The Official March Challenge Thread

ruthless

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Av mode is suggested for those who have been too scared to venture outside the realm of P mode or Auto mode. It is to teach the functions of the camera little by little.

If you are already shooting in manual mode and feel you have a decent grasp in Av mode, there is no reason for you to keep shooting in Av. :whiteflag:

pointeeblab - oo another pretty cat :laugh:

same Catteh. :laugh: I've only got one.

Love Chester blowing bubbles.. that's a crack up!

was meaning the 2 cat pics today before yours :laugh:

Av mode is suggested for those who have been too scared to venture outside the realm of P mode or Auto mode. It is to teach the functions of the camera little by little.

If you are already shooting in manual mode and feel you have a decent grasp in Av mode, there is no reason for you to keep shooting in Av. :vomit:

understood :whiteflag:

just figured I'd give Av a go since I hadn't used it - I kinda went from auto to manual in one move/day :banghead: ... and I've heard manual users still use Av on occassion????

I'll use Av mode when shooting wedding ceremonies. Depending on where I move during a ceremony, the light can be completely different from the place I was in two seconds ago. If I was shooting in manual I would be constantly metering and changing my settings. So for ceremonies, I set it to Av, if it's inside a dark church I'll have the camera on 800-1000 ISO, open the lens up to it's widest aperture to let in as much light as possible (on my 50mm, it's 1.4). Then I let the camera work out the rest. It saves me from having to change settings over and over.

I just have a bad habit of forgetting to put the iso back down to 400 when the ceremony is finished and we head outside. :whiteflag:

I absoluely love Av...I was shooting on Tv all the time and Tess suggested I try using Av and I'm totally converted. I should give M a go when I'm a bit more confident.

4 from me today :whiteflag: -

M for menacing-

IMG_24302.jpg

G for gnawing-

IMG_2434.jpg

S for stallion...not really but it's more creative than 'horse' :banghead: -

IMG_2443-1.jpg

And B for broken-down backpackers. This one was a very spur of the moment shot; Mum and I had been out having a coffee and dropped by Echo Point on the way home as she wanted to take some sunset shots. When we got there there was a broken down Range Rover in the middle of the round-a-bout - the car's battery had died and the people driving it had been there for ages trying to get a jump start. The poor people had asked 30 cars for help and none had any cables. We didn't have any either so we called Dad to come and help and I chatted to them meanwhile. Turns out they were traveling around Australia together - the woman on the left was German, the man in the middle was Spanish and the man on the right was French - they'd been to Brissy, Melbourne and Tas before they made their way up here. The Spanish guy was really lovely, he was a photographer too...took a nice shot of me but I didn't give him my email address :rasberry: I wanted a portrait of him taking a drag on his cigarette but he kept taking it out when I went to take a shot-

IMG_2513.jpg

Edited by iltby

do the drool!!! I wanna see chopchop drooling - mine is like "D" as in "doesn't drool" anyway :whiteflag:

I did the drool! :banghead: I prefer yours of Chester though! I was using a biscuit. I think I'd have more success if it was a proper meal. I may revisit this :rasberry:

D is Dribbly Drool

3327415107_6d7afd1fe6.jpg

E is for Ears ... we don't call her The Flying Nun for nothin'!

3327423153_3a0523e97a.jpg

Edited by ruthless

Thanks once again for the feedback guys! I quite liked the movement in the hand in the pat photo :whiteflag:

Lea, really stunning landscape! Love the contrast between the green of the tree and blue of the hills behind it.

Rocco, very cute cat shot, love the PP too.

SL, awesome A concept! Love the reflections.

Kja, another nice cat portrait :banghead:

CM, absolutely love that first shot of Jamie, too! And the drooling shot of Chester is absolutely priceless :laugh: What a great capture.

Clover, love the shot of happy Harri :rasberry:

Blab, lovely DOF in that cat shot! Really cute photo :laugh:

Nik, love the teeth shot, they look like a mirror image :laugh: Hiding is insanely cute, too.

Ruth, love your drool shot, too :vomit: Chopper looks so sooky in it.

TerraNik, I love the Darkness one the best. I love the light!

Iltby, great story about the travelers, good on you for stopping to help :love: Your photos are lovely, I especially like the barb wire and the travelers.

Ruthless, :laugh: you are a mean mummy! both photos are great.

I absoluely love Av...I was shooting on Tv all the time and Tess suggested I try using Av and I'm totally converted. I should give M a go when I'm a bit more confident.

4 from me today :love: -

IMG_2513.jpg

This one is fantastic!! great portrait

My photo's are a bit uncreative and boring at the moment. :love: I thought I would use this month for a technical practice of learning apertures, DOF and low light. :laugh:

B_Bug Catcher _ Playing around with low light settings.

3328418786_f8963a9724.jpg

E_Eyes

3327584411_ce73eb4548.jpg

H_Handsome..... a tad bias I know. :laugh: He was suppose to sit away from the window, but with The Roc you take what you can get.

3328842395_97de239637.jpg

Edited by Rocco1

terranik - terrific terrifying teeth :rofl: ... and I really like the one on the steps in the dark too :thumbsup:

iltby - I love the travellers pic, really nice light! and good for you to help 'em out :D

ruthless - aw look at Chopper, I wouldn't've gotten much drool out of Chester with a biscuit but that bubble is surprisingly common when I make 'em wait longer than a minute or 2 for dinner, not sure how he does it :rofl: ... and we had the same "E" idea too ... yours made me laugh out loud Trixie is so cute with her flying nun ears :) ... does she just offer that pose, or did you make some funny noise to get that look?

rocco - wow! I love those whiskers in the first Calvin, just fantastic!!! ... Roc is handsome. That photographic room seems to be getting a good work-out :(

Just to take away any confusion about Jamie ... "G" is for girl ... this shot is a little blurry 'cause she wouldn't stay on her back like this, the only way I could get this shot was with her "roll-over" trick ;)

3329784826_53c7421aa4.jpg

and "H" is for hoodie ... Chester's which is a little big for Jamie and she doesn't really like having her ears squashed or something ... it was cold enough for it though

3329785216_a93b6baf87.jpg

couldn't decide between the backgrounds? ...

... but I'm tempted to add this shot as my "M" as in moustache ... I've never noticed that before :eek:

3329786586_7d8a925116.jpg

:D

ruthless - aw look at Chopper, I wouldn't've gotten much drool out of Chester with a biscuit but that bubble is surprisingly common when I make 'em wait longer than a minute or 2 for dinner, not sure how he does it :thumbsup: ... and we had the same "E" idea too ... yours made me laugh out loud Trixie is so cute with her flying nun ears :rofl: ... does she just offer that pose, or did you make some funny noise to get that look?

I got a bubble with Chops yesterday too, but it was out of focus and his head was turned so I had to bin it. I was so upset!

That's Trixie's "I'll have what you're having" face :( I used to try and get pricked ears shots of her with a squeaky toy, but I noticed recently that she can sense food been consumed from the other end of the house and she'll come and slowly sit down beside you with the ears like that! It's hard not to laugh :rofl: So, I just used another biscuit for her when I was done with Chops!

and "H" is for hoodie ... Chester's which is a little big for Jamie and she doesn't really like having her ears squashed or something ... it was cold enough for it though

I love that pic, it's so incredibly cute!!!