Roo Tail

Is a roo tail something that a dog can eat as part of their dinner, and will eat it quickly (eg like a chicken frame)?

Or is it more of a food they will work on for a few days?

Will they eat the bone as well, or just the meat?

Edited by Baby Dragon

Thanks guys :cool:

So there are vertebrae in them? Should I be worried he might seperate them and choke on one???

He's a Lab sized dog that thinks it's a race to eat his dinner. He normally has chicken frames and large chicken wings with no problems, but will swallow necks whole so he doesn't get those anymore. I thought a roo tail would be nice and big for him, but if the vertebrae come apart into chunks of bone, then maybe it wouldn't be good for him?

Thanks for any advice :)

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

So there are vertebrae in them? Should I be worried he might seperate them and choke on one???

He's a Lab sized dog that thinks it's a race to eat his dinner. He normally has chicken frames and large chicken wings with no problems, but will swallow necks whole so he doesn't get those anymore. I thought a roo tail would be nice and big for him, but if the vertebrae come apart into chunks of bone, then maybe it wouldn't be good for him?

Thanks for any advice :thumbsup:

My border collies cope well with roo segments. The bits we get are normally cut into about 10cm lengths so consist of several vetebrae. Piper gets through hers in about half an hour, bone and all. Jazz takes about double that. They are a good chewimg meal for them.

Where do you get your roo tail segments from Piper - something that might take Ness longer than 5 minutes to eat would be worth the trip :thumbsup: . Although it would then probably take Kenzie a few hours.

So there are vertebrae in them?

:thumbsup:

ermm.. yep!

same as a dog's tail, or a person's coccyx.. they are an extension of the spine..

providing lengths are long enough, he should just chew and chew. freeze them if you're concerned, perhaps.

Where do you get your roo tail segments from Piper - something that might take Ness longer than 5 minutes to eat would be worth the trip :thumbsup: . Although it would then probably take Kenzie a few hours.

A pet food place in Elizabeth although for the past month or so they haven't had any which is a bugger as it is nice to give them something different and they are not overly expensive plus Piper LOVES them.

Hi Ness!

Macro Meats. They do tails and spines - I got spines last time. They are huge but break in half fairly easily and I would imagine you could separate them more with a sharp knife. They have a lot of meat on them, although quite expensive....................$1.50 / kg :thumbsup::laugh::rofl: You do need to order them - I called in the morning and they had them ready for me by 1pm.

Trish :mad

Thanks everyone, it went fine. I didn't get to freeze it in the end because it had already been frozen and defrosted.

He ate it in about 15 mins and chewed it pretty daintily. I was a bit worried at the end with the last bit, but he didn't try to scoff it or anything.

:cry:

The pugs take a few hours to get through a roo tail.

I wish the would come in halfs.

I chop mine up with a tomahawk, buy them whole and then chop them up into smaller sizes so she can have a piece every day rather than one every 3 days and nothing in between.

Darcy's favourite job is cleaning up the chopping block when I'm done. :cry:

Edited by Jess.

I chop mine up with a tomahawk, buy them whole and then chop them up into smaller sizes so she can have a piece every day rather than one every 3 days and nothing in between.

:rofl: This is exactly what I used to do for my Pet Dobe. Almost worthy of incorporation is a Hostel movie. :) When my Vizsla gets a bit older I'll hopefully get her eating roo tails because I think they have to rank as amongst the healthiest meat available. Dogs with chomping power get through them fairly promptly. We used to get ours from the local pet barn.

The pugs take a few hours to get through a roo tail.

I wish the would come in halfs.

Yeah I tried the meat cleaver and that didn't work so got out a saw and managed to saw through the bone but it was a disgusting thing to do.

Roo tails are excellent and depending on the jaw power of your dog it can take 15 minutes or hours to devour.

We have Labs and they get roo tail as part of thier evening meal at least twice a week. Our boy chomps them up in about 10 minutes but he has extremely powerful jaws and chomps up huge bones to nothing.

The girls take a little longer and one of our girls likes to savour her bones so she takes it to bed and lingers over it.