Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK So my question is: can you show a neutered dog in a Brace property class? One would be neutered, not the other.

:o Good question. I checked the various regulations, etc, and decided (maybe incorrectly) that if the Class was included in a schedule then 'yes' given that Classes 15 through 18 are now General Classes. It would be dependent on the appropriate Neuter Class/es being offered and entered. It does not violate the ANKC Regulation that neutered exhibits may not compete again entire exhibits for Challenges and/or Best of Breed.

Disappointingly the NT appear to have dropped any reference to the Brace class. Don't know when that happened?

Australian Capital Territory:

6.23 Classification of Special Classes:

"Brace" For two exhibits of the same breed each six months of age or over owned by the exhibitor each of which has competed in at least one general class at the show.

New South Wales:

6.6 Classification - Special Classes

(1) "Brace". For two exhibits of the same breed each six months of age or over owned by the exhibitor each of which has competed in at least one General Class at the Show.

Queensland:

“BRACE” For two dogs six months of age or over of the same breed, the property of the same owner, each of which has competed in at least one breed class at the same exhibition, which are handled in the judging ring by the one person.

South Australia:

1. Brace

For two dogs six months of age or over and of the same breed, each of which is competing in at least one other Ordinary Class at the same Exhibition. Both must be handled in the judging precinct by one person.

Tasmania – the only one slightly different in the class may only be offered at Parades (??):

123 Parades may also offer the following classes.

BRACE – for two dogs six (6) months of age and over and of the same breed each of which has competed in at least one ordinary class at the same exhibition and the property of the same owner and handled in the judging ring by one person.

Western Australia:

4.4 Other Classes:

4.4.1 Brace - for two dogs, each six months of age and over, of the same breed, each of which has competed in at least one ordinary class at the Sanctioned Show and each of which is registered in the same ownership and are handled in the judging ring by one person.

This is all VERY involved, and seems to be focussing on the points/challenges systems - Kinda makes me nervous! :D

I have a few questions about the form:

1. Is there any other way of paying an entry fee other than sending a check with my entry slip?

2. Is MEMBERSHIP NUMBERS my personal Dogs SA number?

3. What is a Member's Subscription

4. Is my Breed Class Number 4-Hounds or do I have to add he is a Baby Puppy (5 months old at time of entry)

5. What is SPECIAL CLASS

I am hoping to enter the Collie Club Championship show at SACA park on May 21 & 22.....do I need to be a champion to enter or can I go as it is my first show ever?

Thanks in advance....... :cheer:

This is all VERY involved, and seems to be focussing on the points/challenges systems - Kinda makes me nervous! :p

1. Is there any other way of paying an entry fee other than sending a check with my entry slip?

4. Is my Breed Class Number 4-Hounds or do I have to add he is a Baby Puppy (5 months old at time of entry)

5. What is SPECIAL CLASS

I am hoping to enter the Collie Club Championship show at SACA park on May 21 & 22.....do I need to be a champion to enter or can I go as it is my first show ever?

Thanks in advance....... :rofl:

1. You can send a money order or if the show has online entries do it online - not sure if many SA shows are doing online entries.

2. Membership number is your dogs SA number.

3. Possibly this is for a club membership if you wanted to join the club. You don't need to be a member of a club to enter their shows.

4. Breed class number is baby puppy - 1 for a dog 1a for a bitch

5. Special classes are either property classes - best head etc if offered at the show - or sweepstakes.

Nope your dog doesn't have to be a champion to enter a championship show. This just tells you that if eligible your dog can get points towards his title at this show.

This is all VERY involved, and seems to be focussing on the points/challenges systems - Kinda makes me nervous! :p

5. What is SPECIAL CLASS

Thanks in advance....... :rofl:

Just be aware that it is the age of the dog from the first day of the show, not from when you enter which could be weeks/months prior.

1. You can send a money order or if the show has online entries do it online - not sure if many SA shows are doing online entries.

2. Membership number is your dogs SA number.

3. Possibly this is for a club membership if you wanted to join the club. You don't need to be a member of a club to enter their shows.

4. Breed class number is baby puppy - 1 for a dog 1a for a bitch

5. Special classes are either property classes - best head etc if offered at the show - or sweepstakes.

Nope your dog doesn't have to be a champion to enter a championship show. This just tells you that if eligible your dog can get points towards his title at this show.

THANKS!! :cheer::mad

• 3 weeks later...

;) My first ever show was a nightmare....only onwards and upwards... ;)

Thanks for all the help given here, without that it might have been worse (if possible!)

what happened?

Yes I am curious too :) If it helps I ran into the ring rope and had to admit to the judge I couldn't stack my pup - then when she went to look at his teeth he rolled over on his belly - this is under an international judge and the first dog in the group - only saving grace is that he was a baby and the judge was very kind :D

;) My first ever show was a nightmare....only onwards and upwards... ;)

Thanks for all the help given here, without that it might have been worse (if possible!)

what happened?

Yes I am curious too :) If it helps I ran into the ring rope and had to admit to the judge I couldn't stack my pup - then when she went to look at his teeth he rolled over on his belly - this is under an international judge and the first dog in the group - only saving grace is that he was a baby and the judge was very kind :D

Running into ring ropes isn't restricted to newbies. :rofl:

I ran into a ring rope and then got tangled on a post and hit the ground, and apparently bounced, on Saturday at Cowra. Much to the amusement of the Hound ring exhibitors. :o

Glad that the judge was kind for you. It always makes these things easier. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a question from a showing wannabe. :D

If your dog wins a baby puppy class it can only go on to win baby puppy in group, correct?

But if your dog is in a puppy class and wins, it goes into the running for challenge, not for puppy in group?

(I hope this makes sense!) :)

Dogs under six months of age are not eligible for challenge. So the male and female baby puppy class winners compete for baby puppy of breed, the winner of that competes for baby puppy of group, and the winner of that for baby puppy in show - but you are correct they don't compete for the challenge.

Puppy class is over six months, so the male and female puppy winners compete in the challenge line ups. But they also run off for puppy of breed, then group, and show, as above.

Dogs under six months of age are not eligible for challenge. So the male and female baby puppy class winners compete for baby puppy of breed, the winner of that competes for baby puppy of group, and the winner of that for baby puppy in show - but you are correct they don't compete for the challenge.

Puppy class is over six months, so the male and female puppy winners compete in the challenge line ups. But they also run off for puppy of breed, then group, and show, as above.

So each class will then go for their own section in breed... So Minor of breed, Puppy of breed, Junior of breed?

I am just wanting to learn as much as I can before I can start showing!

Thanks so much for your help, and all the previous advice in this thread!

Yes. Although in a numerically small breed you might have the only one of your breed in that age class and not have to run off against anyone to be, just for example, junior of breed. Then all the breed class winners get judged at group level, then the winner of that at show level.

When people say they won a 'class in group' or 'class in show' that's what they mean - eg baby puppy in group or intermediate in show, and so on.

For your first few shows just hang around near the ring until your breed has finished judging and you won't have any chance of missing a call to go back in for a run-off. But you'll soon get used to how it works and know if you're needed or not.

Edited by Diva

hi everyone i'm new to the forum and new to be showing, i show my own dog and am in a wheelchair at our very first show my puppy decided he was tired and climbed up onto my knee halfway round the ring i'm pleased we had a very understanding judge

hi everyone i'm new to the forum and new to be showing, i show my own dog and am in a wheelchair at our very first show my puppy decided he was tired and climbed up onto my knee halfway round the ring i'm pleased we had a very understanding judge

Awwwww

• 1 month later...

Hi whiskedaway, pixie and rally.....Sorry I didn't get back sooner.....mayhem at work....

We were "excused" in our first show and my boy was only 4.5 months old....he wiggled away from the judge twice when he 'lorded' over him and pushed on his shoulders too hard.......no one had ever seen such a debarcle in 25 years of showing.....anyway...it was not a nice first time and it has been hard recovering from it.

I am now very aware of what is involved in having a show dog and I really need to get to work training him and getting him to let me stack him.....we are slowly getting there but I need to ring the trainer my breeder suggested (I am currently letting the team down but always take in the hints and tips offered)

Now he is going slightly pigeon toed (just a growth stage) and I have no idea how to stack him....I almost want to pack it all in....but I find it quite fun. We are currently standing still with legs even and he stands still while checking teeth, but he is 6 months now and we are falling very behind........

Whisked away....what ring are you in?......it is easy to spot me......white face, shaking legs, and a Ridgeback that is pulling my arm out.....just look for the person with no idea..... hahahaha

I will be at the Gawler Show at SACA park on Sunday 17th July......

Edited by Diesel's Mate

• Troy unpinned this topic