Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

I haven't been there, but I did start on. Thursday night at KCC Park 7.30 with Lea Cogley. I was a complete novice and these seasons I found very helpful for e show ring - they tell/ teach you everything you need and results depend on how much time and effort you put in at home. This is also good or socializing our dog which is so important.

I agree - I have taken dogs (especially puppies along to Lea at KCC park to help them socialize and provide them with abit of ring training. A great start for beginners. Does anyone know of any other show training/practice groups or classes during the day in the south/east area of Melbourne as I can't go at night any more.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are available during the day I have been told there is show training on Monday morning at Petit Park Bell Post Hill, Geelong.

I hope to check it out myself today when I am in Geelong. There is a current post in the show section - Geelong show training that has all the details. Can let you know the format once I have attended - hopefully the storms/heavy rain hold off until lunchtime.

I can understand that those classes aren't what you are looking for. I go to show training at Bulla on a Wednesday evening when I can. It is an hour trip one way but I find it worthwhile for me and get there when I can. I believe that private classes are also held just not sure if there is the option of any other areas besides the Bulla venue.

While I know the classes at KCC Park have a good report - a 4 hour return trip plus the associated toll and petrol fees rule out attendance for me.

Maybe if you have the time to attend a class or two at Bulla they may prove benefical and who knows you may make contact with others interested in getting together for some private lessons.

You could count me into such a group for a couple of lessons down Geelong way if it was during the day - just to far to travel at night - although I couldn't commit for the long term due to distance.

Edited by Vacuna

Hi All...

Im a newbie to the world of dog showing and my Chow Chow has her first show this weekend coming. Lets just say im very nervous! ARGH!!!! But excited :D

Shes a very socialable puppy and thinks every dog just wants to play with her. The problem im having with training is getting her to stand. As soon as she sees the treat she sits. Guess that was my fault for training her to sit initially and she learnt that in the first week we got her. Im working with her on the stand and we've got it to about 30 seconds maybe longer sometimes but i dont think i'll be able to get her standing for the whole time by Saturday. Any tips?

Ive read so much about shows on this forum and loving the idea. Obviously Ive heard the lets say 'not so nice' stuff about the show world but I just want to be able to spend some time with my dog and seeing as though she thinks shes a princess and loves everyone looking at her this would be a great thing for us to do together and also spend some sister bonding time as my 13y/o sis is very keen to check it out and maybe join junior handlers.

Hi All...

Im a newbie to the world of dog showing and my Chow Chow has her first show this weekend coming. Lets just say im very nervous! ARGH!!!! But excited :D

Shes a very socialable puppy and thinks every dog just wants to play with her. The problem im having with training is getting her to stand. As soon as she sees the treat she sits. Guess that was my fault for training her to sit initially and she learnt that in the first week we got her. Im working with her on the stand and we've got it to about 30 seconds maybe longer sometimes but i dont think i'll be able to get her standing for the whole time by Saturday. Any tips?

Ive read so much about shows on this forum and loving the idea. Obviously Ive heard the lets say 'not so nice' stuff about the show world but I just want to be able to spend some time with my dog and seeing as though she thinks shes a princess and loves everyone looking at her this would be a great thing for us to do together and also spend some sister bonding time as my 13y/o sis is very keen to check it out and maybe join junior handlers.

Hi KT,

If she can stand for 30 seconds then I wouldn't be too worried. A 30 second stand for a baby puppy is brilliant. :thumbsup:

The most important thing at this stage is for you both to have fun and enjoy yourselves. You will both improve with time and practice. :thumbsup:

Enjoy your show in the weekend.

Edited by Keshwar

I can understand that those classes aren't what you are looking for. I go to show training at Bulla on a Wednesday evening when I can. It is an hour trip one way but I find it worthwhile for me and get there when I can. I believe that private classes are also held just not sure if there is the option of any other areas besides the Bulla venue.

While I know the classes at KCC Park have a good report - a 4 hour return trip plus the associated toll and petrol fees rule out attendance for me.

Maybe if you have the time to attend a class or two at Bulla they may prove benefical and who knows you may make contact with others interested in getting together for some private lessons.

You could count me into such a group for a couple of lessons down Geelong way if it was during the day - just to far to travel at night - although I couldn't commit for the long term due to distance.

Vacuna, I didn't know there was show classes on at Bulla, I thought it was only KCC park.

Bulla is much closer for me, can you give me the details please :D

Vacuna, I didn't know there was show classes on at Bulla, I thought it was only KCC park.

Bulla is much closer for me, can you give me the details please :D

Gumnut classes are held at Bulla on a Wednesday evening commencing at 7:00 pm and although scheduled for an hour they often go a bit longer depending on numbers. Numbers vary from week to week and you just turn up and pay to join in. PM me if you want any further information.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All...

KTs Here, I too am new, I started last July, and have had a ball! I was warned, "be careful, you don't which end of the lead the bitch is on" yet I have met some truly beautiful people who go out of their way to make you welcome and help you. But I have been wary! I have not yet come across the.... Let's call them "sad" people. The only time I have had ANY sort of negativity, was from one or two in my own breed. But even that was very minor, and I am sure they mean't well.

I knew so little about showing, I turned up at my first show with a chair and a brush in my hand bag! And sat there for most of the day with my puppy on my lap, ( and he ain't no lap dog!) Now it takes me half an hour to set up with all my stuff and I still only have one dog! *grin* But look out I am hooked, I really enjoy it, so go get them, and enjoy yourself as much as I have! Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am brand new to the show ring. I have a 15 wk old Brittany pup, our first show is on the 5th May!

Im going to a show handling training session this Thursday night which will help me to learn how to try standing my puppy hopefully.

My question is I have bought a basic nylon show lead to learn with but I cant get my pup to stop trying to chew it, and being a super soft nylon it has already frayed and it looking a bit sad. Ive only put it on him a few times, is it normal to go through a lot of these?

I am going to need to buy another one before our show I think,should I use one for training and another for the shows?

Hi mishB - welcome! I wouldn't call it normal to go through a lot of show leads... usually you correct puppy not to chew the lead - not harshly, just redirect their attention to something else :)

He will grow out of it, though, hopefully! Have fun at your first show training class - and i'll see you on the 5th May (no doubt we will meet, i sit with the owner of the only other Brittany showing in WA!)

Hi mishB - welcome! I wouldn't call it normal to go through a lot of show leads... usually you correct puppy not to chew the lead - not harshly, just redirect their attention to something else :)

He will grow out of it, though, hopefully! Have fun at your first show training class - and i'll see you on the 5th May (no doubt we will meet, i sit with the owner of the only other Brittany showing in WA!)

Ithink I am just over stressing about everything to do with showing at the moment!

He has managed to snag it with his sharp puppy teeth once or twice. I smeared a tiny bit of vicks on it the other day and he hasnt touched it since then touch wood.

It will be great to meet you on the 5th, it will be nice to see another familiar face when Rally Valley isnt around too.

Its so silly how nervous I am about this, Im a grown woman for goodness sake!

Hi All...

Probably by now you have had 100 tips re stacking your dog, but the best one I got was to practice by standing her across 2 chairs placed in front of each other, so I put her back legs on one chair and front legs on other and left little gap between the 2 padded seats, dangled a bit of juicy morsel in front of nose hey presto standing beautifully and with repeated short practices she "got it" quickly then we transitioned to table top which for some dogs is very intimidating, I don't think your breed has to do table top I think is a ground stack for judge to examine. but in our case with small breed we had to practice table and also ground, we are now to stage where I can get her to stack nicely after completing a circle, we practiced using a rolled up couple towels with tape to hold them in a roll and I had her stand over these once she got idea I removed the "padding" and it had imprinted on her so when I click my fingers and say stand she does :thumbsup: Oh and she is only 16weeks old :)

Good luck

• Troy unpinned this topic