The Official March Challenge Thread

ruthless

ruthless, love the chopper photos, he is such a handsome man.

thanks rocco and staffylove, Im wasting many an hour playing in PS :rofl:

and staffylove, :laugh: the gnome does look a bit daunting in that shot, :( but he is harmless, always asleep. :)

Magicmine, :laugh: aww how cute is your little elf? :rofl: The beach photo is very serene.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Darien :laugh:

You know I have never seen an Abacus before,(not counting the toy ones) very cool :laugh:

Lovely collection of books there, looks like an avid reader.

Yes we have a chilli plant, and my husband loves nothing better than to trick me into eating some. Whoooowowow...hot hot. :laugh:

Bindi - I'm still loving your treatments! That must take ages - looks great!

I'm skipping G for now because it's a gift for someone who might see it and I want to make sure it arrives before the photo goes up :laugh:

H is for Hoik...as in hoiking up some spit to make this nest!

IMG_2775.jpg

I'm skipping G for now because it's a gift for someone who might see it and I want to make sure it arrives before the photo goes up :D

Aw, you shouldn't have :wave::laugh:

Now, what in the name of God is that thing? :laugh: It's a great picture, but I definitely don't think I'd want to get that close to it!!!

Bindi I can see a real improvement in your work, well done! :laugh:

bindi-boo - I'm loving your textures! :laugh:

ruthless - love your "B" and "G" :) ... and Angel is gorgeous - love those shots! ... nice chopper chop shots as well :laugh:

j - I like your "carny" (The Simpson's episode tonight was the one with the carny Cooder's) shots, the x-ray has me stumped so what was it?

rocco - so funny seeing Ralph up so high, he looks a little like he is dressed in boxes which makes him pretty tall and long-legged :wave: ... and rocco "D" deep in thought is really well done too!

kja - love your "F" shots, really nice work :) ... that "H" shot is so clear and sharp!!! brilliant

lea - lovely "dangerous dawg"

iltby - your "B" blue eye shot makes me smile :)

I feel quite inferior with my shots so far, and last month too, I think I need Chester to make me look good :D

I'm a bit lost on PP - my skill level is just not up to scratch, and I get really tired on the extra fine details (edges etc) :mad

"B" is for ball obsessed

throwitthrowitthrowitthrowitthrowitthrowitthrowitthrowitthro

witthrowitthrowitthrowitthrowitthrowitthrowitthrowitthrowitt

h

rowitthrowitthrowit

3324438945_37f0cea24b.jpg

and just to show that there is a ball ... there's this pic

3324438539_384bc27d19.jpg

and

"C" is for catch

3324440413_1b389981b7.jpg

oh, and I've been using Av but I'm not liking it :( ... I'm so used to manual, Av sorta feels like going backwards :laugh:

edited to vertical

Edited by Clicking Mad

Ruthless - it's a wasp thing :laugh:

Clicking - LOL I wouldn't bother with Av if you are already shooting manual! It can come in handy, I'm told, but I'm so used to M that I don't bother with Av at all :laugh: You're also not the only one not spending hours on PP, don't worry! I admire those who are and one day I hope to learn how to do all that, too.

I love the "throwitthrowit..."!! And the catch series is awesome!! One thing I'd add...go Vertical, Girl!

Edited by kja

Bindi - I'm still loving your treatments! That must take ages - looks great!

I'm skipping G for now because it's a gift for someone who might see it and I want to make sure it arrives before the photo goes up :laugh:

H is for Hoik...as in hoiking up some spit to make this nest!

IMG_2775.jpg

That is reallt gross!

But a great photo.

BB, well done with the birds, you did a great job.

M is manual - it means that you manually control all settings. With Av you set the aperture and the camera does the rest, in manual you have to set everything yourself.

PP is post processing. All the nifty photoshop stuff and textures.

:laugh:

Clicking - LOL I wouldn't bother with Av if you are already shooting manual! It can come in handy, I'm told, but I'm so used to M that I don't bother with Av at all :laugh: You're also not the only one not spending hours on PP, don't worry! I admire those who are and one day I hope to learn how to do all that, too.

I love the "throwitthrowit..."!! And the catch series is awesome!! One thing I'd add...go Vertical, Girl!

I just changed it to vertical, though I think you mean and I should be taking the shot in vertical ... next time :laugh:

Yeh, I think I'm going to go back to manual - Av seems to overexpose a lot for me? plus, I like my dark shots :laugh:

thanks bindi- boo - glad you can see her intensity, it's hard to know whether that comes across as well as I see it, since I know what she's like and the fact that I'm holding onto a ball ... iykwim?

M is where you control your aperture (for depth of field) and shutter speed (to stop action etc). Both of these control how much light you let in and the brighter a scene is, the less light you need. So 1/800 shutter speed will let in way less light than 1/100, for instance. Just as f2.8 will let in way more light than f16 will. Your shallowest depth of field (the bits in focus) will be at the widest aperture...2.8 has a very shallow depth of field; f16 has a far great depth of field.

In M, you also control your ISO (Auto mode does not let you, P mode does). ISO is the sensitivity. 100 needs more light for a scene to be exposed correctly; 1000 needs less light so is used in very dark scenes. There is more noise at high ISOs. Noise is the "grain" type effect you see.

PP is short for post processing. It can include all of the cool toning and textures some use or it can be just the basics like contrast, white balance etc. It's also cropping and straightening and rotating. converting to web size... If you are shooting jpeg, your camera does some PP in camera. If you are shooting RAW, you choose all of the PP you want done after you shoot. Always start with the best image you can before you pp :laugh:

Av has been suggested for this challenge to help people start moving towards controlling the final image. Basically, it eliminates one variable and gives you a constant so you can see what changing the others will do to your image.

Whew...hope that wasn't too much to fit in the nutshell it was meant to be!