The Barf Diet That I Prepare For My Stafford..

:hug: I love these threads.

For the record my Stafford is fed fresh foods but his are cooked because he is on an anti cancer diet - so no raw bones (and no cooked ones) but plenty of organic meats and a very small amout of veg (usually pumpkin/sweet potato and zucchini/spinach). He also has cottage cheese, yoghurt, flax oil, vitamin C and other supplements.

As few carbs as possible because carbs feed cancer

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<ITS QUIET BLOODY OBVIOUS MEMBERS AT THIS FORUM ARE TOTALY AGAINST BARF DIETS, IVE YET TO SEE A WILD DOG OR WOLF USE A CAN OPENER OR USE SCISSORS OR A KNIFE TO OPEN RACKETED DOG FOODS.>

Ummm excuse me?!! I thought BARF was bones and raw foods. Generally bones figure largely in BARF..... No need to be so rude :laugh: And I have fed BARF for years.

Yes bones are included in barf diet, i just prefer not to give my dogs hard beef bones as they can cause teeth damage, bowel blockage etc...

Must be a lot of wolves and wild dogs wandering around out there with bleeding gums and blocked bowels? :hug:

Perhaps they eat mangoes to help them digest the bones better?

Oh dear! :hug::hug::hug:

Perhaps they eat mangoes to help them digest the bones better?

Yes i read someone they do but first they have to buy all of the arborist gear to climb up the trees.

They also have to buy a food processor to puree the mangoes too! :laugh:

If I fed my Staffy spinach every day, she wouldn't need walking.....as she would be a jet propelled farting machine. :hug::hug: Just take out the front, let her go and she would speed round the block in no time, without her feet touching the ground. The only thing that may slow her down would be when she turns around to look at her bum, to see where that funny noise is coming from. :hug::hug:

Plus all the iron in spinach = possible kidney stones! :laugh:

:hug:

Oh dear.

Well, im one of the evil ones who uses dry food OMG!!! How dare i?

and guess what? i have 2 healthy dogs, and 3 healthy cats who do fine on it. they all get fresh meat and bones, but dry is the bulk of the food.

Who really cares what you feed? As long as the animal is doing well on it.

Aussie Stafford

Generally everyone has their own opinion on what dogs should or shouldn’t eat. If your dog is fit and healthy on his diet and has no health problems I would keep on doing what you are doing.

Everyone has their own views! I would NEVER disclose what my Bubby actually eats! I would be flamed to death! :hug:

Plus all the iron in spinach = possible kidney stones! :hug:

Yep - oxalic acid. I wont feed it to my lot.

Me neither, as Danni will 'clear a room' with certain veges. It's like a rugby scrum with everyone trying to get through the door at the same time and her sitting there looking innocent..."Who? Me?" :hug:

Me neither, as Danni will 'clear a room' with certain veges. It's like a rugby scrum with everyone trying to get through the door at the same time and her sitting there looking innocent..."Who? Me?" :hug:

A bit like brussel sprouts, really. If I bring those home, the dogs AND the husband run for their lives :hug:

ITS QUIET BLOODY OBVIOUS MEMBERS AT THIS FORUM ARE TOTALY AGAINST BARF DIETS, IVE YET TO SEE A WILD DOG OR WOLF USE A CAN OPENER OR USE SCISSORS OR A KNIFE TO OPEN RACKETED DOG FOODS.

How lovely, a newbie being rude. And your point is???????

ITS QUIET BLOODY OBVIOUS MEMBERS AT THIS FORUM ARE TOTALY AGAINST BARF DIETS, IVE YET TO SEE A WILD DOG OR WOLF USE A CAN OPENER OR USE SCISSORS OR A KNIFE TO OPEN RACKETED DOG FOODS.

How lovely, a newbie being rude. And your point is???????

Wait for the - this forum is horrible and everyone is always horrible to newbies :hug:

Not too sure what your beef is?, as a new member to these forums perhaps you should lie low rather than sticking your neck out :laugh:

It seems that his/her 'beef' is bones?

Now that makes sense...doesn't it? :hug::hug:

:hug::hug::laugh: and 'racketed' food

Would pointing out that tomato isn't very good for dogs be newbie bashing??

probably- but you can explain it to me :hug:

Hamlet eats tomato every day--- it's about the only veg he eats.. he will steal them!

What is in them to cause problems? :hug:

Would pointing out that tomato isn't very good for dogs be newbie bashing??

probably- but you can explain it to me :hug:

Hamlet eats tomato every day--- it's about the only veg he eats.. he will steal them!

What is in them to cause problems? :hug:

Yep. Tomatoes are members of the nightshade family. From Google:

Tomatoes (plant and fruit) contain tomatine, an alkaloid related to solanine. As the fruit ripens, the tomatine is metabolized. Therefore, ripe tomatoes are less likely to be problematic for animals. Clinical signs of poisoning include lethargy, drooling, difficulty breathing, colic, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, widely-dilated pupils, paralysis, cardiac effects, central nervous system signs (e.g., ataxia, muscle weakness, tremors, seizures), resulting from cholinesterase inhibition, coma and death. (This information comes from veterinarians, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.) (All parts of the plant except the tomato itself are poisonous to humans, although some people are sensitive to the ripe fruit also.)

Tomatoes also contain atropine, which can cause dilated pupils, tremors, and heart arrhythmias. The highest concentration of atropine is found in the leaves and stems of tomato plants, with less in unripe (green) tomatoes, and even less in ripe (red) tomatoes.

Ripe ones are better than green ones but I'd still not recommend feeding it on a daily basis. Plants and stems are a definite no go.