The Barf Diet That I Prepare For My Stafford..

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine just eat cats and small children :hug:

:hug: Good meat to bone ratio in those small children, Ruth

Generally both meat sources are free range too. :hug:

yeah but children eat a lot of junk food, don't know that I would want my dogs eating them, thank of the nasties in the liver

Mine just eat cats and small children :hug:

:hug: Good meat to bone ratio in those small children, Ruth

Generally both meat sources are free range too. :hug:

yeah but children eat a lot of junk food, don't know that I would want my dogs eating them, thank of the nasties in the liver

That's why it's good to get the children from the little athletics groups at your local oval. They're much more gamier...

, thank of the nasties in the liver

Liver is OK if eaten with fava beans and a nice drop of chianti thsthsthsths

My girls don't like liver. I tried to feed it to Poppy one time and she put it in her mouth and spat it straight out again and gave me a death stare like how dare I give her that horrible food haha

I'll have the wine though :hug:

My girls don't like liver. I tried to feed it to Poppy one time and she put it in her mouth and spat it straight out again and gave me a death stare like how dare I give her that horrible food haha

I'll have the wine though :hug:

:hug: :hug: Daisy spits it out too! In fact none of the dogs like it. I have to chop it up really finely and hide it in the BARF mix I make to get any offal into them!

Would pointing out that tomato isn't very good for dogs be newbie bashing??

probably- but you can explain it to me :hug:

Hamlet eats tomato every day--- it's about the only veg he eats.. he will steal them!

What is in them to cause problems? :hug:

Yep. Tomatoes are members of the nightshade family. From Google:

Tomatoes (plant and fruit) contain tomatine, an alkaloid related to solanine. As the fruit ripens, the tomatine is metabolized. Therefore, ripe tomatoes are less likely to be problematic for animals. Clinical signs of poisoning include lethargy, drooling, difficulty breathing, colic, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, widely-dilated pupils, paralysis, cardiac effects, central nervous system signs (e.g., ataxia, muscle weakness, tremors, seizures), resulting from cholinesterase inhibition, coma and death. (This information comes from veterinarians, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.) (All parts of the plant except the tomato itself are poisonous to humans, although some people are sensitive to the ripe fruit also.)

Tomatoes also contain atropine, which can cause dilated pupils, tremors, and heart arrhythmias. The highest concentration of atropine is found in the leaves and stems of tomato plants, with less in unripe (green) tomatoes, and even less in ripe (red) tomatoes.

Ripe ones are better than green ones but I'd still not recommend feeding it on a daily basis. Plants and stems are a definite no go.

A lot of premium quality kibble contain tomato pumice. Is that bad as well?

That's just disgusting. Who serves Chianti with liver? I always serve with a dry white. :hug:

Mine just eat cats and small children

HOW BLOODY DARE YOU..........there are NO vegetables in that diet! Read the book vegetables must be part of the diet. You're obviously don't care about your dogs! :hug:

:hug::hug::hug:

Mine just eat cats and small children

HOW BLOODY DARE YOU..........there are NO vegetables in that diet! Read the book vegetables must be part of the diet. You're obviously don't care about your dogs! :mad

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Au contraire! The young gamey children from the oval are raised on fresh vegies, so my dogs get their RDI from eating the contents of their stomach ;)

I note that the OP adopted her dog as an adult. All jokes aside, I shudder to think of raising a pup on such a diet. As already pointed out, theire is very little bone in this diet and lack of bone would create calcium deficiencies and an excess of phosphorus.

As already pointed out, theire is very little bone in this diet and lack of bone would create calcium deficiencies and an excess of phosphorus.

Not to mention way too much red cordial in the kids that Ruth serves her dogs. *shudder*