Herding Ht

We had our first sheep trial for the yaer today and Coole got his first advanced A pass with 84 :thumbsup:

He stuffed up the cast and split his sheep (too much shedding practice :)) so lost 9 points there and 3 on the z shute because the sheep were reluctant to go to go in with the new black plastic but we lost 0 points on the centre line gates which is where we have been having problems. I am so pleased with my boy.

Sounds good, Janba. Congrats to you and Mr Cole. LOL about the too much shedding practicw. It's hard to keep all the balls in the air, isn't it.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats Janba!

I'm just back from the clinic with Trudi. It was very good, she is a great instructor. Very cluey about dogs in general. We all mainly worked on the basics - balance point, flanks & starting some driving.

Poppy was a good girl. She did most of the exercises well. Wasn't at all thrilled with the yielding exercise though!

The funniest thing was Trudi's face when she saw Poppy. I had forgotten that the borders in the US look a bit different. Trudi was very taken by Poppy look! She liked Amber too but thought that she was an English Shepherd!

Definitely worth doing but I think I am going to be frustrated now as I would like a teacher like that all the time!

We had our first sheep trial for the yaer today and Coole got his first advanced A pass with 84 :thumbsup:

He stuffed up the cast and split his sheep (too much shedding practice :) ) so lost 9 points there and 3 on the z shute because the sheep were reluctant to go to go in with the new black plastic but we lost 0 points on the centre line gates which is where we have been having problems. I am so pleased with my boy.

Way to go Janba and Cole! That is a huge brag.

Congrats Janba!

I'm just back from the clinic with Trudi. It was very good, she is a great instructor. Very cluey about dogs in general. We all mainly worked on the basics - balance point, flanks & starting some driving.

Poppy was a good girl. She did most of the exercises well. Wasn't at all thrilled with the yielding exercise though!

The funniest thing was Trudi's face when she saw Poppy. I had forgotten that the borders in the US look a bit different. Trudi was very taken by Poppy look! She liked Amber too but thought that she was an English Shepherd!

Definitely worth doing but I think I am going to be frustrated now as I would like a teacher like that all the time!

I would have loved to go to that clinic but work and $$ got in the way :thumbsup: I know a couple of South Aussies went and from what I have heard had a great time and learnt lots.

What was the yielding exercise?

The yielding was an exercise to get a nice shaped circle in the flanking and to stop the dog from walking into the flight zone of the sheep. Was done using a plastic bag on the end of a dressage whip. The whip is pointed at the dog's nose and tapped on the ground. Aim being the dog moves away from the bag/pressure. If you are familiar with any natural horsemanship stuff it was very similar to that.

Have a great time Dova! Sure you will. She is really nice. I am sulking that we only get this time with her as I would like permanent lessons. Which dog are you taking? She is very interesting in Coolies!

Oh and hope you get better weather!

Hi Jules, your clinic with Trudi sounded fantastic. Glad you got a lot from it and had a good time.

I am doing the clinic on 14th & 15th and also having a lesson with her next week, so I am really looking forward to it.

I met her last week, she is really lovely.

Will no doubt see you around soon. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you enjoyed the Trudy's clinic Julia. Kate & I have spent the last 3 weeks of Trudy's visit either talking herding with her, training dogs with her & watching her clinics & lessons every single day and the progress the dogs have made in such a short time is amazing. She has provided us with invaluable methods for training herding, a sport/hobby that is so small here compared with in the US. As Trudy said, given the knowledge we had & the limited training opportunities people had in a hobby that is just increasing now, we should be really pleased with what we have acheived. You do the best with the knowledge you have. You should be really pleased with the progress you have made with Poppy. At one time you were ready to quit but now you have a started A title with some pretty decent scores and with the added information Trudy has provided, you now have some things to work towards starting driving & intermediate trial level.

We knew prior to Trudy's visit that some of our methods for training handlers/dogs were missing importants steps. We could teach handlers to pass a Started A course for eg very well but there was difficulty in transitioning from fetching to driving, cleaning up slicing outrungs etc. We weren't a long way off the mark but we definately needed Trudy's experience in giving us a clearer understanding of the steps we missed. In filling in those areas it makes so much sense now .... simple basic training methodology & technique that now sets a solid base for teaching balance, pressure, driving, flanking, outruns, lifts, .... all of those areas that we have encountered problems with.

I think everyone attending the clinics & private lessons with Trudy have been thrilled with the progress their dogs have made and by rethinking simple concepts of balance & pressure alone we now have the ability to practice on and improve our herding skills. I know I can't wait to get out there and herding!!!!

Karen

BISS Gr Ch Lanaken Ruff N Ready HsA HsB (Laekenois)

Hey Jules and Wirey, how are you both?

I also had a wonderful time at Trudy's clinic. I got so much out of it, absolutely fantastic. I still am unsure how I will ever manage one of those slow, controled wide casts, but you never know, we may just get there one day :laugh: I certainly have much better control doing a close outrun :confused:

Will see you on friday Wirey.

Hey dyzney

Don't worry about those slow, controlled wide casts, they will come once you have mastered the yield. I already have Riley casting wide on sheep and on ducks today really calmly, good pace and hits on the pt of balance pretty quickly. I probably got the best flanks Ive had on him on ducks. That was about his 4th time on ducks ever & I'll be entering the started A course in 10 days (OMG!!!) Once you understand the yield happens before movement has even occurred this will set the tone of the flank. You'll be fine and we know your Rottie can do it too.

See you Friday mate

Wirey

So Wirey what was the best thing that you got out of the clinics?

Mmmm so many things I couldn't single one thing out. I think one of the best things is an absolute understanding of pressure, pt of balance & yield. Once you really understand those three concepts herding becomes so much easier. We have done exceptionally well getting our dogs titled thus far but I think we will see some huge improvements when handlers understand those concepts and can work on training around those concepts rather than just for passing a course. We have been training some of her drills and the improvements are massive. I also spent a lot of time talking to Trudy about different herding breeds, different temperaments in dogs and training methods and have related that to a lot of the individual dogs I am seeing & training with.

Wirey