - it is a tablet which is given every other day.

Proban is very effective, but used long term, it does cause liver damage.

Permoxin is cheap and works well, but it will wash off if the dogs are swimming. I use it, and am happy with it.